Posted: 8/24/2017 3:43:02 PM EDT
From Kentucky Gun
decent entry level for a young man?
It's a gift I wanna give to a local kid
Can't beat the price after rebate & 20 FFL
Thoughts on the package please
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know nothing about the rifle but as a gift if it makes you feel good and helps a kid get outdoors more power to you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
"Advice on now rifle"

Thread in GD where a member recommends it. Maybe look through there and ask him. Says it's been accurate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought one yesterday. Hopefully it arrives next week. At the price it was too good to pass up, especially since I can throw my can on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigsauer_pdx:
I just bought one yesterday. Hopefully it arrives next week. At the price it was too good to pass up, especially since I can throw my can on it.
View Quote
Where did you buy it from?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Where did you buy it from?
View Quote
I bought from Woodbury Outfitters. I had to call in though to get free shipping.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Looked long and hard at these but ended up buying a Savage FV in 6.5. It was a hard decision.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one in 223 and one in 308.  Have a Kahles z-95 6x42 on the 308.  Running the SS/77 cam on top and it is doing well with malaysian ball and federal M80.  Shoots well, just don't make an issue of the stock.  i shoot it standing for the most part, so the forearm flex is not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one in .300wm. I put a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 on it. I've shot 150gr and 200gr federal loaded with Barnes bullets through it. Nothing impressive yet, but I also need to shoot from a more stable position/rest.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I volunteered to help out during the Hunter sight in yesterday at my Rifle Club, and one guy had this same setup (w/a crossfire 2, 3-9x40).
It looked like a great, well built rifle and the guy ended up getting it pretty dialed in and seemed accurate after that..
That young man should be totally happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one in 300 Win Mag and easily achieved TC's sub MOA guarantee.

Here is my write up, with pictures of groups/rifle:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-sub-MOA-rifle-for-less-than-the-price-of-a-HiPoint-40-UPDATE-sub-MOA-achieved-pics-on-p-3/5-2047837/?page=1
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased one 2 weeks ago from Academy Sports.  Here's the deal:  List price: $399.00    Academy Sports price: $299.00  Academy Sports Sale price: $275.00    Special Fam and Friends Weekend, additional 10% off on all purchases, brought it down to :$250.00, Thompson Center Rebate of $75.00, brought final price down to $175.00.  Just can't beat that.  I got mine in 6.5 Creedmoor.  I mounted a Vortex Diamondback Scope on it and will shoot it sometime during this week...(next week).  They look to be a really good "utility" gun.  We'll see.  I just handloaded some rounds for it.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#15]
Originally Posted By EvilVaquero:
I purchased one 2 weeks ago from Academy Sports.  Here's the deal:  List price: $399.00    Academy Sports price: $299.00  Academy Sports Sale price: $275.00    Special Fam and Friends Weekend, additional 10% off on all purchases, brought it down to :$250.00, Thompson Center Rebate of $75.00, brought final price down to $175.00.  Just can't beat that.  I got mine in 6.5 Creedmoor.  I mounted a Vortex Diamondback Scope on it and will shoot it sometime during this week...(next week).  They look to be a really good "utility" gun.  We'll see.  I just handloaded some rounds for it.

Happy Trails!
View Quote
Awesome.  I think 6.5 is about the ideal caliber in this rifle.  One of the videos I posted showed a guy making long-range hits on steel with his 6.5.

@EvilVaquero

Could you please do me a favor?  Would you mind posting a short range report in the GD thread I linked above,  after you try the rifle this week?
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll see what I can do, I'm not sure how to do pics, but will give accurate measurements.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll see what I can do, I'm not sure how to do pics, but will give accurate measurements.
View Quote
Thanks!  Appreciate it.  

I'd imagine the results I'll be good - especially in 6.5.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Guys I hate this place lol. Don't need one in the least but for that price and the results I've seen that is pretty crazy. I am really considering a .223. Those that have them whats the aftermarket like? Any other options on mags aside from the rotary they come with? I did see that Boyd's is making stocks for them. But honestly for the price I'd probably just buy the vortex combo and leave it as a farm varmint rifle that I could put a can on.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilVaquero] [#19]
HA! HA!   I have bad news for you.......Dicks Sporting goods now has them on sale for $179.00 after $75 dollar rebate.  Just sayin  

Happy Trails!

JUST IN      Academy Sports has the Savage Axis XP on sale for $199.00 and that INCLUDES a Weaver 3-9X40 scope.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilVaquero] [#20]
OK, today was range day and a tryout of my new Thompson Center Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor.

First thing I did after all the safety checks was to take 6 rounds and fire them downrange, at nothing in particular.  I wasn't aiming, just fouling the barrel a bit.

Second thing I did was to take 4 rounds and get the scope on target (I had previously boresighted it.   (Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40(my just in case scope))

There was a 10-15 mph wind at my back quartering from the southwest.

OK, Groups:  measuring center to center, Biggest was: 1.129" (3 rounds) (first shots for group) Next was: .988 (5 shot group)Next was: .598 (3 shot group) Last was : .552 (3 shot group)    

I was satisfied that this met their claim of less than one MOA at 100 yards with quality ammunition.  They did not specify that it had to be factory ammo, so I used my own handloads using a 120 grain Hornady A-Max.  My handloads are quality  

So there ya have it folks....Happy Trails!

Sorry to Dominion21  but I'm not sure how to link something to anything, so I just put it here, hope you read.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, today was range day and a tryout of my new Thompson Center Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor.

First thing I did after all the safety checks was to take 6 rounds and fire them downrange, at nothing in particular.  I wasn't aiming, just fouling the barrel a bit.

Second thing I did was to take 4 rounds and get the scope on target (I had previously boresighted it.   (Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40(my just in case scope))

There was a 10-15 mph wind at my back quartering from the southwest.

OK, Groups:  measuring center to center, Biggest was: 1.129" (3 rounds) (first shots for group) Next was: .988 (5 shot group)Next was: .598 (3 shot group) Last was : .552 (3 shot group)    

I was satisfied that this met their claim of less than one MOA at 100 yards with quality ammunition.  They did not specify that it had to be factory ammo, so I used my own handloads using a 120 grain Hornady A-Max.  My handloads are quality  

So there ya have it folks....Happy Trails!

Sorry to Dominion21  but I'm not sure how to link something to anything, so I just put it here, hope you read.
View Quote
THANKS EVIL VAQUERO!! (yes, I meant to shout that.  Because I really am thankful for the range report

With the accuracy proven yet again,  I just do not see how you can wrong with these for $179 after rebate.  

Anyone else try theirs out at the range recently?  Results?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
How does it feel for the price, bolt stock etc? I've looked at the axis before an hated how it felt, even with my smaller hands the wrist of the stock was way way to thin and flimsy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilVaquero] [#23]
For the price, it feels great.  This Thompson Center Compass is VERY accurate, in fact, exceedingly accurate for the money.   You mentioned the Axis and it's stock.   It serves the purpose, in fact, the Axis, in my opinion and experience is just a hair more accurate, however it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Compass. No Accutrigger while that of the Compass is adjustable, and no threaded muzzle while the Compass has one.

If you are looking for a rifle that has a great stock, look elsewhere, these stocks work, and serve their purpose,  but they aren't a H-S Precision stock.  I have the H-S Precision stocks on my Remington 700's @ $445.00 each.)

Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Boyd's rifle stock company is now making wood replacement stocks to fit the Compass.

And the price of a Compass rifle has dropped to about $175 now after rebate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#25]
where do you find this rebate?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sylvan:
where do you find this rebate?
View Quote
T/C Compass Rebate
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By isptroop38:

T/C Compass Rebate
View Quote
What a steal.  Seriously.  Sub MOA sub 200 dollars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top