Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2016 1:01:05 PM EDT
Just got back from Steel Safari, which is probably the funnest precision rifle match in the States.

3 days of hiking and shooting along canyon edges into the target areas from improvised positions on a timer.

I was on staff for this helping with my good friends from Competition Dynamics.  The property is owned by JP Enterprises, and I got to spend a lot of time with JP listening to his perspective on things, hearing his story, while catching up with Zak Smith and Jimmy over coal fire-cooked meals every night.  Additionally, some of the best shooters in the world were there, and it's always great to see how they problem-solve in such an efficient manner on each stage.  There are three areas, one shot each day:  North, West, and South.  Each has 8 different stages, which are either 2 positions with 3 targets, or 1 position with 6 targets.

Competition Dynamics Steel Safari

Contingency X covered some phenomenal photography for this event

Here's a great video from 2014 that gives just one example of how a stage is set up.  This was on the West Course.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Been too long since I shot that match. Epic terrain. Very fun.

Wow that is seriously cool photography
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:59:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Iggyort] [#2]
Looks like a great match.

My LR shooting partner  just moved Las Cruses so I may need to shoot this match in the future.

PS. Very beautiful  pictures

PSS. How are you ranging  targets ??
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Targets are ranged with LRF.

Everyone brought their own LRFs, many of which were pretty high-end units.

Many winning competitors have just used their LRF optics for target detection, and range at the same time.

If the glass is good enough in the LRF / binos, you can do both, and there were many Steiner, Terrapin, Bushnell, Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss LRF/ bino units there.

I saw several JAE stocks in the match as well, and these seem to have some popularity in PRS.

At least 3 of the top 5 shooters were using JAE stocks.  A lot of the shooters who come to Steel Safari are Nationally-ranked PRS competitors.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply

What is the story with lodging?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
This would be an almost perfect "out west" trip.  Lot's of outdoor activity and a lot of shooting.  Better than just hiking and just hunting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Iggyort:
Thanks for the reply

What is the story with lodging?
View Quote

Most competitors stayed in town just a few minutes away (Logan).

There is a newly constructed bunkhouse on the property for staff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top