Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/2/2017 1:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigplayer2382]
EDIT: Well, you guys have been a huge help, and I took a lot of advice on this thread. Normally when I research stuff, I come across old archived threads which have so much info, but were never properly concluded. I don't want to do that here, so at the bottom I've added in an update (and of course pictures) after looking at the results and making actions on it. Thanks again for everyones help!

I currently own some AR15's in 5.56 and 300 blackout, some 22lr, and too many pistols. But I want something now which can go the distance with great accuracy, I'm talking 400m-1000m. You guys are the absolute experts so I come to you for advice.

I am only going to get one bolt action rifle in my life, and I want it to be the an all around great fit that I'll never feel compelled to upgrade or get another. (). I have a local shooting range which has ranges out to 600m, and on certain days they open up a 1000m range. So I do have access to shoot the distance. I'd love to learn to shoot distance and eventually start tapping 1000m targets, whether its paper or steel. Cost per round always tends to influence how much I shoot, but I have reloaded before and still have the gear.

Sounds like 6.5 is the clear winner for me so far, right? Hold the phone! I, like most arfcom and military members, fantasize of being invaded by some Norks, Russians, or Chineses... you know... a real life Red Dawn. So I would like this thing to not only be able to reach out and gently tap a 1000m target, but also destroy an invader in its tracks from 800-1000m out. A man can dream!

On a more realistic level, It would also be great to take it out west and do some distance hunting 700m out.

So based on all those factors, what would you recommend for me? 6.5 Creedmoor, or 300 Win Mag?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the 6.5 and learn to use it well. You'll enjoy it for more things. Then, when you get over this faulty thinking about only having one bolt gun, you can get the magnum, a .22 bolt with threads and so on.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're not planning on "gaming" the rifle by entering precision matches and such, then the .300 is what you seek.  The big benefit of the 6.5 is the recoil or lack of rather.  For a gaming rifle, you need to be able to see impacts and make adjustments and that's tough to do with the .300.  If you're concerned about long range accuracy AND hunting at distance AND watching your impacts isn't important, the .300 is your answer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigplayer2382] [#3]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Get the 6.5 and learn to use it well. You'll enjoy it for more things. Then, when you get over this faulty thinking about only having one bolt gun, you can get the magnum, a .22 bolt with threads and so on.
View Quote
I actually have a Savage 22lr MARK II FV-SR. I got it for fun and that is actually what sparked this interest haha. My wife is a beast with it, So I would love to teach her with something more longrange too. So I was leaning towards the 6.5 because of recoil, but... but.. what about the Norks and the Chineses..

Originally Posted By Luke77:
If you're not planning on "gaming" the rifle by entering precision matches and such, then the .300 is what you seek.  The big benefit of the 6.5 is the recoil or lack of rather.  For a gaming rifle, you need to be able to see impacts and make adjustments and that's tough to do with the .300.  If you're concerned about long range accuracy AND hunting at distance AND watching your impacts isn't important, the .300 is your answer.
View Quote
Im confused by what you mean when you say that then 300 is harder to watch your impacts on. Why is that? I figured bigger round going through the air it would be easier to see an impact on and the trail of? Or is it because the recoil is so great it throws you off?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#4]
7mm mag would probably fit between those too.  Long range, more common ammo, easy on the shoulder

And 260 Remington compares to cm, but you can form brass from 308...
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, recoil makes calling your shots very difficult with a .300 WM.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
1,000 and under get the 6.5.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
6.5 is what you seek. It has much less recoil and blast, as well as inexpensive, quality factory ammo.

.300 WM is a hitter, but it punishes you and you really would want to reload to get results out of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, when speaking of energy at distance, the 6.5's hold their own due to good BC.

Attachment Attached File

http://www.winchester.com/products/rifle-ammunition/Innovative/Expedition-Big-Game-Long-Range/Pages/S65LR.aspx
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
A .300WM is not an enjoyable rifle to shoot. Unless you like pain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
6.5CM will kill the crap out of stuff at 1000, plus:

Non belted, easier to reload.

Less recoil, easier to shoot.

Has good/inexpensive factory ammo, cheaper to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
6.5CM will kill the crap out of stuff at 1000, plus:

Non belted, easier to reload.

Less recoil, easier to shoot.

Has good/inexpensive factory ammo, cheaper to shoot.
View Quote
Doesn't feel like getting kicked by a horse.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I voted let me see the poll results.  One bolt action rifle Faulty logic! Get a heavy 6.5 Creedmoor and a light weight hunting type  .300 mag. That way you'll appreciate the little Creedmoor more but have something actually light enough to hunt with. This is not marriage you can have more than one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I am seeing some excellent responses here which I am really enjoying reading, thank you! The poll seems very one sided on this. Can someone tell me the difference between energy at 1000 meters compared to BC? What is BC?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#16]
So energy will be reliant on bullet weight and velocity. You would really need to know what exact loads you want to compare, because an inefficient bullet design has a major impact on energy at that distance.

The load I listed for you was the Winchester 6.5 Creedmoor with a 142 gr Nosler AB LR. The BC is ballistic coefficient, or a numeric representation of how efficient the bullet is at traveling and bucking wind.

That 6.5 load I showed you claims a BC that is a biiitttt optimistic, if you ask me. Pick two loads you want to compare and we can help you out. Even if you just know brands and application, like Federal hunting loads v Hornady match ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
To get comparable BC you will need to look at some heavier options for the .30 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had both (well a 260 REM) and currently only have the 300WM.  

That said, I'd recommend a 6.5 variant of some kind.  Everything is easier with it; load development, reloading, recoil, spotting your own shots, etc. and it still has plenty of power to get you comfortably to 1000.

Some quick calculated numbers though, on my 300 with the 225 ELD-Ms (using .749 G1 BC) at 5000+ft of altitude:

1997.7 ft lbs of energy @1000 yds and stays supersonic past a mile.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
First oP if you don't know what a BC is then you need to do some more homework before getting into long range shooting and sending rounds to 1000+. BC is something you should know. It's important in figuring data and one of the things to look at when choosing a good long range bullet.
View Quote
What do you think this thread is?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigplayer2382] [#22]
I understand that but BC is very basic knowledge. If you are just learning that then you should definitely not be going near a belted magnum out of the gate. Not being rude so please don't take it as that but it's best to start small and work up. Most people that jump into this sport with magnums usually end up buying another rifle and shooting it more. A good friend just went through this and wouldn't listen to be and had to have a "big magnum" as he thought that was he only way. It isn't.

Get the Creedmoor and learn the sport. You will be much happier.
View Quote
I am not taking offense to it, but I am also not like your friend. This is part of my research, I have shot tens of thousands of rounds but none ever past 400 meters unless its on an automatic weapon, which doesn't count. I am leaning more towards the 6.5 based on what people are using in competitions, based on this poll, and based on what peoples replies have been. But I also am still questioning the 300 win mag, because I dont want to just follow blindly, I want to come to a concrete decision myself. I know literally nothing about distance precision other then basic shooting fundamentals, and I am quick to admit that. I have not heard of BC, nor have I heard of many other terms, but that does not mean I will not learn them in time. I am a total of 2 days into my research.

A big thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around is ft lbs of energy. I understand that its basically how hard the slap of the round is, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the difference in 2000 ftlbs of energy at 1000m from a 300 win mag and 1000 ft lbs of energy at 1000 meters from a 6.5. I get it, more mass, faster speed = more energy... but that still doesn't do visual justice to me. Does anyone have any videos showing a difference in the foot lbs of energy between different calibers other then just a chrono + math? Like I'm just going to straight up guess at these numbers, but I imagine the 6.5 CM has the same ft lb of energy at 300 meters as the 300 winmag does at 1000 meters, or something like that... but that doesnt mean they are equal hunting wise, right?

I stumbled upon the 'Taylor Knock Out Formula', which is velocity (in fps)* diameter of round (in inches) * Velocity / 7000   to give a reference of "Kill Energy". Has anyone heard of this? or does anyone use this? Or a better alternative?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I voted 6.5 Creedmoor. The second I read the word "wife" in your original post you may have just stopped typing right there. If she is truly going to participate, get the 6.5 and don't look back. Recoil is for manly men, the ladies I've had an opportunity to shoot with typically aren't excited about it. My wife has fired more rounds than I have through my RPR. Why? It is super accurate and low recoil. She can focus on technique and getting hits, and that is a satisfying day at the range for her.

*Not to derail the thread but you need to start learning about quality scopes right now. That will be a much harder decision than the rifle you decide on ;)
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL. My wife shoots a 8.5# .300WM.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

She loves that thing. Me not so much.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MtnRoamer] [#25]
Originally Posted By bigplayer2382:

A big thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around is ft lbs of energy. I understand that its basically how hard the slap of the round is, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the difference in 2000 ftlbs of energy at 1000m from a 300 win mag and 1000 ft lbs of energy at 1000 meters from a 6.5. I get it, more mass, faster speed = more energy... but that still doesn't do visual justice to me. Does anyone have any videos showing a difference in the foot lbs of energy between different calibers other then just a chrono + math? Like I'm just going to straight up guess at these numbers, but I imagine the 6.5 CM has the same ft lb of energy at 300 meters as the 300 winmag does at 1000 meters, or something like that... but that doesnt mean they are equal hunting wise, right?

I stumbled upon the 'Taylor Knock Out Formula', which is velocity (in fps)* diameter of round (in inches) * Velocity / 7000   to give a reference of "Kill Energy". Has anyone heard of this? or does anyone use this? Or a better alternative?
View Quote
It is just a measuremnt of energy.  But to shed a little more light on what actual numbers could represent, a quick google search gives this from Colorado Parks and Wildlife "A commonly accepted threshold for the minimum amount of kinetic energy needed to kill an elk is 1500 ft-lbs. For whitetail deer, the minimum amount of kinetic energy is 1000 ft-lbs."

Edited to add: bullet choice, shot placement, and minimum speeds at which the bullet will reliably expand will play a huge role as well for hunting.  It's not just the energy variable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome, you guys have all been a huge help, and helped me decide on the 6.5. Any recommendations on a bolt action 6.5CM? I saw the Tikka T3x A1 and I love it, but at $1700 w/o scope is fairly expensive and might need something cheaper. I will run this thing suppressed with a F1 suppressor.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmore.   ~$400 and out of the box with good glass can hit at 1800 yards.   I have one, have not shot it that far, but with my omega on the end it sure shoots nice!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Could always get the Tikka CTR as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at the Bergara HMR. They run about $900 and are very accurate and come set up with DBM.
View Quote
This is good advice.

OP I was in the same predicament, 6.5vs300 and I went 300. Now I love my 300wm, don’t get me wrong, but for a foray into long range shooting, 300wm is harder to learn on, much more expensive even considering I reload, and overall requires more effort.

I won’t be selling my 300 for a 6.5, but I can tell you that I’m working on a 6.5 already.

The Bergara is a really nice looking option. It’s a 700 receiver footprint, so you have all the accessories, they’re extremely accurate, and have a barrel nut so you can switch tubes easily at home. I’m personally looking at a “The Fix” build for my 6.5, but I’ve thought long and hard about the Bergara, and still may end up with one down the road.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By -Time-:

This is good advice.

OP I was in the same predicament, 6.5vs300 and I went 300. Now I love my 300wm, don’t get me wrong, but for a foray into long range shooting, 300wm is harder to learn on, much more expensive even considering I reload, and overall requires more effort.

I won’t be selling my 300 for a 6.5, but I can tell you that I’m working on a 6.5 already.

The Bergara is a really nice looking option. It’s a 700 receiver footprint, so you have all the accessories, they’re extremely accurate, and have a barrel nut so you can switch tubes easily at home. I’m personally looking at a “The Fix” build for my 6.5, but I’ve thought long and hard about the Bergara, and still may end up with one down the road.
View Quote
Is this  what your referring to?
Pretty damn expensive lol. I would honestly love a bolt action with rails and adjustable stock and all the Gucci Tac stuff lol, but it seems that adds a ton of cost to it. It would be nice to find one sub $1000
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Take a look at the Bergara HMR. They run about $900 and are very accurate and come set up with DBM.
View Quote
This will probably be your best bet for getting a rifle you won't grow out of. The Ruger precision rifle is another great choice which can be modded in minor ways at home to be exactly what you need for a long time.

As for the Ruger American, the Tikka CTR and many others, the stocks do the job, but many report wanting an upgrade soon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I have both calibers.

I don't shoot the .300 Win Mag much these days.  The 6.5 seems to be my choice more and more.

I'm actually thinking about rechambered the .300 to something else. Looking for any modern versions of the .264 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Of the two, the 6.5 CM.   If you want to add a few others to the mix, the 260 rem and the 6.5 x 55 swede.   Just depends on how many rounds you plan on shooting a day and what you can tolerate in recoil.   The 6.5 CM has given me the smallest groups but the other two are no slouch
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Well I think the poll speaks for its self, 55 votes against 24  votes. But what matters more to me is best for me , and according to the polls, 30 votes say the 6.5CM is what I seek, while only 3 say the 300WM is what I seek.

6.5 CM is without a doubt the clear winner here. So that is what I will be getting. Now onto the research of rifles! Thankfully I am not going in blind and have been given some awesome recommendations on where to start!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:38:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vet2007] [#39]
Maybe take a look at this book while you are at it.   It will answer a lot of questions for you.  

Long Range Shooting Handbook
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
I bought a Bergara about 2 weeks ago. LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a 6.5x47 Lapua that is shoot match and would hunt with.  I just got ride of my customer built 300 Win Mag because I wasn’t using it.  The 6.5 is soft shooting, pricey brass, but is a joy and accurate at distance.   The 300 was heavy to absorb the recoil, it was accurate with some loads I worked up but the brass for that size caliber wasn’t cheap either.  For the weight, cost and recoil I didn’t see it being beneficial for me, thus the 6.5x47L rifle.  

Good luck either way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:54:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#43]
My 11 year old shot 36 rounds of 6.5CM (12 3-shot groups) yesterday (was trying to work on his form/breathing/trigger pull). He “warmed up” with about 200 rounds of .22LR.

He would have shot twice that amount, except he was starting to get tired and was ready for some lunch.  Recoil was never an issue. I doubt he’d have made it through that much .300WM.

He’s not ready for competition, but deer/hogs within 200y better watch out (didn’t bring the micrometer but was about 1.5ish MOA).
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]
The 6.5 Creedmoor is virtually identical to .300 Winchester Magnum with none of the side effects.

I own both and will never part with the 6.5.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By schleutj:
Ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmore.   ~$400 and out of the box with good glass can hit at 1800 yards.   I have one, have not shot it that far, but with my omega on the end it sure shoots nice!
View Quote
I agree with this, especially based on the OP's current state of experience with decently accurate rifles.  Here's the deal...he spends minimal money on a RAP 6.5CM and finds out that he's not that excited about precision shooting or hunting with a bolt rifle.  With the Ruger he has little investment to worry about.  The more expensive glass can be transferred to another gun or sold.  In the case of a RAP, IMO the glass should cost more than the gun.  RAP's are amazingly accurate, competent rifles.

Now, let's say the OP finds out he's extremely interested in bolt rifle precision and hunting.  He can keep the inexpensive RAP 6.5CM for a lightweight field hunting rifle and buy a more expensive, high quality, precision rifle for long range shooting/hunting...a win/win.  Or the OP could just drop the RAP action/barrel into a higher quality stock/chassis for a noticeable upgrade.  I did this with a .243 RAP by swapping the OEM stock for a $400 MDT-LSS chassis.  I love that rifle.  Several options exist here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#46]
OP must not have much experience shoot bolt guns.  The 300WM will beat the crap out of you with little to no benefit.  Unless you are smacking giants you don't need it.  If you want to get a rifle to shoot and not cause you to develop a flinch or go blind get the 6.5Creedmore.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bigplayer2382:I am only going to get one bolt action rifle in my life, <snip> Cost per round always tends to influence how much I shoot, but I have reloaded before and still have the gear.

<snip> I, like most arfcom and military members, fantasize of being invaded by some Norks, Russians, or Chineses... you know... a real life Red Dawn. So I would like this thing to not only be able to reach out and gently tap a 1000m target, but also destroy an invader in its tracks from 800-1000m out. A man can dream!
View Quote

A) Limiting yourself to one bolt rifle in a lifetime is <well> poor decision making up front.
B) in any foreign invasion scenario, 308 is better than 6.5 CM or 300WM, and 300 WM is better than 6.5 CM--unless you stockpile thousands of round making supplied at a seriously well hidden bug out place.
C) recoil would have me choose 6.5CM over 300 WM, but it depends on your build, muscularity,.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:43:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigplayer2382] [#48]
This thread is a bit old, but I feel like I have to post the overall outcome of this thread.

Due to the overwhelming results of this poll (honestly was my turning point), 6.5 was the clear choice for me and my wife.

What we ended up buying:
-Tikka T3x Tac A1 6.5 creedmoor - $1,850
-Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50  ebrc-2 reticle -$850
-Spuhr 3602 mount - $300
-Atlas bipod BT-65 - $185
-Griffin Armament taper Paladin muzzle break (so F1 titanium suppressor can mount) - $75

This thing is absolutely amazing, and my wife loves it as well. I dont think she would have enjoyed a 300 win mag all to much, but this one, she asks to go shooting very often. Make no mistake, I am not saying "she loves it, so because of that I like it"... no no no, i freaking am in love with this thing. Not one single regrat in this purchase.

I am not shooting any special ammo as I blew the budget on the rifle. I found a really good deal on Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr FMJBT for about $0.55 /round. and it has been shooting very wonderfully. 0.58" grouping at 100 meters, and at 300 meters my buddies and all were all able to shoot around or less then a 3" group. So all and all I want to say thank you to the forums and post a follow up. It can always be a little disappointing researching into an archived thread which never had a conclusion.

Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Congrats. Nice rifle. I guess you thought this through Ehh?

I have yet to find 140 gr ammo that does not shoot well in my 6.5. The Hornady 140 and 147 ELDM are a little better than other factory ammo for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I see that you're in Maryland. What parts? There's a few of us in southern Maryland that shoot precision rifle and travel for matches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top