Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2017 1:06:35 AM EDT
I'm am finally looking to upgrade my 110 that I have owned and love shooting and hunting with since 1994 when i bought it. It is the LA chambered in .308W. I know there are many options and lately i have been looking at going with a Choate tactical stock and having the CDI precision bottom metal done in order to use the Magpul AICS poly mags. Another option I have been looking at has been the MDT LSS-XL chassis to drop it in. I have plenty of spare AR parts to make this a viable option but my only major concern is the cost of the metal AICS mags and the fact that I will have to put the shorter .308W in a longer mag designed for the .300WM or .30-06. Will this feed reliably or will there be a lot of hassles with it?

I have looked at a lot of pages, searched and have asked on a couple forums but no answer yet.

I don't really hunt much but have been getting more in to learning precision shooting and it is a good mind clearer from the day to day stresses.

Any ideas, experiences, or questions you have would be greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
When you say "308W" I'm assuming you're referring to .308 Winchester, 7.62X51...correct?...but then your Savage 110 designation would indicate a long action like 300WM.  It kind of sounds like you have a long action Savage...300WM, etc.  However, you mention you're concerned about using long action mags for "308W" which sounds like you have a .308 Win/7.62X51.  Isn't a Savage 110 a long action rifle?  Could you clarify?  This would make a big difference on your options.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it is a .308 Winchester. Before Savage started having the designation of 10 for SA (short action) and 110 for LA (long action) the 110 was LA only even for the SA cartridges, This is where they kinda became famous with their barrel nuts for easy barrel changes and small modifications of the blind magazines that they came with do do changes.

From savage shooters forum:

"The Model 110FP Police rifle was introduced in 1990 and is still being produced; it has a 24-inch barrel, a non-reflective finish for the metalwork. In 1995, the initial Model 110FP was replaced by the Model 110FP Police Tactical rifle; this version has a graphite/fiberglass stock with a glass fiber barrel bedding system, sling swivels, and more chamberings (the first version of the Model 110FP was chambered only in 5.56mm and 7.62mm). "
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahhh...got it...wasn't aware of that.  Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem with long action mags, but I'm not knowledgeable about any potential of running .308 in a long action mag...but doesn't sound promising from my limited experience.

On the MDT chassis models, I have two of those for short action...6.5CM and .243.  They have been perfect with no issues.  My 6.5CM is a Savage, but it's conventional short action.  I'm guessing MDT doesn't make anything specific for your application.  Have you called them for any options?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fordw60s] [#4]
Local guy who I heard about them just said to bring it in to try and see. Local but not convent so just been trying my research in it before I try to make sure it is a viable option.

No option for that model, it is either LA or SA but the cdi precision does have a bottom metal for that particular model tgat instead of using $100 AICS mags I can use $40 magpuls.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fordw60s:
Local guy who I heard about them just said to bring it in to try and see. Local but not convent so just been trying my research in it before I try to make sure it is a viable option.

No option for that model, it is either LA or SA but the cdi precision does have a bottom metal for that particular model tgat instead of using $100 AICS mags I can use $40 magpuls.
View Quote
Yeah, that CDI setup looks like a good option.  Man, that company is serious about modding a lot of different brands to accept mags.  I use the Magpul AICS mags in both of my MDT's, and they work great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Savage unlike Remington has made some changes to their actions over the years so there a few different layouts, at least on the short action. The action is such a small cost compared to a quality stock, barrel, etc that I would be inclined to get a more current rifle to work with.

It's a bit like spending a lot of money to customize a gen 1 glock.

There are such good deals with the rebates currently on the rifles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I have that same action with the first Choate Tactical stock. I had to bed it as it did not sit in the stock well. It's an OK stock for the price. I think MDT will have an offering but I gave up on that option as I sold the rifle and got an FN SPR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Got confirmation from MDT LA magazines wont work and they will have issues plus needing to machine the bottom of the receiver. So I will be be going with a Bell and Carlson stock and CDI bottom metal. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure it'll work with 308? I would suspect all the la mags will be a pain in the ass with 308.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to have one of those rifles, a long action 308. Ultimately, I traded it off and picked up a short action 243 (which I promptly changed to a 308 barrel via a swap), because I had long term ideas about adding a DBM bottom metal. I never got around to the DBM, but my 308 short action Savage has shot pretty well for me on the few times I took it out for plinking.

I hate to say it, but for what a used, basic hunting rifle like this would sell for, I would recommend you use it as is, or sell/trade it to get the action you want. Surprisingly to me, at the last few local gun shows I've gone to, I have not seen many used Savage rifles available (for the $250 to $400 I'd pay for one), but I have seen a decent number of older Remington 700 short actions. These would make a fine candidate for an upgraded rifle.

The main thing I like about the Savages is that you can easily change the barrel. I do not care for the overall feel of the action, or the various changes to the short action over the years (like the bolt release and action screw spacing) that has made aftermarket parts less widespread. Some of my Savages have weak ejection and an atrocious bolt lift also, so as much as I appreciate the modular nature of the Savage rifle, I now prefer a Remington 700. When I wear out the barrel on the 223 Rem 700 I have, I'll get a barrel nut and new barrel for it. But note: I buy rifles with the idea that I'll put a thousand rounds a year through them, and in reality, it's closer to 500 rounds a year spread over 2 or 3 bolt actions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:15:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fordw60s] [#11]
It would work with the CDI precision DBM that they have made for this model Savage. It is a LA for 223/308

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/savage-model-110-series-long-action-223-308-box-dbm/

As far as the rifle it wasn't set up as a basic hunting rifle, it has the target crowned bull barrel and has a smooth action compared to my Rem 700 in 223 right now that i just picked up last year.
It only has about 1,000 rounds through it and it will well out shoot my capabilities as of right now. To get a comparable rifle that I have (really Haven't seen may used ones for sale) would be the Savage 10FPT or the Remington 700 SPS tactical. These have 20" barrels where as mine has a 24" barrel. Both retail in the $600 range. which is why i dont really see the need to just get a new one. I could defiantly see it if it was a regular hunting rifle it wouldn't be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like you have a very good rifle. I did not realize CDI made a long action bottom metal for 308 mags. That adds some good options. My LA Savage was nothing special, a very basic package rifle with a birch stock, and it had a fairly rough action. I got it for a little under $300, and got a few bucks less out of it when I traded it.  

If you ever want to add a new stock, Boyds makes the Pro Varmint stock, a nice target style stock. You can select a custom option for the finish, which brings up other wood options, and for a few bucks extra, you can get the stock in laminated wood or even solid walnut. I have one of these stocks in a forest laminate for a Mauser 98, and it's a very good stock for the price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fordw60s:
It would work with the CDI precision DBM that they have made for this model Savage. It is a LA for 223/308

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/savage-model-110-series-long-action-223-308-box-dbm/

As far as the rifle it wasn't set up as a basic hunting rifle, it has the target crowned bull barrel and has a smooth action compared to my Rem 700 in 223 right now that i just picked up last year.
It only has about 1,000 rounds through it and it will well out shoot my capabilities as of right now. To get a comparable rifle that I have (really Haven't seen may used ones for sale) would be the Savage 10FPT or the Remington 700 SPS tactical. These have 20" barrels where as mine has a 24" barrel. Both retail in the $600 range. which is why i dont really see the need to just get a new one. I could defiantly see it if it was a regular hunting rifle it wouldn't be worth it.
View Quote
I have this exact rifle and have wanted to add bottom metal and a different stock for some time.  I really appreciate the thread and information OP.

Are you going to send your rifle in for the bottom metal install?  I clicked on the link and am led to believe that machining is required for the install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top