User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 82 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
Just out of curiosity, can you quantify "a bit?" Are we talking 10-20 rounds or 40-50+?

I'm sure it's probably been discussed in this 80+ page thread but I'm late to the party and haven't found the page with the table of contents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Originally Posted By M4-AR:

It took mine a bit to settle in
Mine too.
Just out of curiosity, can you quantify "a bit?" Are we talking 10-20 rounds or 40-50+?

I'm sure it's probably been discussed in this 80+ page thread but I'm late to the party and haven't found the page with the table of contents.
Mine is the 6.5cm, it took 150-200 rds to really break in.

After that I moved to handloads and got more improvement.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#2]

View Quote
Mine took about 80 rounds before the groups tightened up.

ETA: my rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes

The 6.5 Creedmoor took about 100 rounds and the 5.56 took about 200 rounds to settle down.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got a chance to shoot my new RPR in 6mm Creedmoor.  Here is the group from rounds 11-15 through it, and I suck at shooting groups. I am very pleased so far.  Ammo was Hornady 108gr ELD Match, scope is a Vortex Viper 5-15x44, front and rear bags. Now I just need practice a little more, chrono, make a drop table, and make some time to shoot some PR matches between USPSA and multigun...

Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By splogan:
 Thats actually a really good idea.  I had not thought about having it rebarrelled and I am already set up for .308, I have not waded into the 6.5 game yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By splogan:

Buy the .308 and shoot it some. See if you like the rifle. If so then swap out the barrel for a 6.5CM.
 Thats actually a really good idea.  I had not thought about having it rebarrelled and I am already set up for .308, I have not waded into the 6.5 game yet.
I bought a 308(love 308), knowing i can make it a 6.5 someday.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Have read all 82 pages of this thread now, the sickness has consumed me, I so badly want to be part of your guys rpr club
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so I love my Howa 6.5 but I am wondering if I need a RPR is 6mm Creedmoor.
What is the accuracy you guys are getting out of this set up and with this cal? Wondering if I should snag one. Prices seem good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#8]
If anyone is looking for RPR parts Brownells is having a 10% sale.

10% off at Brownells - Coupon code NAQ  $99 or more plus free shipping

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mnwhiskeyman:
Ok, so I love my Howa 6.5 but I am wondering if I need a RPR is 6mm Creedmoor.
What is the accuracy you guys are getting out of this set up and with this cal? Wondering if I should snag one. Prices seem good.
View Quote
Where in Minnesota are you?  I have a Howa 6.5 and a RPR 6mm.

I'm getting a little better than three inches at 300 shooting Hornady Black.  Under 2.5" with Hornady match.

I'm happy with the rifle.  For under 800 bucks, you get a lot, and the ability to buy drop in barrels

Attachment Attached File
I
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I took my 6.5CM RPR to the range again today.
Here is my 6-shot group at 100yds

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By troy_v:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136860/20180812_143609-638819.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136860/20180812_142039-638820.JPG
View Quote
How do they simulate wind at that range?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By troy_v:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136860/20180812_143609-638819.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136860/20180812_142039-638820.JPG
View Quote
Is this with factory ammo ? Or with reloads ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Pilotscrappy:

Is this with factory ammo ? Or with reloads ?
View Quote
Factory. My rifle really likes the Hornandy American Gunner 140gr BTHP pills.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:48:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark95turbo] [#15]
Doing some chrono work today and adjusting zero for the can. RPR 308 shooting hornady TAP 168 factory loads.  The can is a Surefire FA762.  Without the can I consistently got 2599fps every single time. With the can I saw less than 10fps deviation between shots with an average of 2598 FPS. With the suppressor mounted my POI shifted about 2moa down and 3/4moa left.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:

How do they simulate wind at that range?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Just picked up a new Ruger Precision.  I want to put a Magpul PRS Gen 2 stock on it.  Do I need the AR10 version or does the AR15 model fit.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 175BFD:
Just picked up a new Ruger Precision.  I want to put a Magpul PRS Gen 2 stock on it.  Do I need the AR10 version or does the AR15 model fit.  Thanks
View Quote
The normal AR15 works, I think you just need a rifle buffer tube for the Gen 2's
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cone256:

The normal AR15 works, I think you just need a rifle buffer tube for the Gen 2's
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Tonight I was at a local big box store looking for a few doo-dads..  I happened upon a RPR in 308, on clearance marked down to $999 out the door.. Not to bad of a deal,,,, I thought about it a bit but passed it up... As I was walking out the door I discovered that said store is running an in store "cash" sale. This sale ends Sat and with the purchase of the rifle I would get $125 back for in store credit towards future purchases.. = Ruger 308 RPR $874 out the door..

Guess where I'm going in the morning..
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#21]
new to the RPR, I traded into one a little while ago and took it home finally a few weeks back. its been upgraded a bit but the previous owner chopped it to 14.5" and pinned an ASR mount to it. I don't have any glass for it yet so I haven't personally shot it. its chambered in 6.5 creed, and im wondering how effective/useless that caliber is in that barrel length? i've looked at replacing the barrel and I can get a good deal on a 26" white oak armament replacement, anyone have experience with their barrels in the RPR? how difficult/costly is a barrel swap?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By vincentvega6:
new to the RPR, I traded into one a little while ago and took it home finally a few weeks back. its been upgraded a bit but the previous owner chopped it to 14.5" and pinned an ASR mount to it. I don't have any glass for it yet so I haven't personally shot it. its chambered in 6.5 creed, and im wondering how effective/useless that caliber is in that barrel length? i've looked at replacing the barrel and I can get a good deal on a 26" white oak armament replacement, anyone have experience with their barrels in the RPR? how difficult/costly is a barrel swap?
View Quote
A 14" barrel isn't going to do much for you
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DitchDr] [#23]
View Quote
Barrel swap is simple.  There are a few videos on YouTube that will give you an idea of the process.  You’ll need headspace gauges, barrel vise or an action wrench like the Seekins Precision tool, barrel nut wrench and torque wrench.  Some factory barrels are on pretty tight.  Mine was extremely tight.  Make sure you have a solid way of holding the rifle and be prepared to use a cheater bar.  Don’t screw up the barrel nut because Ruger will not sell you a replacement.  I checked before starting mine and they consider it a “factory installed only” part.  Because of this I bought the LRI barrel nut wrench.  There is no way you could damage the barrel nut with that wrench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Zero reason not to just give it a try. You can even chrono it and run the dope and see if it will work for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#25]
In a bit of a bind. I dont known if i want one in 6.5 creedmoor or .308. I have 2 other 308 guns and no creedmoor. I also want to reload for whatever one i end up with. Hard decisions
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#27]
if they ever do a 300 win mag ill be on it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hoplite:
I was in your shoes and a smoking deal locally on a 308 rpr popped up.  I figure if I shoot out the factory barrel, or get sick of it I can change it over to 6.5 pretty easily.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hoplite:
Originally Posted By Biscuit42:
In a bit of a bind. I dont known if i want one in 6.5 creedmoor or .308. I have 2 other 308 guns and no creedmoor. I also want to reload for whatever one i end up with. Hard decisions
I was in your shoes and a smoking deal locally on a 308 rpr popped up.  I figure if I shoot out the factory barrel, or get sick of it I can change it over to 6.5 pretty easily.
Ive been keeping my eyes open for one with a scope and bipod already on it and no luck yet. Im only interested in the mlok version, so im a bit limited
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone done theirs up with a 16 inch barrel ? I’m thinking of getting one as a really compact pack rifle to take when I go to Alaska and Washington hunting , size really is the biggest concern so I can fit it in the smallest hard case possible for travel and still have room for other gear. Max I’d be shooting 400-500 yards with most shooting at 200 and in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By home_alone1:
Has anyone done theirs up with a 16 inch barrel ? I’m thinking of getting one as a really compact pack rifle to take when I go to Alaska and Washington hunting , size really is the biggest concern so I can fit it in the smallest hard case possible for travel and still have room for other gear. Max I’d be shooting 400-500 yards with most shooting at 200 and in.
View Quote
I love mine, but it's not even in the top ten of my rifles I would take for what you described, no matter what the barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By goalieMN:
I love mine, but it's not even in the top ten of my rifles I would take for what you described, no matter what the barrel length.
View All Quotes
It think I agree. Even with a 16” barrel the thing will be a pig. I would just take the lightweight rifle of your choice and have the barrel cut down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
It think I agree. Even with a 16” barrel the thing will be a pig. I would just take the lightweight rifle of your choice and have the barrel cut down.
View All Quotes
I lugged mine a half mile in and out last year and I don't think I want much father than that. My light weight .270 is much more comfortable to carry at longer distances. Or my model seven.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I lugged mine a half mile in and out last year and I don't think I want much father than that. My light weight .270 is much more comfortable to carry at longer distances. Or my model seven.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Model 7 is built for that stuff. I’ve got a Mohawk that was for the same thing but since I don’t hunt it’s never been anywhere
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#35]
While I have a RPR and may do the lightening one day with a CTR stock, fluted barrel, etc, this may be a better option for you.

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-rifle/
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
While I have a RPR and may do the lightening one day with a CTR stock, fluted barrel, etc, this may be a better option for you.

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-rifle/
View Quote
Hmm, havnt heard of that, I might need to do some more looking around. I still need to explore the ar10 as well as it breaks down. I just need something where I can fit it in the smallest pelican case possible to make flying in bush planes a little easier.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Hmm, havnt heard of that, I might need to do some more looking around. I still need to explore the ar10 as well as it breaks down. I just need something where I can fit it in the smallest pelican case possible to make flying in bush planes a little easier.
View Quote
You need the Fix from Q
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
I have both, the CA MPR is a great gun, 16" version, light, short and effective tool. The only change I did was remove the stock brake and actually put on a Ruger one. The stock one was effective, very effective but even with double ears, it was brutal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Over the week I coated my RPR bolt with Cerakote micro slick.  Zipper feel is gone and action feels great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Where in Minnesota are you?  I have a Howa 6.5 and a RPR 6mm.

I'm getting a little better than three inches at 300 shooting Hornady Black.  Under 2.5" with Hornady match.

I'm happy with the rifle.  For under 800 bucks, you get a lot, and the ability to buy drop in barrels

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/357367/IMG_20180808_101751870-636024.JPG I
View Quote
I’m in Blaine bro
Really thinking of getting the 6mm in the Howa too love the drop in barreled actions
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotUrLawyer] [#41]
After about 155 rounds my 6.5 is finally settling in -- or I'm learning to do my part.
Attachment Attached File

Of course the last shot was the one on the left.

ETA: American Gunner 140gr. BTHP @ 100 yds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter_556] [#42]
50 rds deep. Hornady 140 ELD Match @100 yards. Only the 2nd time Ive ever shot this rifle or anything like it so I expect these to tighten up more as I get more trigger time
Note: Red X's are from my AR earlier in the day so ignore those.

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I have no use for one, I do not need one, it is a kind of shooting I do not really do.

I have been pricing them out cause I have to have one in 308

damnit
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#44]
On the FB RPR page some members were at a gun show somewhere and Ruger was there.

They are claiming there is going to be an RPR in .338 Lapua announced on the 10th of this month.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By chuck1022:
I have no use for one, I do not need one, it is a kind of shooting I do not really do.

I have been pricing them out cause I have to have one in 308

damnit
View Quote
Careful they multiply! If it wasn’t for the baler breaking down I’d have a rimfire to go with the 6.5 and  .223.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:36:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#46]
On the FB RPR page some members were at a gun show somewhere and Ruger was there.

They are claiming there is going to be an RPR in .338 Lapua announced on the 10th of this month.
View Quote
I saw that. It had a big ass muzzle brake. I'm hoping they have a .300 WM variant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:
I saw that. It had a big ass muzzle break. I'm hoping they have a .300 WM variant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:

I saw that. It had a big ass muzzle break. I'm hoping they have a .300 WM variant.
Once they build the long action it would be pretty easy to do other calibers and as popular as 300WM is it would make sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I would be in for a .338 LM RPR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#49]

Here is said rumored pic.

Supposed to be announced on the 10th.

It's certainly a much longer action.  Also a new design on the rail system. Muzzle brake is... Excessively large in my opinion. But I already have a suppressor for 338. (SiCo Hybrid)

I'd probably be down for one to go with this.

Was dinging steel at 1100 in 7+ mph winds no problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Is it just the pic or is that mag curved? Are the AI pattern mags curved like that? I didn't think so but have only played with a Lapua once or twice ever.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 82 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top