Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2016 9:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vhmpyr214]
So a few months ago I got a Remington 700 Police. I was not really a fan of the HS stock because of the somewhat fat grips. I was gonna get rid of it and find something different and get a DBM while I am at it. Instead I experimented and decided to get the 60 dollar Magpul DBM and here you have it....

This was the rifle before the DBM....

[url=http://
http://]
and this was the project for the evening

I took off the hinged plates and started trimming the front area to take in the Magpul DBM

I started off using a box cutter, and almost cut myself

So here comes the Dremel tool and took off a lot of the material and got the job done to fit in the Magpul DBM...

The Magpul DBM has a rib on the front area of the magazine well which I removed so I could fit the assembly into the HS aluminum block, but it was not enough that the Magpul DBM was a tight fit in the Aluminum block causing the plastic magazine well to flex a little making it difficult in removing the magazine...so I trimmed the area to make it work...I trimmed the aluminum block a bit, then I realized that trimming the cheaper plastic might be a better idea..

Once I got that figured out...the magazine did not want to go in easily and it needed quite some force to make it stay on and lock up. The after a few minutes, I saw a little piece of metal ( right below the receiver and in front of the trigger assembly / right behind the back of the magazine follower.....that square face right behind the magazine follower ) that was causing the magazine to stop going up and lock up....so I trimmed the back area of the cheap 5 round Magpul magazine that came with the set and I was good to go...

Here is the Magpul DBM installed on an HS stock with a little elbow grease and a little patience. The whole process took about 3 hours. I am not a gunsmith or anything, I just like to do a little project here and there with my own guns. I was wondering if it was going to work, and since I was gonna get rid of the HS stock anyway I figured I would experiment. So now I am going to keep the stock with the new cheap Magpul DBM.

I was waiting for someone to do this to their rifle so it would give me an idea.....

Once this Houston weather clears up and stops raining I will take it to the range and do a little test fire...just in case you all are wondering I cycled some dummy rounds and it worked perfectly!

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting this. I've been considering this exact setup, but hadn't seen anybody actually try it. Good to know it is possible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
How's the trigger it looks extremely close almost touching in the second to last picture. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By heel-grabber:
How's the trigger it looks extremely close almost touching in the second to last picture. Thanks
View Quote

The trigger works perfect...its close, but Rem700 triggers barely moves when pulled. The trigger of course is stock but polished that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice thank you for posting this!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By heel-grabber:
View Quote

Just be aware that people who are running after market triggers are having the issue of the trigger touching the trigger guard...especially the straight trigger from what I have learned looking all over in the internet....but I think it can be solved by trimming the plastic trigger guard.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for posting!

I have a Rem/HS Precision stock that I will be doing this with.  A friend has a mill so we will probably do it on there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Thanks for posting!

I have a Rem/HS Precision stock that I will be doing this with.  A friend has a mill so we will probably do it on there.
View Quote

it would be nice to have a mil...that way you can just cut out the area where the DBM needs to go.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By vhmpyr214:
it would be nice to have a mil...that way you can just cut out the area where the DBM needs to go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for posting!

Your tips will help us though.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Thanks for posting!

Hey no problem....I know a lot of people are thinking of doing this mod to a non magpul stock. I myself was waiting for somebody to do it to give me an idea, but once I got the DBM in the mail I could not wait and there was no turning back.

Using the dremel tool was not too bad, I over cut some area on the stock and I was just going to leave it as it is. But...when I removed the action the first time, I saw that Remington or whoever did the glass bedding job did not do a good job. So now I am waiting for some bedding kit so I can re-do it and might as well fill in some gaps while I am at it.

Anyway, good luck on your project and for a cheap DBM you will for sure like it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the dbm aluminum or metal, or does it have metal inserts at the action bolt holes? What keeps plastic from cracking when torqued to proper 65in/lb?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
So does it work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
So does it work?
View Quote

Yes it works....
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AdamJ:
Is the dbm aluminum or metal, or does it have metal inserts at the action bolt holes? What keeps plastic from cracking when torqued to proper 65in/lb?
View Quote

The DBM is all polymer like almost everything else that Magpul makes...the only thing metal I can see is where the action screws goes into, there's metal inserts there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome job.
I'm glad I saw this because I was just debating whether to try it or not.  I bought the hunter 700 stock and mag kit.  IMO the stock sucks unless you plan on only shooting from of a bench, prone, or just want to be tacticool.  For 90% of my hunting situations where my body is vertical while shooting, it is awkward and unnatural to hold.
Anyways, I do like the detachable mag and pricing/availability of these mags though so I'm gonna get the Dremel out and go at the factory stock.  One good thing is that with the magpul stock out now, there are 700 stocks everywhere for next to nothing in case I screw it up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting this.  I am going to give this a shot on my B&C stock.  Did you have to take any material off the sides?  It looks like I will need to take about .125 off the front and just skim the sides.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
Thanks for posting this.  I am going to give this a shot on my B&C stock.  Did you have to take any material off the sides?  It looks like I will need to take about .125 off the front and just skim the sides.
View Quote

If you are asking if I took off any on the sides of the DBM, the answer is no...I am sure there is no problem though if you are going to do some minor inletting later on.

I did shave off the front of the DMB as I posted on the photos because it will not fit in my HS aluminum block....

Right now I am working on re-bedding the rifle just because I wanted to close the gap between the barrel and the stock...it was too much for my liking. That being said, I am also doing some minor inletting on the DBM to close up some of the gaps since I dremel out too much on some areas and minor texturing on the stock itself...then duracoat the stock and the rifle.

I will be posting it here in a week or two.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]

If you are asking if I took off any on the sides of the DBM, the answer is no...I am sure there is no problem though if you are going to do some minor inletting later on.

I did shave off the front of the DMB as I posted on the photos because it will not fit in my HS aluminum block....

Right now I am working on re-bedding the rifle just because I wanted to close the gap between the barrel and the stock...it was too much for my liking. That being said, I am also doing some minor inletting on the DBM to close up some of the gaps since I dremel out too much on some areas and minor texturing on the stock itself...then duracoat the stock and the rifle.

View All Quotes

I ment the sides of the stock.  I will be removing the "web" from the front of the mag well and maybe those little tabs on the sides.   I will be using a mill so it may go a bit easier for me.  We will see...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]

I ment the sides of the stock.  I will be removing the "web" from the front of the mag well and maybe those little tabs on the sides.   I will be using a mill so it may go a bit easier for me.  We will see...
View All Quotes

hahaha...yeah the ones on the side of the DBM is the reason theres a gap on my stock vs the DBM...I tried cutting a channel for the tabs to fit in. but it was not perfect.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I got mine back from the gunsmith finally. It looks just like OPs but in a B&C Alaskan stock. It feeds really well too. I put 50 through it yesterday to break it in.

It's possible, it just takes some work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is my shot at it:
I started off making a fixture to hold the stock.  It didn't come out super stiff but it did the job.
Standoffs for the extrusion

Extrusion next to the stock.  The stock is a Boyds Tacticool which is a black painted wood laminate.  I figured I could practice on this and then if I screwed up I wouldn't be out a whole lot.  Note that I have milled the barrel channel on this stock in the past because the stock comes ready for the Remington varmint profile and my barrel is larger than that

Decided that while I was at it I would make some pillars to pillar bed the stock

Getting the spacers lined up and starting to torque things down

In the mill

A preliminary fitting.  This gun is chambered in 6x47 Lapua and feeding from the Magpul setup is like butter.  So much better than the factory bottom metal.  The magazine lockup is tight so I may have to relieve it like
vhmpyr214 did.  Waiting until I bed the stock before I do any more.  I will have more pictures at that time but it will be a few weeks.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#22]
^^^ now that's how you do it!!! very nice!!!!.....

I am glad more people are now doing the Magpul DBM on a non-magpul stock.

Mine is finally done with all the re-bedding and re-texturing the stock. When the humidity lowers a bit here in Houston I will start painting the rifle and the stock.
I did a little experimenting on the texture so that would be something different for everyone to see....
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I finally got it done...

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I did mine on a mill too.  I just clamped it to the table...

I took off the little tabs and the truss up front and back.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
you guys with a mil makes me very jealous...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Very nice!!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice!!  
View All Quotes
Very nice!!  

Thanks...I am actually proud of it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Would this work on a LTR DM ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#29]

<a href="http://s648.photobucket.com/user/vhmpyr/media/12670107_978083578907524_2617214894221161389_n_zpsbgw8hgte.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/vhmpyr/12670107_978083578907524_2617214894221161389_n_zpsbgw8hgte.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s648.photobucket.com/user/vhmpyr/media/12715757_978083475574201_2699915959047361247_n_zpsh6z3agpm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/vhmpyr/12715757_978083475574201_2699915959047361247_n_zpsh6z3agpm.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Very nice!!  

<a href="http://s648.photobucket.com/user/vhmpyr/media/12670107_978083578907524_2617214894221161389_n_zpsbgw8hgte.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/vhmpyr/12670107_978083578907524_2617214894221161389_n_zpsbgw8hgte.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s648.photobucket.com/user/vhmpyr/media/12715757_978083475574201_2699915959047361247_n_zpsh6z3agpm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/vhmpyr/12715757_978083475574201_2699915959047361247_n_zpsh6z3agpm.jpg</a>

You should be, very nice job.  For those of us wondering, you guys made it happen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally done. The magpul needs some fine tuning finish wise. But figured i'd post the results. Many thanks to the OP and others who took some time to make it work.

Think i need to relieve a little more here as the mag is a tight fit when removing. Not that Drop free as i'd like

Is everyone else this short upfront ?

Stock inletted

Finished product
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I did not shorten the front piece on mine.  I did file an angle on the cross piece on the stock that hits the back of the well.  My mag was kind of tight even before I inlet the piece.  I don't think it will drop fee unless you take quite a bit of material off both pieces.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't shorten the front of the DBM on mine as well...and mine does not drop in as well, especially after I bedded mine with some devcon to close out some gaps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jim:
Finally done. The magpul needs some fine tuning finish wise. But figured i'd post the results. Many thanks to the OP and others who took some time to make it work.

Think i need to relieve a little more here as the mag is a tight fit when removing. Not that Drop free as i'd like
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/100_2405_zpsqroqztvk.jpg

Is everyone else this short upfront ?
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/100_2406_zpscnx5tbjk.jpg

Stock inletted
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/100_2407_zps21kjlogv.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/100_2409_zps5baxjube.jpg

Finished product
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/100_2416_zpsb0bc6hq6.jpg
View Quote

also Jim, check your mail....I sent you the process as best as I could describe it on paper...let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#34]
My conversation:

Also my first attempt at painting a stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#35]
Has anyone added the Magpul arrangement to a Remington 700P with a factory detachable magazine? It seems like a good upgrade for the troublesome factory DM. If so, how did the conversion go? How much inletting did you need to do to the factory HS Precision stock? Did the Magpul magazine feed well, despite the 700 DM receiver's lack of feed lips? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
Has anyone added the Magpul arrangement to a Remington 700P with a factory detachable magazine? It seems like a good upgrade for the troublesome factory DM. If so, how did the conversion go? How much inletting did you need to do to the factory HS Precision stock? Did the Magpul magazine feed well, despite the 700 DM receiver's lack of feed lips? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
View Quote

Keen to know this too, as just got a H-S Precision made LTR DM stock last week that I want to update to allow me to use it with AI magazines.

Who has the best current deal on the Magpul DBM magazine assemblies?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I made it work on an h s stock. I used files, took my time, trimmed the tabs and part of the front and fitted the rear of Nagpul part. Bedded it down and mags fit great. It's definitely not a job for someone who is not inclined mechanically or not good with tools. If you are though, it's not bad at all. Basic parts fitting, everything is soft, easy to work with. Not like steel
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#38]
The rear upper tang needed to be trimmed also and the front tang got shortened and thinned a bit to fit the aluminum chassis. Then I bedded the rear tang area for solid support. I do not wish to take it all apart for pics of that though, sorry. NOT sure how to upload pics either
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice work and thanks for sharing. This and a Karsten check piece could turn my HS into a keeper!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#40]

I got mine fitted into a B&C M40.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sigman68] [#41]
I was having lots of issues with the factory internal magazine.  Since installing the Magpul system, I have not had a single issue in 137 rounds.

Rifle is chambered in 6x47L.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#42]
Anyone have Magpul DBM installed on a Rem 700 with a jewel trigger? GTG?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By icecoast:
<a href="http://s95.photobucket.com/user/vr6lvr28/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2567.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/vr6lvr28/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2567.jpg</a>

View Quote

How was that install?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Anyone have Magpul DBM installed on a Rem 700 with a jewel trigger? GTG?
View Quote

I have a 700 P with a jewel & Magpul DBM ,works great.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By tx1021:

How was that install?
View All Quotes
<a href="http://s95.photobucket.com/user/vr6lvr28/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2567.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/vr6lvr28/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2567.jpg</a>

How was that install?

I too am interested in this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I have one installed on my B&C stock. Shoots and feeds great. Couldn't be happier. Install was fairly straight forward. Material was removed from both the stock and the bottom metal. Here's some pics, will be happy to answer any questions! I overcut on some areas, but no one would notice unless looking for it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#47]

How was that install?
View All Quotes

How was that install?

PM'd icecoast about the M40 and he was kind enough to send me some pictures and explain what he did.

I used a dremel with sanding wheel and a stencil out of thick paper. The front tab is removed and on the back of the rear tab I trimmed the support ribs. Relieved the entire magwell area along with the front mounting lug. Cleaned off some edges on the magwell and went little by little until it fit snug.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top