Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotewillie]
I've got a Bergara HMR (6.5 CM) I'm setting up and am wondering about the rings to use. I'm going to put a Burris XTR 3-15x50 on it. Of course this is a 34mm tube. I've always liked and used Burris Signature rings and can get my 20 MOA with the inserts. But if I go with the shortest rings which are a medium, they measure, from the base to the bottom of the tube, 9/16". This gets my scope bell 1/2" above the bbl. That's mounted above the bore pretty high from what I've always tried to keep my scopes mounted. Or I can use a 20 MOA base and something like the Seekins low rings which are a 1/4" above the base which obviously mounts the scope 1/4" lower to the bore. So my question is, is it as important (as it used to be) to keep the scope as close to the bore as you can, when the rifle has an adjustable comb, which the HMR has?

Another question. I want to put a muzzle brake on this rifle. Went with a RPR first because the Ruger had less muzzle flip than the Bergara but obviously the Ruger is a heavier rifle. But I liked the HMR so much that I had to have one too! Yes the Ruger is heavier, but I think the muzzle brake works well also. So I was thinking about the RPR muzzle brake for the HMR. Or, should I look at something like the Area 419 or the Lil Bastard? Really anything is going to help and I'm satisfied with the factory RPR brake. Are they actually that much better for twice the price? Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Put a 20 MOA base on the rifle and a set of good quality Low height rings on there.  That is a better option and any sort of rings that mount directly to the action.  I prefer the American Rifle Co rings but there are plenty of of good rings out there that will work.

I'm also a big fan of the Area 419 Hellfire brakes.  They are very effective easy to use and the modularity of the whole system is phenomenal.  They hit the market right around a year ago, and the percentage of shooters running them at the Gap Grind this past weekend was pretty amazing.   
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Little Bastard and 419. They are on different rifles and calibers so I can't comment on effectiveness but the 419 is more user friendly.

I am certain you can find a effective muzzle brake that doesn't cost over $150 though .
My $40 DPMS/Miculek brake on my .223 works great so....
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the Area 419 Hellfire.  I've run the lil bastard as well.  you won't go wrong with either but the tool-less install and indexing indicators on the Hellfire are super helpful.  Plus I'm able to swap to my cans quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top