BCM
User Panel

Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 10 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JKH62:

My FN SPR barrel is hammer forged, chrome lined and is a one hole shooter if I do my part. You are spot on about Krieger barrels and its really apples to oranges in comparing a cut rifled and lapped barrel to a production hammer forged or buttoned barrel. My Krieger barrels pass patches like they are on air bearings. My SPR tube is not ever close for surface finish but its a shooter.  Considering a Krieger barrel and install is approaching 1/2 the cost of the Ruger the Ruger is a VERY nice package.

I might pick one up in .308 for a companion to my FN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

The accuracy of Ruger's CHF barrels is still to be determined, but FN (SPR bolt gun) and Remington (5R line) used CHF barrels in their bolt guns that are very accurate. While cleaning the barrel, it was apparent that Ruger did not lap the bore to the level that you would expect from a high end custom barrel maker. Patches simply did not go down as smoothly as with the Krieger .260 barrel that I was cleaning at the same time. Not that the Ruger was bad, about what is expected from a factory barrel, maybe slightly better.

My FN SPR barrel is hammer forged, chrome lined and is a one hole shooter if I do my part. You are spot on about Krieger barrels and its really apples to oranges in comparing a cut rifled and lapped barrel to a production hammer forged or buttoned barrel. My Krieger barrels pass patches like they are on air bearings. My SPR tube is not ever close for surface finish but its a shooter.  Considering a Krieger barrel and install is approaching 1/2 the cost of the Ruger the Ruger is a VERY nice package.

I might pick one up in .308 for a companion to my FN.

I suspect that has more to do with the fact that the krieger is hand lapped rather than how it is made. I am also pretty sure that all the remington barrels are hammer forged not just the 5r. I know there have been exceptions with some of the miltary special runs and custom shop rifles but I am talking about all the production guns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
There are some pics out there online. It uses a barrel nut that goes on using an AR wrench. It is not an AR Barrel nut though. http://www.realguns.com/images/upperreceiverrpr2set.jpg  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
Any pictures with handguard off I really want to see how the barrel is mounted ? Thanks
There are some pics out there online. It uses a barrel nut that goes on using an AR wrench. It is not an AR Barrel nut though. http://www.realguns.com/images/upperreceiverrpr2set.jpg  

Thanks for the pictures .  Looking at this rifle I don't see anything special over the Remington or Savage in a chassis stock until you compare the price. This gun cost what just a chassis does for the others.  
Like someone else said hopefully this will pressure other gun makers to follow suit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:  This tells me the rail to barrel nut interface is not very solid. My Diamondhead VRS-T, BCM KMR, and SLR rails do not do this as they are completely solid on the barrel nut. This could be due to the fact that they use a proprietary barrel nut instead of a standard one, but I'm willing to bet some rails that use a standard barrel nut are more solid than this. I am currently considering other rails that use the stock barrel nut to replace the Samson as I do not wish to remove the barrel nut. The one advantage to the Samson (and I suspect the reason Ruger choose that rail) is that the barrel nut does not have to be perfectly timed as the thermal bushings allow some flexibility for the rail mount. Obviously this applies to the RPR only as it will have to be timed perfectly on an AR-15 due to the gas tube. If my barrel nut is not perfectly timed (and it may not be as it's not necessary), then I'm SOL and stuck with the samson unless I want to remove or time the barrel nut.
View Quote

I'm not sure that's the case.  It would appear you can remove the standard AR castle nut which the rail system mounts to, and install any AR compatible nut and rail system, withOUT removing or timing the actual bbl nut.  I could be wrong, but that's what the pictures and diagrams in this thread seem to indicate.

Nice writeup.  Look forward to your groups.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I'm not sure that's the case.  It would appear you can remove the standard AR castle nut which the rail system mounts to, and install any AR compatible nut and rail system, withOUT removing or timing the actual bbl nut.  I could be wrong, but that's what the pictures and diagrams in this thread seem to indicate.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:  This tells me the rail to barrel nut interface is not very solid. My Diamondhead VRS-T, BCM KMR, and SLR rails do not do this as they are completely solid on the barrel nut. This could be due to the fact that they use a proprietary barrel nut instead of a standard one, but I'm willing to bet some rails that use a standard barrel nut are more solid than this. I am currently considering other rails that use the stock barrel nut to replace the Samson as I do not wish to remove the barrel nut. The one advantage to the Samson (and I suspect the reason Ruger choose that rail) is that the barrel nut does not have to be perfectly timed as the thermal bushings allow some flexibility for the rail mount. Obviously this applies to the RPR only as it will have to be timed perfectly on an AR-15 due to the gas tube. If my barrel nut is not perfectly timed (and it may not be as it's not necessary), then I'm SOL and stuck with the samson unless I want to remove or time the barrel nut.

After looking at it more, I think you're right. I'd imagine the AR barrel nut is on at a minimal setting. Now I just need to decide what I want to replace the samson with.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#5]

After looking at it more, I think you're right. I'd imagine the AR barrel nut is on at a minimal setting. Now I just need to decide what I want to replace the samson with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I'm not sure that's the case.  It would appear you can remove the standard AR castle nut which the rail system mounts to, and install any AR compatible nut and rail system, withOUT removing or timing the actual bbl nut.  I could be wrong, but that's what the pictures and diagrams in this thread seem to indicate.

Something that won't leave a gap btwn the upper receiver & the rail...  
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]

I got mine in yesterday and spent a good amount of time messing with it to give a detailed first impressions:

Overall I really like this rifle, however this first impression review may sound critical of it because it's easier to explain bad things than good. I should also mention that I'm manufacturing engineer, and while I don't specialize in any particular process used in this rifle, I still have an eye for some things.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20150809_160555_HDR_zpsrdy6pibk.jpg

Its clear that Ruger designed this rifle with this price point in mind. Some people might call this "cutting corners", but in this case I think Ruger did an analysis of where they can cut costs with the least impact to performance.

I'll start with the barrel: I cleaned the barrel with butch's bore shine and was able to get an impression on how smooth and consistent it was. Ruger's decision to use the hammer forging process to make these barrels makes absolute sense in my opinion. They already had the forging equipment and only had to buy dies and smaller tooling, which while not cheap is a fraction of the cost of the forging equipment. I would guess Ruger can forge these barrels for 1/5 to 1/10 the cost of outsourcing the blanks from a third party manufacturer. I'll note this is purely speculation on my part, but not a total WAG based on what I know about operating costs. The accuracy of Ruger's CHF barrels is still to be determined, but FN (SPR bolt gun) and Remington (5R line) used CHF barrels in their bolt guns that are very accurate. While cleaning the barrel, it was apparent that Ruger did not lap the bore to the level that you would expect from a high end custom barrel maker. Patches simply did not go down as smoothly as with the Krieger .260 barrel that I was cleaning at the same time. Not that the Ruger was bad, about what is expected from a factory barrel, maybe slightly better. That being said the bore is very consistent which is much more important than being super smooth. The pressure required to push the patch through is consistent, better than some button rifled match barrels I'd had, which may have been a result of inconsistent rifling or bore diameter. From a cost vs expected performance perspective, I think Ruger made the right call. I wish the barrel had a slightly thicker contour, but I'm not sure if that was a design decision made by Ruger, or if that's the thickest their hammer forge was capable of doing since it requires a lot more pressure for a slight increase in thickness.

I think the design of the action is brilliant. I didn't go as far as taking off the barrel, but I do like how it is attached to the rifle. I really like how everything from the barrel to the receiver to the stock is all on the same axis. From a load path standpoint, that is brilliant and probably my favorite thing about the rifle. Once custom shops get their hands on them, I'm hoping to find out whether or not the actions need truing like Remingtons. The machining on the action is not the best. The inside bore of the receiver has some chatter marks, probably from dull tooling. This affects how smooth the bolt slides forward and backwards, but had no effect on real performance. The bolt is not super tight in the receiver like some custom actions which makes sense for this rifle. They can save money via looser tolerances that way, as well as have an action that is less affected by dirt and debris. The bolt locks up nice and solid though, which is what really matters. The end result is an action that doesn't feel super refined, but is very functional.

The bolt is something I'm undecided on. I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with a floating bolt head. It would make the receiver being perfectly true less important. Seems like it would be cheaper that way with the same or better accuracy. But I wasn't on Ruger's design team and I'm sure they had their reasons. Without knowing what they knew, I can't knock them on that. I'm not sure why the bolt needs two cocking ramps on the back of it as that's just more machine time, however I'm sure they had their reasons. There are a few things I dislike about the bolt though. The finish on mine was not very smooth. A relatively rough finish on bare metal like that is just asking for corrosion, stainless or not. I ended spending about an hour polishing the bolt by hand with a microfiber cloth and flitz metal polish. It smoothened the bolt body to be nice and slick to prevent corrosion as well as ride smoother in the receiver. I did not touch the locking lugs. I'm not really a fan of the bolt shroud as it feels cheap and flimsy on the bolt. I plan to order a backup shroud as I don't forsee this one lasting the life of the rifle.

I have nothing but praise for the buttstock and folding mechanism. Perfect and well thought out in my opinion. If they sell these in the aftermarket, I may get one for my AR-15 (minus the folding ability). I really like how there is a feature to cant the buttstock to better fit the shoulder pocket. It really shows that Ruger was paying attention.

The trigger is serviceable, but nothing special in my opinion. I'm not a particular fan of the accutrigger in Savages so I may be biased here. I've learned to treat the safety like the first stage of a two-stage trigger, although it doesn't feel quite as nice as one. The trigger pull itself has a good amount of creep before it breaks. Luckily this creep is extremely smooth. I would compare the trigger pull to similar to a Geissele 3-gun trigger where you pull through smoothly until it just breaks without hitting a second stage wall. Obviously it doesn't move nearly as much as the 3G trigger before breaking, but a similar feeling. It's certainly not my favorite trigger, but it's not bad and some people may prefer it. Once aftermarket triggers come out for it, I will take price into account before buying. One thing I was particularly impressed with was the design of the trigger weight adjustment. The screw stops on both sides of the adjustment range to tell you not to overturn it. The way they made the stops is cheap and effective. I've seen adjustable set screws where the hole where the spring rides is slightly smaller than the tapped hole for the set screw. That way the set screw will stop on the second hole instead of compressing the spring too far. This is a very effective way to do it, however it requires drilling twice. Ruger simply put a ring of locktite on the screw near the base so the user can feel when it's getting to the limit of adjust the pull on the heavy side. To adjust the screw to lighten the trigger, the user must turn the screw out. Instead of an internal stop to prevent the screw going out too far, they just designed it so the screw stops on the inside of the lower receiver. I don't know why I was so impressed with that, it extremely simple and effective. I should note that because of this DO NOT try to adjust the trigger with the lower receiver off.

The magazine cycled with the included Pmag as well as several of the M14 mags I had lying around. It did not like the Vietnam era mags quite as much as new production mags. The older USGI mags tend to be tighter fitting in my M14s and M1a making it just too tight for the Ruger. This is not a real concern to me as the USGI mags costs considerably more and are more collector items now anyways.

My least favorite part about this rifle is the Samson rail. I do not like the thermal bushing system, and the handguard to barrel nut attachment just does not seem to be very solid. Mine came off center like this one:
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah106/Crapshot21/Mobile%20Uploads/20150806_221444-1_zpsnamg9xtt.jpg
I ended up taking off the rail and thermal bushings, reinstalling them and it centered from left to right. However the rail is still not centered vertically and the barrel looks like it droops (although its really the rail going upwards). Whats more alarming is that when I apply pressure to the rail and barrel to correct it, it actually moves slightly. Then when I put it back on the bipod it goes back to it's droop. This tells me the rail to barrel nut interface is not very solid. My Diamondhead VRS-T, BCM KMR, and SLR rails do not do this as they are completely solid on the barrel nut. This could be due to the fact that they use a proprietary barrel nut instead of a standard one, but I'm willing to bet some rails that use a standard barrel nut are more solid than this. I am currently considering other rails that use the stock barrel nut to replace the Samson as I do not wish to remove the barrel nut. The one advantage to the Samson (and I suspect the reason Ruger choose that rail) is that the barrel nut does not have to be perfectly timed as the thermal bushings allow some flexibility for the rail mount. Obviously this applies to the RPR only as it will have to be timed perfectly on an AR-15 due to the gas tube. If my barrel nut is not perfectly timed (and it may not be as it's not necessary), then I'm SOL and stuck with the samson unless I want to remove or time the barrel nut.

These are my initial impressions from messing with the rifle yesterday. I am waiting on optics and muzzle brake (Vias) before I can take it shooting for a range report. Overall I am very happy with the rifle. I think Ruger made some very intelligent decisions to get the rifle down to the price point it is being offered at. I'm actually quite impressed with the amount of thought that went into it from the manufacturing side. Of course none of these points matter that much compared to performance and accuracy, which I have not yet tested.
View Quote

Thats been one of my main concerns as well. Most of my Samsons rails are not aligned. Really hoping these will be able to be swapped
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sesimmons79:  Thats been one of my main concerns as well. Most of my Samsons rails are not aligned. Really hoping these will be able to be swapped
View Quote

By all accounts, they're using a standard AR castle nut to mount the rails.  The question is not whether you can mount a different rail, it's whether your choice of rail can be slid backwards over the castle nut to fit flush w/ the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sesimmons79:

Thats been one of my main concerns as well. Most of my Samsons rails are not aligned. Really hoping these will be able to be swapped
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sesimmons79:

I got mine in yesterday and spent a good amount of time messing with it to give a detailed first impressions:

Overall I really like this rifle, however this first impression review may sound critical of it because it's easier to explain bad things than good. I should also mention that I'm manufacturing engineer, and while I don't specialize in any particular process used in this rifle, I still have an eye for some things.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20150809_160555_HDR_zpsrdy6pibk.jpg

Its clear that Ruger designed this rifle with this price point in mind. Some people might call this "cutting corners", but in this case I think Ruger did an analysis of where they can cut costs with the least impact to performance.

I'll start with the barrel: I cleaned the barrel with butch's bore shine and was able to get an impression on how smooth and consistent it was. Ruger's decision to use the hammer forging process to make these barrels makes absolute sense in my opinion. They already had the forging equipment and only had to buy dies and smaller tooling, which while not cheap is a fraction of the cost of the forging equipment. I would guess Ruger can forge these barrels for 1/5 to 1/10 the cost of outsourcing the blanks from a third party manufacturer. I'll note this is purely speculation on my part, but not a total WAG based on what I know about operating costs. The accuracy of Ruger's CHF barrels is still to be determined, but FN (SPR bolt gun) and Remington (5R line) used CHF barrels in their bolt guns that are very accurate. While cleaning the barrel, it was apparent that Ruger did not lap the bore to the level that you would expect from a high end custom barrel maker. Patches simply did not go down as smoothly as with the Krieger .260 barrel that I was cleaning at the same time. Not that the Ruger was bad, about what is expected from a factory barrel, maybe slightly better. That being said the bore is very consistent which is much more important than being super smooth. The pressure required to push the patch through is consistent, better than some button rifled match barrels I'd had, which may have been a result of inconsistent rifling or bore diameter. From a cost vs expected performance perspective, I think Ruger made the right call. I wish the barrel had a slightly thicker contour, but I'm not sure if that was a design decision made by Ruger, or if that's the thickest their hammer forge was capable of doing since it requires a lot more pressure for a slight increase in thickness.

I think the design of the action is brilliant. I didn't go as far as taking off the barrel, but I do like how it is attached to the rifle. I really like how everything from the barrel to the receiver to the stock is all on the same axis. From a load path standpoint, that is brilliant and probably my favorite thing about the rifle. Once custom shops get their hands on them, I'm hoping to find out whether or not the actions need truing like Remingtons. The machining on the action is not the best. The inside bore of the receiver has some chatter marks, probably from dull tooling. This affects how smooth the bolt slides forward and backwards, but had no effect on real performance. The bolt is not super tight in the receiver like some custom actions which makes sense for this rifle. They can save money via looser tolerances that way, as well as have an action that is less affected by dirt and debris. The bolt locks up nice and solid though, which is what really matters. The end result is an action that doesn't feel super refined, but is very functional.

The bolt is something I'm undecided on. I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with a floating bolt head. It would make the receiver being perfectly true less important. Seems like it would be cheaper that way with the same or better accuracy. But I wasn't on Ruger's design team and I'm sure they had their reasons. Without knowing what they knew, I can't knock them on that. I'm not sure why the bolt needs two cocking ramps on the back of it as that's just more machine time, however I'm sure they had their reasons. There are a few things I dislike about the bolt though. The finish on mine was not very smooth. A relatively rough finish on bare metal like that is just asking for corrosion, stainless or not. I ended spending about an hour polishing the bolt by hand with a microfiber cloth and flitz metal polish. It smoothened the bolt body to be nice and slick to prevent corrosion as well as ride smoother in the receiver. I did not touch the locking lugs. I'm not really a fan of the bolt shroud as it feels cheap and flimsy on the bolt. I plan to order a backup shroud as I don't forsee this one lasting the life of the rifle.

I have nothing but praise for the buttstock and folding mechanism. Perfect and well thought out in my opinion. If they sell these in the aftermarket, I may get one for my AR-15 (minus the folding ability). I really like how there is a feature to cant the buttstock to better fit the shoulder pocket. It really shows that Ruger was paying attention.

The trigger is serviceable, but nothing special in my opinion. I'm not a particular fan of the accutrigger in Savages so I may be biased here. I've learned to treat the safety like the first stage of a two-stage trigger, although it doesn't feel quite as nice as one. The trigger pull itself has a good amount of creep before it breaks. Luckily this creep is extremely smooth. I would compare the trigger pull to similar to a Geissele 3-gun trigger where you pull through smoothly until it just breaks without hitting a second stage wall. Obviously it doesn't move nearly as much as the 3G trigger before breaking, but a similar feeling. It's certainly not my favorite trigger, but it's not bad and some people may prefer it. Once aftermarket triggers come out for it, I will take price into account before buying. One thing I was particularly impressed with was the design of the trigger weight adjustment. The screw stops on both sides of the adjustment range to tell you not to overturn it. The way they made the stops is cheap and effective. I've seen adjustable set screws where the hole where the spring rides is slightly smaller than the tapped hole for the set screw. That way the set screw will stop on the second hole instead of compressing the spring too far. This is a very effective way to do it, however it requires drilling twice. Ruger simply put a ring of locktite on the screw near the base so the user can feel when it's getting to the limit of adjust the pull on the heavy side. To adjust the screw to lighten the trigger, the user must turn the screw out. Instead of an internal stop to prevent the screw going out too far, they just designed it so the screw stops on the inside of the lower receiver. I don't know why I was so impressed with that, it extremely simple and effective. I should note that because of this DO NOT try to adjust the trigger with the lower receiver off.

The magazine cycled with the included Pmag as well as several of the M14 mags I had lying around. It did not like the Vietnam era mags quite as much as new production mags. The older USGI mags tend to be tighter fitting in my M14s and M1a making it just too tight for the Ruger. This is not a real concern to me as the USGI mags costs considerably more and are more collector items now anyways.

My least favorite part about this rifle is the Samson rail. I do not like the thermal bushing system, and the handguard to barrel nut attachment just does not seem to be very solid. Mine came off center like this one:
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah106/Crapshot21/Mobile%20Uploads/20150806_221444-1_zpsnamg9xtt.jpg
I ended up taking off the rail and thermal bushings, reinstalling them and it centered from left to right. However the rail is still not centered vertically and the barrel looks like it droops (although its really the rail going upwards). Whats more alarming is that when I apply pressure to the rail and barrel to correct it, it actually moves slightly. Then when I put it back on the bipod it goes back to it's droop. This tells me the rail to barrel nut interface is not very solid. My Diamondhead VRS-T, BCM KMR, and SLR rails do not do this as they are completely solid on the barrel nut. This could be due to the fact that they use a proprietary barrel nut instead of a standard one, but I'm willing to bet some rails that use a standard barrel nut are more solid than this. I am currently considering other rails that use the stock barrel nut to replace the Samson as I do not wish to remove the barrel nut. The one advantage to the Samson (and I suspect the reason Ruger choose that rail) is that the barrel nut does not have to be perfectly timed as the thermal bushings allow some flexibility for the rail mount. Obviously this applies to the RPR only as it will have to be timed perfectly on an AR-15 due to the gas tube. If my barrel nut is not perfectly timed (and it may not be as it's not necessary), then I'm SOL and stuck with the samson unless I want to remove or time the barrel nut.

These are my initial impressions from messing with the rifle yesterday. I am waiting on optics and muzzle brake (Vias) before I can take it shooting for a range report. Overall I am very happy with the rifle. I think Ruger made some very intelligent decisions to get the rifle down to the price point it is being offered at. I'm actually quite impressed with the amount of thought that went into it from the manufacturing side. Of course none of these points matter that much compared to performance and accuracy, which I have not yet tested.

Holy wall of text, I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw it without the pictures. I need to condense my posts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]

By all accounts, they're using a standard AR castle nut to mount the rails.  The question is not whether you can mount a different rail, it's whether your choice of rail can be slid backwards over the castle nut to fit flush w/ the receiver.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sesimmons79:  Thats been one of my main concerns as well. Most of my Samsons rails are not aligned. Really hoping these will be able to be swapped

You're right, you can slide the Samson rail as far back as you want on the thermal bushings. That is not the case for any other rail I know of, even ones with proprietary barrel nuts. So that could be the big challenge then. Someone local to me has a Centurion C4 rail, I'll see what it looks like installed, but I don't have my hopes up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought about putting on a new rail.  I'm going to live with what I have.   I put some Noveske panels on mine.  Looks nice.  Maybe after you guys figure out what can be exchanged, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:  You're right, you can slide the Samson rail as far back as you want on the thermal bushings. That is not the case for any other rail I know of, even ones with proprietary barrel nuts. So that could be the big challenge then. Someone local to me has a Centurion C4 rail, I'll see what it looks like installed, but I don't have my hopes up.
View Quote

Which is why Ruger went w/ the Samson rail, even if it doesn't align perfectly - it @ least fits flush to the receiver.  Imagine the bitching if they'd brought out the same gun, but there was a gap in the rail & you could see the actual bbl nut.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]

You're right, you can slide the Samson rail as far back as you want on the thermal bushings. That is not the case for any other rail I know of, even ones with proprietary barrel nuts. So that could be the big challenge then. Someone local to me has a Centurion C4 rail, I'll see what it looks like installed, but I don't have my hopes up.
View All Quotes

Look forward to what you or others find
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delirious1] [#13]
edit.  found my answer.   Ruger precison will use the 3901 and 3902 AICS magazines.  Verified by AICS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Who is selling at the best price right now? Cheapest I have found was $950.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mattf26:
View Quote

That's pretty good. If that's in stock, I would jump on it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SittingElf] [#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mattf26:

It's not in stock.  That $950 Price is probably from Champion Firearms. It's the lowest price yet advertised.

I have asked to be notified when they have stock. I will jump immediately on a 6.5 when they have one at that price!  That would put me under $1000 with shipping and FFL transfer costs.  Add a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 SCR MOA, Atlas Bipod and CTK Monopod, and I'm all over this rifle for under $2600 complete!  Awesome for a long-range weapon!

Already looking for best online prices for Hornady 140gr AMAX 6.5 ammo.  Will stock up in anticipation!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

You're right, the size of the castle nut is an issue.  I tried to fit some AR rails today, neither a Noveske or Geissele would slide over the nut and, of course, their mounting nuts won't fit over the .308 barrel. My LaRue Stealth might fit, but that design requires an AR upper for indexing the alignment clips. I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have measured the RPR castle nut to an AR nut.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Defender3:

You're right, the size of the castle nut is an issue.  I tried to fit some AR rails today, neither a Noveske or Geissele would slide over the nut and, of course, their mounting nuts won't fit over the .308 barrel. My LaRue Stealth might fit, but that design requires an AR upper for indexing the alignment clips. I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have measured the RPR castle nut to an AR nut.
View All Quotes

Can you describe what you tried in detail? Did you remove the standard barrel nut that the samson was attached to?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Can you describe what you tried in detail? Did you remove the standard barrel nut that the samson was attached to?
View All Quotes

+1 I guess the first question to be answered is if the barrel but (castle nut is on receiver extension) is a standard AR15 or DPMS LR308 etc... Pattern.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#20]
Just got my 6.5 Creedmoor RPR at my FLGS.  $949.99 out the door.  

Will be rigging it out with an optic, rings and bipod in the next few weeks.

Pretty nice LRPR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Talyn:

Pretty nice LRPR.
View Quote

Damn! Nice price!
BTW what exactly is "wrong" with the Sampson?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By liezone:
+1 I guess the first question to be answered is if the barrel but (castle nut is on receiver extension) is a standard AR15 or DPMS LR308 etc... Pattern.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By liezone:

Sure. I did not remove the barrel nut (17), but I did remove the "handguard nut" (88). For those that may not know, the RPR has a AR styled barrel nut that secures the barrel to the receiver and then (forward of the barrel nut) there is an additional handguard nut that times and secures the rail. The handguard nut is an AR15 styled akin to an AR barrel nut and my armorer's tool fit the pattern with no issues.

I started by removing the Samson rail by loosening the small underside allen screw and then the two side retaining screws.  A slight wiggle broke the bond with the thermal bushing (89), I slid the rail off and then removed the two-piece thermal bushing. Inside of the handguard nut is a small copper "handguard nut ring" (87) that appears to be about a coil and a half to the barrel outside diameter. I started with a spare Noveske 13" rail which is lightweight and small in overall diameter; the rail would not fit over the handguard nut.  I then used a spare Geissele 13" rail and while the inside diameter of the Geissele is larger than the Noveske, it would not clear the handguard nut.  I then sized the Noveske and Geissele barrel nuts and neither was large enough to accommodate the .308 barrel.  I then fiddled with the LaRue Stealth rail and while it apprears it would fit, the LaRue uses a clip retainer that is specifically fitted for an AR15 upper receiver. I didn't have much time so I just eyeballed the LaRue and replaced the Sampson rail.  

The inside of the Samson rail is grooved to fit the corresponding pattern on the thermal bushing. The Sampson, by design, has a larger inside diameter (maybe for suppressor clearance?) to the point it clears the handguard nut and requires the additional diameter of the thermal bushing. If I have time tonight, I'll take it apart again and take some pictures. Sorry I couldn't do more, I was pressed for time last evening so I didn't measure the handguard nut against the size of an AR15 barrel nut, but given the diameter of the .308 barrel, I would be pressed to think they are the same size.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Sure. I did not remove the barrel nut (17), but I did remove the "handguard nut" (88). For those that may not know, the RPR has a AR styled barrel nut that secures the barrel to the receiver and then (forward of the barrel nut) there is an additional handguard nut that times and secures the rail. The handguard nut is an AR15 styled akin to an AR barrel nut and my armorer's tool fit the pattern with no issues.

I started by removing the Samson rail by loosening the small underside allen screw and then the two side retaining screws.  A slight wiggle broke the bond with the thermal bushing (89), I slid the rail off and then removed the two-piece thermal bushing. Inside of the handguard nut is a small copper "handguard nut ring" (87) that appears to be about a coil and a half to the barrel outside diameter. I started with a spare Noveske 13" rail which is lightweight and small in overall diameter; the rail would not fit over the handguard nut.  I then used a spare Geissele 13" rail and while the inside diameter of the Geissele is larger than the Noveske, it would not clear the handguard nut.  I then sized the Noveske and Geissele barrel nuts and neither was large enough to accommodate the .308 barrel.  I then fiddled with the LaRue Stealth rail and while it apprears it would fit, the LaRue uses a clip retainer that is specifically fitted for an AR15 upper receiver. I didn't have much time so I just eyeballed the LaRue and replaced the Sampson rail.  

The inside of the Samson rail is grooved to fit the corresponding pattern on the thermal bushing. The Sampson, by design, has a larger inside diameter (maybe for suppressor clearance?) to the point it clears the handguard nut and requires the additional diameter of the thermal bushing. If I have time tonight, I'll take it apart again and take some pictures. Sorry I couldn't do more, I was pressed for time last evening so I didn't measure the handguard nut against the size of an AR15 barrel nut, but given the diameter of the .308 barrel, I would be pressed to think they are the same size.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/RPR_zpssprger7c.jpg
View Quote

Excellent write up, thanks for the explanation. I have a couple questions:

1. How tight was the handguard nut on? I don't need specific values, just if it was really tight or not. I would guess not. How did you secure the rifle to get the handguard nut off? Barrel vise?
2. Can you explain which part of the Geissele and NSR barrel nuts were too small for the barrel? I did not think the barrel contour was particularly thick, but I could be wrong.

The good news is last night I took the Samson off again and reinstalled it while putting a finger between the rail and the barrel. I corrected the "droop" issue, although pinched the shit out of my finger in the process. I would still consider another rail but it's not looking like anything will work at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Talyn:

Pretty nice LRPR.
View Quote

What was the store?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#25]

1. How tight was the handguard nut on? I don't need specific values, just if it was really tight or not. I would guess not. How did you secure the rifle to get the handguard nut off? Barrel vise?
2. Can you explain which part of the Geissele and NSR barrel nuts were too small for the barrel? I did not think the barrel contour was particularly thick, but I could be wrong.

The good news is last night I took the Samson off again and reinstalled it while putting a finger between the rail and the barrel. I corrected the "droop" issue, although pinched the shit out of my finger in the process. I would still consider another rail but it's not looking like anything will work at the moment.
View All Quotes

1.  The handguard nut was not overly tight, I'd say 15-20lbs maybe.  The issue is that it needs to be tightened enough to time the rail so it matches the upper receiver.  I used a receiver block I have to secure the rifle while I removed/installed the handguard nut.

2.  The Noveske and Geissele barrel nuts are totally different in design than an AR styled barrel nut. They are circular (no protruding prongs) and about three inches in length which is used to secure and hold the rail to their particular system.

As a thought, did you reinstall the thermal bushing correctly?  If you have the bushing installed so the main length is forward, I could see it affecting the stability of the rail since the contact area for the clamping would then be reduced.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#26]

1.  The handguard nut was not overly tight, I'd say 15-20lbs maybe.  The issue is that it needs to be tightened enough to time the rail so it matches the upper receiver.  I used a receiver block I have to secure the rifle while I removed/installed the handguard nut.

2.  The Noveske and Geissele barrel nuts are totally different in design than an AR styled barrel nut. They are circular (no protruding prongs) and about three inches in length which is used to secure and hold the rail to their particular system.

As a thought, did you reinstall the thermal bushing correctly?  If you have the bushing installed so the main length is forward, I could see it affecting the stability of the rail since the contact area for the clamping would then be reduced.
View All Quotes

Yes, I made sure the bushings were correct. Reading online, apparently the rail canting upwards during installation is a common issue with the Samson rails. Their own installation video mentions it.

I'm familiar with the propriety barrel nut system as I have installed a BCM KMR, SLR, and several others. My thoughts were that you could remove the handguard nut for the Samson, and replace it with the NSR nut and essentially use it as the new handguard nut for the NSR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:20:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#27]

Yes, I made sure the bushings were correct. Reading online, apparently the rail canting upwards during installation is a common issue with the Samson rails. Their own installation video mentions it.

I'm familiar with the propriety barrel nut system as I have installed a BCM KMR, SLR, and several others. My thoughts were that you could remove the handguard nut for the Samson, and replace it with the NSR nut and essentially use it as the new handguard nut for the NSR.
View All Quotes

The NSR and Geissele nuts both stopped a few inches short due to the diameter of the .308 barrel.  I'll try and take some pics tonight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#28]

The NSR and Geissele nuts both stopped a few inches short due to the diameter of the .308 barrel.  I'll tray and take some pics tonight.
View All Quotes

The NSR and Geissele nuts both stopped a few inches short due to the diameter of the .308 barrel.  I'll tray and take some pics tonight.

I kinda figured that's what was happening. Interesting since I didn't think the barrel was any thicker at it's largest point than an HBAR AR-15 barrel. The next time I take it apart, I'll get some measurements. It still doesn't solve the fact that there will be a gap between the receiver and rail for any handguard that doesn't use Samson's bushing system.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Daniel Defense Omega rail should work, as it mounts up to a standard AR bbl nut.  But there will probably be a gap between the receiver & the rail system.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Some pictures (unscientific and crappy pic skilz).

Thermal bushing on the handguard nut:

L - R: Noveske NSR, LaRue Stealth, Geissele and RPR Sampson:

Inside diameter of the RPR Sampson (actually a bit wider but I measured the outside of the splines, not the inside):

Inside diameter of the Geissele:

Inside diameter of the LaRue Stealth:

Inside diameter of the Noveske:

Handguard nut with thermal bushing:

Handguard nut outside diameter:

.308 barrel outside diameter:

Noveske barrel nut (top), RPR handguard nut (left) and AR 15 barrel nut (right).  The RPR handguard nut and AR 15 barrel nut are the same and thus, interchangeable:

The Noveske barrel nut doesn't quite make it far enough.  Sorry, no Geissele nut available, I didn't feel like taking apart an upper:  

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: liezone] [#31]
I should have a .308 in my hands tomorrow, but I can see how most handguard systems will not fit flush because the handguard/barrel nut can't be flush due to the ruger barrel nut. I wonder if this can be remedied by removing material off of the rear of the handguard nut. Maybe some manufacturers can make a specialized barrel nut for this like the V7. I should be able to check that out tomorrow.

ETA: I was typing while the above post was being made.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#32]
I got my optic in, a Bushnell ERS. I haven't seen may pictures with this optic so I'll post mine. I figure this will be a popular optic for it.

I took it to the range late this afternoon and put 23 rounds down. Weather was terrible and definitely affected shooting. My kestrel read 90 degrees at 100% humidity. It actually started raining soon after I got there. It was also quite late so I also shot this in low light.

I was disappointed in that it did not work with the two M14 magazines I brought. They cycled fine at home, however they fit quite loose in the magwell and actually shook free under recoil. Sucks because I have a ton of them. I have a few no-name mags that are tighter and may try those before throwing in the towel on M14 mags. The supplied PMAG worked perfectly.

It might have been the conditions, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the glass on the ERS. I can usually make out the smallest lines easily on me 1.5" orange target spots, but it took some effort with the ERS. I didn't do a box test, but from zeroing, it was spot on. I'll give the glass another chance on a better day. I've been shooting a lot using a March F lately so my eyes are probably spoiled.

Recoil was light and extremely manageable. I think the straight line design really helped keep the reticle on target. I was shooting on 21X and recoil did not move the target outside the FOV. I have a Vias muzzle brake being built for me that should get here in a few weeks. Basically the last piece of the puzzle.

I don't want to make conclusion on the accuracy of the rifle just yet due to the relatively few number of shots fired and shooting conditions. I definitely felt my shooting today was worse than normal for those reasons. However I will say: No 5-shot groups above .75 MOA. And I'll post a picture of one cherry picked group:

Only 3 shots because I was a pussy and stopped after those 3. Calipers zeroed at .264"
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
That Noveske nut could be modified to work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#34]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1259_zpsaveibltq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1265-1_zpsxffkyab7.jpg

Inside diameter of the RPR Sampson (actually a bit wider but I measured the outside of the splines, not the inside):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1266_zpstlgjjsxz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1267_zpsarn61u19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1268_zps4sylr7ms.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1269_zpsoyzemnso.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1270_zpsakowjrau.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1272_zpsmunqdn8w.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1274_zpskabwxy6e.jpg

Noveske barrel nut (top), RPR handguard nut (left) and AR 15 barrel nut (right).  The RPR handguard nut and AR 15 barrel nut are the same and thus, interchangeable:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1276_zpsqbg01elt.jpg

The Noveske barrel nut doesn't quite make it far enough.  Sorry, no Geissele nut available, I didn't feel like taking apart an upper:  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1277_zpsvdpipdxa.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the pictures. Interesting how the NSR nut won't fit down the barrel. For something to work, the ID would have to be larger than the OD of Ruger barrel nut. Then you would have to grind down on the new handguard's barrel nut the thickness of the RPR barrel nut. It could work, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through that much effort. I've got my rifle shooting well now so I'm kind of hesitant to mess with it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]
How about a troy alpha rail or vtac for replacement? probably will be gap? or would the actual barrel nut and collar get in the way?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks for the pictures. Interesting how the NSR nut won't fit down the barrel. For something to work, the ID would have to be larger than the OD of Ruger barrel nut. Then you would have to grind down on the new handguard's barrel nut the thickness of the RPR barrel nut. It could work, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through that much effort. I've got my rifle shooting well now so I'm kind of hesitant to mess with it.
View All Quotes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1259_zpsaveibltq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1265-1_zpsxffkyab7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1266_zpstlgjjsxz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1267_zpsarn61u19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1268_zps4sylr7ms.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1269_zpsoyzemnso.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1270_zpsakowjrau.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1272_zpsmunqdn8w.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1274_zpskabwxy6e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1276_zpsqbg01elt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/Ruger%20Precision%20Rifle/DSC_1277_zpsvdpipdxa.jpg

Would a BAR barrel nut work? This has a few handguard options that have a wide ID compared to others.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#37]
An Aero Precision handguard has a 1.8" ID. Also the top/rear of an AP handguard sits farther back and not flush. Only from the middle down does it sit flush. You would only need to take a few mm off the BAR nut so it could sit perfect or maybe not. It might work just the way it is.

Its just a thought.

Aero Precision
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sxdcjn5FtxU/U-UX99u1bqI/AAAAAAAAAnw/lPxzDHLeuFk/s1600/IMG_7269.jpg

Noveske NSR
http://www.westford86.com/photo/firearms/9mm_AR/IMG_0487_Web.jpg
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Defender3:  Some pictures (unscientific and crappy pic skilz).
View Quote

Those pics perfectly illustrate the issue.  Thanks for taking your rifle apart for the benefit of the rest of us.

Another possibility might be to skip the AR bbl nut, and to reverse the actual Ruger bbl nut, as it appears to have the same OD and profile of the AR bbl nut/Ruger rail nut.  That would only work for rails that directly mount to the AR bbl nut, and would force you to time the Ruger bbl nut so that the rail would line up properly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
View Quote

Mmhmm. When I get a RPR it will wear a 15" nsr for sure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delirious1] [#40]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

I'd like that option as well and would like to know what you do.   For now,  I just covered it with NSR panels to make it look Noveske cool
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Someone help me out with this:

All AR15 barrel nuts have the same ID.  So if the one above, regardless of which rail manufacturer it is for, does not even make it all the way up the barrel, then no AR15 hand guard nut would fit, correct?

Ruger says it will work with any AR style hand guard.  From the above that doesn't appear so.  Maybe the meant .308 pattern?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I know this is ARF....but what is the burning desire to go swapping the handguard?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

How is that?  Bore the thing out and re-thread to whatever the outside measurements/pitch are of the Ruger nut?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By avboiler11:
I know this is ARF....but what is the burning desire to go swapping the handguard?
View Quote

You can't be having the same handguard everyone else does.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

How is that?  Bore the thing out and re-thread to whatever the outside measurements/pitch are of the Ruger nut?
View All Quotes

I think the outside of that handguard nut is the same thread as an AR upper, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#46]

All AR15 barrel nuts have the same ID.  So if the one above, regardless of which rail manufacturer it is for, does not even make it all the way up the barrel, then no AR15 hand guard nut would fit, correct?

Ruger says it will work with any AR style hand guard.  From the above that doesn't appear so.  Maybe the meant .308 pattern?
View Quote

Just the threaded portions of all AR15 barrel nuts have the same ID and thread pitch. The Noveske barrel nut, for example, has elements that make the portion of the barrel nut just past the threads narrower than the threaded portion, so the entire thing will not fit over the Ruger barrel.

All AR15 barrel nuts that are straight-walled past the threads should work -- like MI uses, for example.

However, with all AR15 handguards that do not use a thermal bushing system like the Samson, there will be a gap between the receiver and the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#47]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Just the threaded portions of all AR15 barrel nuts have the same ID and thread pitch. The Noveske barrel nut, for example, has elements that make the portion of the barrel nut just past the threads narrower than the threaded portion, so the entire thing will not fit over the Ruger barrel.

All AR15 barrel nuts that are straight-walled past the threads should work -- like MI uses, for example.

However, with all AR15 handguards that do not use a thermal bushing system like the Samson, there will be a gap between the receiver and the handguard.
View All Quotes

Spot on correct here.

You can't be having the same handguard everyone else does.

Pretty much this. Although after tinkering with the Samson some, it's growing on me. Would be cool to get a mega wedge-lock on there though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Gotcha.  Wasn't aware of that.  Never really had a reason to check one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I've been wondering the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By AR15DELTAHBAR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15DELTAHBAR:

Lennyo3034   pointed out the reason to get rid of the stock rail on page 9.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 10 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top