Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2017 11:53:13 AM EDT
Doing a little competition with my coach and a few other match shooters today. We're going to take various rifles from hunting spec .30-06's to our match race guns and shoot offhand to 1000yrds. No slings, gloves, jackets, etc... just a guy and a rifle. We'll be starting at 600yrds and working out to 1000yrds.

I'd publish the range details but it's a private range and a private match.

So, any bets? I already know for sure it's doable by all of us because we've all done it before with at least 1 witness but never on camera. This time we want to get video & have more than 1 witness.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Doing a little competition with my coach and a few other match shooters today. We're going to take various rifles from hunting spec .30-06's to our match race guns and shoot offhand to 1000yrds. No slings, gloves, jackets, etc... just a guy and a rifle. We'll be starting at 600yrds and working out to 1000yrds.

I'd publish the range details but it's a private range and a private match.

So, any bets? I already know for sure it's doable by all of us because we've all done it before with at least 1 witness but never on camera. This time we want to get video & have more than 1 witness.
View Quote

Sounds like some secret squirrel stuff, right?

Can't say where, can't provide any range details....

I'm in for the entertainment factor!

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't see 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
I can't see 1000 yards.
View Quote
Maybe a sheet of plywood painted fluorescent orange.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw Quigley do it should be no problem.

Should be a good challenge.  Hope you have a good backdrop to see impacts .
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#5]
Time, she is a hateful mistress. We managed to get down to the range around noon and it was 100 degrees. Uggh. That's what I get I guess. My tolerance for being there in that heat was pretty low and we only managed to get a few shots off at the gongs from offhand before guns heating up and us heating up made the decision for us to pack it up for the day. My .223 loads did not like the heat at all (they're already a bit warm in sane weather) and I was piercing primers left and right so I put that away pretty quickly. My 7BR did a lot better on that front but between fairly rapid fire and 100deg heat the barrel warmed up bad and quick. Coach's rifles were heating up something fierce too. He didn't even take a shot with his 6xc from offhand, back pain and a heavier than normal rifle for offhand use weren't playing for him. He did use his 6.5BR however it's configured for 500m max so he ran out of elevation and wind and had to hold off on a dot-n-crosshair reticle while I used the scaled reticle in one of our other scopes to dial his hold-off in. The BR rifles are purpose built for metallic silhouette competition from 200-500m.

His 6.5BR was hitting transonic right about at 900yrds. My 7BR was hitting transonic right about at 800yrds. So we were even on that score. I was able to dial enough elevation and wind. Coach wasn't and had to hold off. No we didn't hit on our first shot but it was 5 or less for each hit. Not bad with the wind pushing on us at the firing point. At the targets the wind was pushing the bullets like 7 feet to the left.

NOTE: thar be cussin' in this here video yah scurvy dogs. Not a lot but you have been warned.

Youtube Video Link
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
never change arfcom. never change.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
So, will the OP ever real his super secret High Speed Low Drag training range where they wimped out because it was hot?

I'm fascinated.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Why should I reveal the location of a PRIVATE RANGE? You didn't spend much time thinking through your post I guess.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It's Avenal Gun club in CA.

Your shooting location can be seen at the top of this picture.

I have never been there, but it looks nice!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:32:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#11]
As soon as I realized who OP is any desire to criticize this thread died on the spot.

If you don't know who OP is and what he's done for the shooting community trust me and just STFU.

OP is cool.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
I can't see 1000 yards.
View Quote
You can see Highpower targets easily. They're something like 5 feet wide.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#13]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
View Quote
Paper is 6 feet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By airsix:
As soon as I realized who OP is any desire to criticize this thread died on the spot.

If you don't know who OP is and what he's done for the shooting community trust me and just STFU.

OP is cool.  
View Quote
Maybe you could fill us in.  That way we don't have to take the word of some random internet dude that some other random internet dude "is cool".
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By erud:

Maybe you could fill us in.  That way we don't have to take the word of some random internet dude that some other random internet dude "is cool".
View Quote
erud: Or you could just be cool on principle but you do you bro. I suggest always opening Google before opening other things. Perhaps that strategy will be enlightening. I highly recommend it.

TZLVredmist: It's no surprise you've not been there. It's a private range, we're picky about who goes. I have a key so I'm fine. Have a great day!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
View Quote
Our 900 yard large target is 36". Our 800 yard large target is 30". Large targets are usually 1MRAD wide. The small targets are 1MOA wide. The bulk of our long range targets under 800yrds are 2MOA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#17]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

erud: Or you could just be cool on principle but you do you bro. I suggest always opening Google before opening other things. Perhaps that strategy will be enlightening. I highly recommend it.

TZLVredmist: It's no surprise you've not been there. It's a private range, we're picky about who goes. I have a key so I'm fine. Have a great day!
View Quote
Ok, I googled you.  I see you have a web site.  Still don't know who you are.  Lost interest, will take airsix's word for it that you are cool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly, I don't know about cool. I think I'm a huge nerd which to me contraindicates cool by definition but that whole "nerds are now cool" thing from a couple years ago has me wondering if I'm actually still cool by sheer nerd-osity or if I've unwittingly been tossed back to just being a regular nerd whose social status is; once again, irrevocably low. If by "cool" something other than my social acceptability, magnetism and charisma; my personal gravitas if you will, is meant then I can at least say that I do as much for the community as possible in my copious spare time. If people think that's an unqualified good then I'm not the sort that's wont to parry their opinion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#19]
NRA High power targets us a black scoring diameter of 6 moa. So a black bull at 300 yds is 18" in dia, at 1000 yds the black is 60" in dia. As for attempting 1K offhand, nope, that in my book is unsafe period. I guess if its private land / range its the land owners discretion. My private gun club has a 600 yd range and we allow offhand out to 300 yds. And we have a massive berm designed by the Army Corps of Engineers that was intended for all types of NRA / CMP competitions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Then you don't know how. If you did then you'd probably reconsider. If you're ever fixin'a be in Northern California I'll take you and teach you and you'll see that it's exactly as dangerous and no more so than shooting 100yrds offhand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top