BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting article.  I'll wait for a while before I pull the trigger on something this new.  At least Ruger's RPR was backed by a 100y old industry titan.  This rifle is more interesting, but we don't know if they will end up pulling an MPX on us and leaving us with a .308 bolt gun with no support and no future.

Not being a negative Nancy, just being a realistic Ronnie.  (see what I did there, do ya?)  I'd love to have one....after they prove their mettle (damn, another one, I'm on a roll).
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:38:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#3]
KRG is coming out with a  new action and rifle. Really excited to see that one to. So far the Q rifle looks like something I should probably have...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Izhevsk54r] [#4]
Can't embed, but looks interesting and that bolt throw

Q's "The Fix"
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:29:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#5]
I think it's quite silly how much innovation is apparent with this rifle, it's actually fantastic.  I can't imagine all of that development and engineering going on, and then the decision to chamber the fucking thing in .308.  

Come on man.  

Call me when you guys come to your senses and chamber the rifle in a ballistically superior, factory-supplied cartridge.

Unreal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALex:
I think it's quite silly how much innovation is apparent with this rifle, it's actually fantastic.  I can't imagine all of that development and engineering going on, and then the decision to chamber the fucking thing in .308.  

Come on man.  

Call me when you guys come to your senses and chamber the rifle in a ballistically superior, factory-supplied cartridge.

Unreal.
View Quote

From the website "CALIBER(S) – 7.62 x 51mm (16”) / 6.5 CREEDMOOR (20”) / 338 FEDERAL, 300 WSM"
Reading is hard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FALex:

Come on man.  

Unreal.
View Quote

Sigh....try again guy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the appeal of a quick-change barrel system?  Do you really ever need to change a barrel in the field?  It only takes 10 minutes to change a regular barrel in the garage.  I'd guess that since barrels will be "special" for this system, they will be in the $800+ neighborhood?  I had a DTA SRS briefly, it was lame.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By erud:
What's the appeal of a quick-change barrel system?  Do you really ever need to change a barrel in the field?  It only takes 10 minutes to change a regular barrel in the garage.  I'd guess that since barrels will be "special" for this system, they will be in the $800+ neighborhood?  I had a DTA SRS briefly, it was lame.
View Quote

all custom level stainless barrels are in the price range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:18:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#10]
I want one.

Nice lightweight package that'll fit in a standard AR case or maybe even something smaller.  

Looks like it's going to be more than a pound lighter than any of the current Gen 2 AR10 options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Fozzy-:

From the website "CALIBER(S) – 7.62 x 51mm (16”) / 6.5 CREEDMOOR (20”) / 338 FEDERAL, 300 WSM"
Reading is hard.
View Quote

Would like to see one in 260 or 280 AI.
I'd be just about as happy as I can get.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
First thought was cool just another bolt gun then I saw the videos of them working the bolt
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I just decided to put off my Tikka Creedmoor build in favor of night vision, but now I think this rifle might be a better route for me. I can set up a tikka like this for 2k, or just start right out with a custom level rifle for a bit more. Plus, I like the AR styling and ergonomics. I'm interested to see the accuracy reports.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
I just decided to put off my Tikka Creedmoor build in favor of night vision, but now I think this rifle might be a better route for me. I can set up a tikka like this for 2k, or just start right out with a custom level rifle for a bit more. Plus, I like the AR styling and ergonomics. I'm interested to see the accuracy reports.
View Quote

The recoil article sais bartlein blanks chambered by dave tooley,  I imagine accuracy will be very good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Dude....get all 3.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

No they aren't.  Krieger, Brux, & Bartlein can be had regularly for $330-$380 + shipping.  I bought 2 barrels from Brux last summer for $300 cash each.  My gunsmith charges $195/barrel to cut, crown, chamber, turn down muzzle for sight base, and install.  That's a long ways from $800.  Once that's done, I can swap barrels on my own with a barrel vise and action wrench.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Dude....get all 3.
View Quote

You're making a lot of sense right now. Tough to argue with that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#18]

You're making a lot of sense right now. Tough to argue with that.
View Quote

Not to mention you will need night glass for the 6.5 tikka and Q rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]

No they aren't.  Krieger, Brux, & Bartlein can be had regularly for $330-$380 + shipping.  I bought 2 barrels from Brux last summer for $300 cash each.  My gunsmith charges $195/barrel to cut, crown, chamber, turn down muzzle for sight base, and install.  That's a long ways from $800.  Once that's done, I can swap barrels on my own with a barrel vise and action wrench.
View Quote

Thats less ta lot of smiths and is at least 100 short for threading the muzzle.  The smith I use is about 315 to chamber and 125 to do the muzzle and that isn't uncommon. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are paying $440 for labor to get a barrel set up, I'd look for another gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are paying $440 for labor to get a barrel set up, I'd look for another gunsmith.
View Quote
thats the going rate for top tier shops.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#22]
Ok, if you say so.  My smith has been in business since 1981, and has done over 3,000 barrels.  He charges $195.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, if you say so.  My smith has been in business since 1981, and has done over 3,000 barrels.  He charges $195.
View Quote
Your sample set of 1 really means something in how the market determines price, really it does. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Lol, yeah I guess so.  If you're good with paying double + for the same work, be my guest.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Lol, yeah I guess so.  If you're good with paying double + for the same work, be my guest.
View Quote

I've never had a smith make me a full custom barrel, so I don't have a horse in the race here.  But since we were talking "top tier" offerings I know that you don't go to a Ford dealership to buy a Ferrari.  So I went here:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/29/best-rifle-gunsmiths/

Arguably the top 20 precision rifle smiths in the country, putting out verified award winning barrels.  I'd consider these "Ferraris".  Clicking through and checking out the services offered it was hard to find a smith listed there to do a full fitment, chambering, and muzzle threading for less than $400.  They are averaging about $450 with some hitting close to $575 for this service.  

Nothing is wrong with driving a Mustang GT, heck, I want one.  But just because my Mustang is quick and makes me smile doesn't mean I can't understand why a Ferrari costs so damn much more.  

Enjoy your barrel, but if "your smith" was putting out Ferrari's he wouldn't be some no name smith, you'd say his name and his pricing structure and everyone would just go "oh, damn good barrel maker that guy is".
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#26]
If these are available in 6 months I'll get one in Creedmoor. My life isn't complete without a Creedmoor so I hope they hustle up and start moving these.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#27]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

I've never had a smith make me a full custom barrel, so I don't have a horse in the race here.  But since we were talking "top tier" offerings I know that you don't go to a Ford dealership to buy a Ferrari.  So I went here:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/29/best-rifle-gunsmiths/

Arguably the top 20 precision rifle smiths in the country, putting out verified award winning barrels.  I'd consider these "Ferraris".  Clicking through and checking out the services offered it was hard to find a smith listed there to do a full fitment, chambering, and muzzle threading for less than $400.  They are averaging about $450 with some hitting close to $575 for this service.  

Nothing is wrong with driving a Mustang GT, heck, I want one.  But just because my Mustang is quick and makes me smile doesn't mean I can't understand why a Ferrari costs so damn much more.  

Enjoy your barrel, but if "your smith" was putting out Ferrari's he wouldn't be some no name smith, you'd say his name and his pricing structure and everyone would just go "oh, damn good barrel maker that guy is".
View Quote

Your Ferrari vs. mustang analogy suggests that one of the 2 will perform better than the other for some reason.  That's not the case.  There are other shooting disciplines besides PRS, and folks in those disciplines also know how to shoot, and how to fit barrels.  At the end of the day, being a current "top shop" in PRS circles just allows you to charge PRS-type shooters more money for the same work.  It doesn't make your work perform better than another skilled gunsmith that specializes in another discipline like F-class, NRA Prone, Benchrest, etc.  Gunsmithing is not rocket science, and it's not voodoo.  It's skilled machine work.  A smith that knows how to correctly measure, and how to set up his machinery can fit a barrel that will shoot better than you are capable of holding.  Even if he isn't an employee of GA Precision.  I promise.

Since you have never actually had a barrel fitted by a gunsmith before, I can understand your reasoning in wanting to use a smith with a big name.  I am merely suggesting that after you have gone through this process 5, 10, 20, or more times like some of us have, and you start to get a feel for what the smith is actually doing for you, you might start to question whether the name at the top of the invoice really justifies paying double or more for the service.  

Anyways, there probably isn't a lot of point in derailing the thread any further.  I'm a capitalist, so if guys are willing to pay $400-$575 to get a barrel fitted, that's fine with me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Robby Johnson's history with the Remington PSR/MSR drove that requirement.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#29]
What's the appeal of a quick-change barrel system?  Do you really ever need to change a barrel in the field? It only takes 10 minutes to change a regular barrel in the garage.  I'd guess that since barrels will be "special" for this system, they will be in the $800+ neighborhood?  I had a DTA SRS briefly, it was lame.
View Quote

It takes me 60 seconds to change the barrel on my AIAT at the range with an allen wrench

Sometimes people have multiple barrels for the same rifle that they want to test at the range on the same day.  Quick change barrels have their place.  I didn't need the feature, however, it is nice to have it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

It takes me 60 seconds to change the barrel on my AIAT at the range with an allen wrench

Sometimes people have multiple barrels for the same rifle that they want to test at the range on the same day.  Quick change barrels have their place.  I didn't need the feature, however, it is nice to have it.
View Quote

I think the appeal is just being able to change the barrel. Also you could run a worn but shootable barrel for practice then switch back for a match.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:

I think the appeal is just being able to change the barrel. Also you could run a worn but shootable barrel for practice then switch back for a match.
View All Quotes

I know of at least one guy that has barrels in multiple calibers with his AT that he takes to the range at the same time to shoot.  I am way too lazy to do that but it seems to work for him
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Even the fact that you never have to take it to a smith when you shoot your barrel out. It's as simple as changing the barrel on an AR.

But then if you want, you can be running a 20" Creedmoor one weekend and jump to a 16" 358win if you have the need next weekend. Depending on what they produce, of course.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I won't end up with one, but i'd like to play with/shoot one.  Hopefully i'll run into someone who has one  It is cool that they too some ideas from other platforms and incorporated it into something new.  The best mags will probably be KAC or LaRue to get the most OAL
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#34]

I hate the cost of the AICS mags.
View Quote

Try owning a TRG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mathecb:

Try owning a TRG.
View Quote

I would be a sith lord with that much hate in me
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Try owning a TRG.
View All Quotes

I hate the cost of the AICS mags.

Try owning a TRG.

Even the CTR mags aren't cheap.  I found some for $105 shipped but the cheapest TRG 22 magazines that I can find are $175 shipped.

They make AI magazines seem cheap in comparison.  I have 15 of them for my AIAT now
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I found a guy who's making some aftermarket TRG/CTR mags that will supposedly be pretty good. Hopefully he pulls through.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Even the CTR mags aren't cheap.  I found some for $105 shipped but the cheapest TRG 22 magazines that I can find are $175 shipped.

They make AI magazines seem cheap in comparison.  I have 15 of them for my AIAT now
View Quote

I thought CTR and TRG 22 mags were identical.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I found a guy who's making some aftermarket TRG/CTR mags that will supposedly be pretty good. Hopefully he pulls through.
View Quote

It's not the Alpha Mag guy is it?  I sure hope not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
IMHO this is the coolest new gun at SHOT 2017.

In terms of concept and physical design nothing else is even close.
View Quote

Of what I've seen, it's something that is actually new. Not just the same old stuff with new accessories. This and the SiCo maxim are are definitely my favorites.

I'll be impatiently waiting for Q to start shipping these rifles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View All Quotes

They were originally and the CTR can still use TRG magazines. However, Sako decided to put a plastic plate on the bottom of the CTR mags so that they would no longer work with TRG mags. CTR mags are around $90-$100 while most places are charging $200+ for TRG mags. You can get them for around $180 or cheaper if used.

No, not to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

They used to be, however, it was decided to release a cheaper version for the CTR that has a plastic base plate.

Tikka CTR

TRG 22

The TRG 22 magazine works in the CTR but not the other way around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:58:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#46]

They were originally and the CTR can still use TRG magazines. However, Sako decided to put a plastic plate on the bottom of the CTR mags so that they would no longer work with TRG mags. CTR mags are around $90-$100 while most places are charging $200+ for TRG mags. You can get them for around $180 or cheaper if used.

No, not to my knowledge.
View All Quotes

No, not to my knowledge.

That's good.

Do you have any leads on the CTR mags for $90-$100?  I have only been able to find them for $105 shipped at the cheapest.  I have found TRG 22 magazines for $170 new though.

ETA: I should state that I have seen a few CTR mags listed for $98 but have never seen them in stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#47]
So what's the source for mags with the most room for longer COAL for The Fix?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#48]
So what's the source for mags with the most room for longer COAL for The Fix?
View Quote

From what I have seen the Larue magazine seems to be the best option.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/668401_What_SR_25_Compatible_Mags_Allow_longer_than_SAAMI_C_O_A_L.html
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#49]
So that's got 20rd mags covered

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-762-20-round-magazines

How about 5 and 10 rounds mags?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#50]
So that's got 20rd mags covered

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-762-20-round-magazines

How about 5 and 10 rounds mags?
View Quote

All I can find right now is ASC or KAC but the KAC are $$.

Here is a link for more info...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/653141_Who_makes_a_good_metal_10_round_SR25_magazine_.html
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top