Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 12/27/2016 5:31:58 PM EDT

New bolt action rifle dropping at shot show from "Q". The guy running it (kevin brittingham) was the designer of the original honey badger. Supposedly under 3k MSRP, quick change barrels, short throw bolt, new receiver design, etc. Looks pretty good to me. Hopefully it isn't vaporware for 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a straight pull, like a Blaser. Interesting
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the receiver looks like a casting too. If i can buy spare parts i'll probably purchase one. I've got some deployment $$ earmarked for a new bolt action
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
from the originator of the wobble mount. lol

cool concept, but i think ill pass. i can have a tikka t3x ctr, a krg w3 and a solid optic for less than this thing.

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a 10 round 308 pmag. Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Fozzy-:
Looks like a 10 round 308 pmag. Interesting.
View Quote
it takes sr-25 pattern magazines
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I like. Only thing I wish is that the stock attached at a high point for a more in-line recoil path.

"Under 3k" seems kind of low for a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this not remind anyone of a weird bolt action AK?

No? Just me? Okay...
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
AR15's are turning into bolt guns
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm intrigued.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jccobb2:
https://s29.postimg.org/8ebjblj2f/image.jpghttps://s30.postimg.org/6uptw2axd/image.jpg

New bolt action rifle dropping at shot show from "Q". The guy running it (kevin brittingham) was the designer of the original honey badger. Supposedly under 3k MSRP, quick change barrels, short throw bolt, new receiver design, etc. Looks pretty good to me. Hopefully it isn't vaporware for 3 years.
View Quote

I was one of those people chasing the MPX while it was vaporware.  And it was worth it.  It appears this may be in that same category for my personal wishes/desires.  If it is a quick change barrel, straight pull rifle I'm interested.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
according to the "q" instagram page it's a 45 degree short throw bolt. the quick change mechanism has yet to be demonstrated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
according to the "q" instagram page it's a 45 degree short throw bolt. the quick change mechanism has yet to be demonstrated.
View Quote

I really think the PRS series will be overtaken by straight pull quick change barrel rifles in the next 10y.  Whoever jumps on that train now, and establishes a GOOD reputation will have a solid business for years to come.

Imagine taking your competition rifle and swapping the barrel out for a 22LR or 5.56 chambering for practice.  Not a practice rifle of close approximation, but the exact rifle you use in competition.  Also, semi-auto will probably never take over PRS due to the recoil impulse hindering spotting your own shots, seems competitors really want that bolt action recoil impulse.  But decrease the cycle time by going straight pull and you get a huge benefit there.  And if you were able to make this mythical rifle under 10lbs optics included using aluminum for the reciever (like the one in the OP), carbon fiber for the barrel (partner with Proof), and carbon in the chassis/stock...you would have a heck of a contender.  

Do some inventive feature on the fore-end having 1" deep holes with embedded neodymium magnets for quick change accessories.  Barricade stops, bi-pods, tripod mounts, etc.

I'm really interested in rifle development for PRS, I see things evolving there...fast.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Where on Instagram I can't find his page ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#14]
More info.

The Fix Is In at Q
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:

Where on Instagram I can't find his page ?
View Quote

https://www.instagram.com/the_official_q/
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
commercial website will launch at shotshow
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn...this definitely has me interested. Seems like a fun rifle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
This is why I wait to buy anything towards the years end. Hope to see more!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Someone commented  "Pre-order coming soon?" To which Q commented "Hell no"
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I see mags being an issue.  Every last little bit of mag you can get will matter.  I also think releasing in 308 only isn't the best option.

I expect to see at least one of their employees shooting one in the PRS in 2017
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I see mags being an issue.  Every last little bit of mag you can get will matter.  I also think releasing in 308 only isn't the best option.

View Quote

Has this been stated somewhere?  The only thing I've read so far is that it'll be a switch barrel setup.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By m6z:

Has this been stated somewhere?  The only thing I've read so far is that it'll be a switch barrel setup.
View Quote
It will be switch barrel but it will only be 16" 308 initially.  I have no insider info, that was taken from comments from an instgram post.  

I wouldn't expect barrels to cost about 800, because that is what barrels cost.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
from the originator of the wobble mount. lol

cool concept, but i think ill pass. i can have a tikka t3x ctr, a krg w3 and a solid optic for less than this thing.
View Quote

Meh I have all that and still think this would be a cool stick.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
Someone commented  "Pre-order coming soon?" To which Q commented "Hell no"
View Quote

there will be no preorders at all; not that there will be and they will be way off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

how will mags be an issue? they take as close to an industry standard as exists for the ar-10 platform (sr25 pattern)
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Jack] [#26]

how will mags be an issue? they take as close to an industry standard as exists for the ar-10 platform (sr25 pattern)
View Quote

They are short enough to limit the bullets and loads you can use. 3" would be better.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

They are short enough to limit the bullets and loads you can use. 3" would be better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Yep length not availability 
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep length not availability 
View Quote

Eh, if they were 3" you'd see me jump in here to complain because my favorite load right now is eeking into 3.01" and a 3" mag isn't quite enough hahaha
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:18:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't normally see something new and think that I must have it. This is definitely the case for this system!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Eh, if they were 3" you'd see me jump in here to complain because my favorite load right now is eeking into 3.01" and a 3" mag isn't quite enough hahaha
View Quote

It can definitely be an issue.  In the last few months bullet makers have been releasing bullets that are really going to push the limits of what you can fit in a magazine.  Off the top of my head the 110 SMK in a 6mm Creedmor is something that would likely not fit right off the bat.  My rifles I can load up to 2.95 or so and it doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a difference. 
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]
The thought of this rifle chambered in 6.5 saum with a Razor gen 2 4.5-27x is stuck in my head right now. Is that possible?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the idea. I really do.
But I think to get a gun like this REALLY RIGHT, he needs to spend as much time as possible developing it. He is clearly doing cans, a honey badger, and this rifle all together. Getting this thing right will take time. Especially a truly reliable, repeatable barrel change system.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
The thought of this rifle chambered in 6.5 saum with a Razor gen 2 4.5-27x is stuck in my head right now. Is that possible?
View Quote

No.

Not as currently shown.  Saum is a magnum bolt face, then there are no mags that work.  The action and mags are double stack double feed.  To make it worse 6.5 Saum really wants to be loaded a touch over 2.800" and you're going to run out on room using SR-25 mags, if there was even a mag that would work.

I think it's a cool platform, but it is not going to be a do all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#35]

No.

Not as currently shown.  Saum is a magnum bolt face, then there are no mags that work.  The action and mags are double stack double feed.  To make it worse 6.5 Saum really wants to be loaded a touch over 2.800" and you're going to run out on room using SR-25 mags, if there was even a mag that would work.

I think it's a cool platform, but it is not going to be a do all.
View Quote

Well dang, I guess we'll see if it evolves into something more. It's definitely neat already though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SilenceThis:
But I think to get a gun like this REALLY RIGHT, he needs to spend as much time as possible developing it. He is clearly doing cans, a honey badger, and this rifle all together. Getting this thing right will take time. Especially a truly reliable, repeatable barrel change system.
View Quote

So how are you so sure of how long he has spent developing this?  What if he has been working on it for 10y and just now has all the kinks worked out to release it?  How do you know it isn't really right as it sits?  What makes you think he's developing the Honey Badger at the same time as this?  How about the fact that the Honey Badger exited development in 2012-2013, and was released in 2014 by AAC.  It was part of AAC pushing the 300blk to market.  AAC got out of the rifle business all together in 2015 however so this rifle (and all their others too) was discontinued.

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I do know that I'm not going to make blind assumptions about the answers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#37]

So how are you so sure of how long he has spent developing this?  What if he has been working on it for 10y and just now has all the kinks worked out to release it?  How do you know it isn't really right as it sits?  What makes you think he's developing the Honey Badger at the same time as this?  How about the fact that the Honey Badger exited development in 2012-2013, and was released in 2014 by AAC.  It was part of AAC pushing the 300blk to market.  AAC got out of the rifle business all together in 2015 however so this rifle (and all their others too) was discontinued.

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I do know that I'm not going to make blind assumptions about the answers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SilenceThis:

There are people who work there with backgrounds out side of the suppressor industry.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#38]
It basically looks like a copy of a Merkel KR-1, so I'm assuming it runs fine, and should be going into production pretty soon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I didn't say he was pushing it to market too soon. I never meant to even imply that I knew how long he had been working on it. If what he has here is what we all seem to THINK he has here, it could be ground breaking. Big time. That means big time R&D and big time field testing before launch.
Also, there's pictures of a honey badger that Q made and is supposed to be at shot this year (maybe a rumor, but there's plenty of pictures of it).
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Should appeal to me, but it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I think this looks really cool, can't wait to hear more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm hoping this also takes AICS type mags to solve the length issue.  Seems like they'd have had this in mind with the market they're aiming for.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mike047:
I'm hoping this also takes AICS type mags to solve the length issue.  Seems like they'd have had this in mind with the market they're aiming for.
View Quote

It really doesn't look it does.  Ruger also has a patent on the multiple magazine thing.  I'm not sure how broad it is, but that could be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#44]

It really doesn't look it does.  Ruger also has a patent on the multiple magazine thing.  I'm not sure how broad it is, but that could be an issue.
View Quote

The good news is you can't patent an idea, only how you implement that idea.  As long as a competitor is doing the thing differently, they are not infringing.  But man, what a brilliant idea.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
it takes SR25 mags (aka 308 pmags)
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#46]
it takes SR25 mags (aka 308 pmags)
View Quote
That's why I said it doesn't look like it takes AICS 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#47]
That's why I said it doesn't look like it takes AICS 
View Quote

Thank god
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Saw on Instagram that they're going to be $2750, I'm grabbing one as soon as they're released. Should make a nice new hunting rifle to replace my ARs that I'm moving out of CA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#49]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Thank god
View Quote
I like AW mags but I'd rather have a mag AICS than a pmag
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I like AW mags but I'd rather have a mag AICS than a pmag
View Quote

I hate the cost of the AICS mags.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top