Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:59:24 AM EDT
I'm looking at the CZ455 Tacticool, but then found  that Ruger made a Target Rifle in the American Rifle series.
Has an extended Bolt handle, great trigger, Heavy 18" barrel threaded for a suppressor and a Picatinney rail already installed.
And the best part... uses Ruger Rotary magazines....

Ruger Target

Is the CZ the better choice?  I know the CZ is well established and the Ruger is newer.. But I really like the Ruger magazine design, reliability, cost, availability... I already have them, vs. the CZ mag set up and  the smaller bolt handle, Which I know I will replace...

and down the road, I can get a Tacticool stock for the Ruger and have pretty much exactly what I want.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:06:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fivealyv] [#1]
When it came time to choose a new 22lr bolt rifle, I picked the CZ455 (though Varmint not Tacticool).

A little work you can replace the trigger spring or get a yodave (sp?) kit.  I did the spring and it is great.  I also got a DIP rail adapter so I don't have to deal with that dovetail rail thing.

It just feels like a "real rifle".  Everyone who has shot it with me has had nothing but nice stuff to say about it, some have gone out and bought their own.

While I'm sure either will serve you fine, I have never regretted my purchase.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a big fan of CZs, but it sounds like you like the Ruger better OP.  I doubt one will shoot that much better than the other.  The CZ might have a better barrel out of the box, but it's easy to change the barrel on most Ruger .22s.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the CZ452 Varmint with a Timney trigger is a better choice.  It was also available before Ruger got into the game.  Now the CZ comes with a better trigger and the better barrel profiles are easier to obtain.  I have handled the Ruger.  The action was not as smooth as the CZ.  

I wouldn't pass up a walnut/blued 77/22 if I could find one.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I chose the CZ, it is a great rifle and you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Essayons:
I'm a big fan of CZs, but it sounds like you like the Ruger better OP.  I doubt one will shoot that much better than the other.  The CZ might have a better barrel out of the box, but it's easy to change the barrel on most Ruger .22s.
View Quote
How difficult is the pin on an RAR?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hellbent_4] [#6]
I hear the CZ are great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By VIP3R:
This thread is relevant to my interests.
View Quote
I just picked up my 455 Tacticool this week, it is a very nice rifle. I already had a Yodave trigger spring and shims for it and now I'm just waiting on the rail so I can a scope on it. I'm going to pull barreled action out to sand the stock just a bit, I can slide a dollar around the barrel but if I load a bipod the way it is now the barrel will make co tact with the stock. Other than that I love it, it has better fit and finish than the Savage mk II fv-sr I looked checked out at my lgs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm starting to lean back towards the CZ.. Spent some time over at the Rimfire Central Forums and  I'm not seeing anything stellar written about the accuracy.. I'm making too big a deal out of the Ruger 10 rd magazine me thinks...

And We have CZ452 trainers that we use in the 4H shooting program I instruct and I have shot them quite a bit and they are extremely accurate...

There is a Tacticool at my local Scheels right now, I think I may make a trip over there and take another look....
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a new Ruger American standard. Stainless/synthetic, 10/22 mag, and 18" threaded heavier barrel sold me.

Fit and finish not as good as CZ, definitely not like the old 77/22s.

As long as it doesn't have the QC problems of the Salvages, and if I can get standard velocity ammo to shoot decently, I'll be happy.

A nicer bolt like a CZ or Browning T might be in my future for 22 precision, I'm not going to tear up my Mossberg M44.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 6:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gabriel] [#11]
I just went through this and ended up with the CZ 455 Tacticool. I did sand out the barrel channel a little as it was really close and running a business card between the barrel and stock wasn't doable. I have to pretty much set up how I want it (need a cheek riser and front rail for one of my bipods). Now I need to gather some different rounds and see what it likes... a day above 10 degrees to shoot it wouldn't hurt either.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gabriel:
I just went through this and ended up with the CZ 455 Tacticool. I did sand out the barrel channel a little as it was really close and running a business card between the barrel and stock wasn't doable. I have to pretty much set up how I want it (need a cheek riser and front rail for one of my bipods). Now I need to gather some different rounds and see what it likes... a day above 10 degrees to shoot it wouldn't hurt either.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Knives-and-Guns/i-cPSLkwb/0/ee905f53/XL/IMG_3368-XL.jpg
View Quote
Nice setup. I have the same rifle sitting in the safe. What scope and rings did you go with?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By airking:

Nice setup. I have the same rifle sitting in the safe. What scope and rings did you go with?

Thanks!
View Quote
Thanks.

I went with the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 and the rings are Seekins low rings (and Area 419 base). I couldn't decide between the Vortex and the Sightron SIII, so I went with the one I found on sale first. I know the rings are overkill, but I wasn't sure which height to get. My 308 has the Seekins medium height rings and could go lower. I figured if these didn't work on the CZ, I could swap them for the ones on my 308.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#15]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Knives-and-Guns/i-cPSLkwb/0/ee905f53/XL/IMG_3368-XL.jpg
View Quote
My 455 shoots Norma match crazy good.shoots the same as the eley target which costs a lot more
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Thanks.

I went with the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 and the rings are Seekins low rings (and Area 419 base). I couldn't decide between the Vortex and the Sightron SIII, so I went with the one I found on sale first. I know the rings are overkill, but I wasn't sure which height to get. My 308 has the Seekins medium height rings and could go lower. I figured if these didn't work on the CZ, I could swap them for the ones on my 308.
View Quote
I picked up a sightron for mine. Need to install it still...

How much did you sand? My gap between the barrel and stock is pretty close/tight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I sanded enough to get a business card through the gap. I used a cut off broom handle and wrapped sandpaper around it. It works perfectly for that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Question for you OP, Now that you have had the rifle for a while do you have any regrets about any part of it vs going with a different rifle?

Reason I am asking is im RIGHT on the ledge of buying a RART but, imo, the CZ seems to be a hair "better" of an rifle.

That being said, the reason im still leaning to the RART is the fact that CZ (and savage) magazines are garbage and the CZ mags are crazy $$ for what they are, vs the Ruger mags are amazing (and cheaper).
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 7:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Are-O-Be] [#19]
Originally Posted By azmp5:
Question for you OP, Now that you have had the rifle for a while do you have any regrets about any part of it vs going with a different rifle?

Reason I am asking is im RIGHT on the ledge of buying a RART but, imo, the CZ seems to be a hair "better" of an rifle.

That being said, the reason im still leaning to the RART is the fact that CZ (and savage) magazines are garbage and the CZ mags are crazy $$ for what they are, vs the Ruger mags are amazing (and cheaper).
View Quote
Even though the CZ mags are plastic, they work well.  I've never had any feeding issues with mine.  I wish they were a little cheaper, but there is nothing wrong with them imo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#20]

View Quote
I'll tell ya, I was sweating it, as I was waiting for the Ruger to transfer, I was thinking, "Boy, did I make a big mistake not getting the CZ???" over and over again...
once it came, I looked it over and thought it was pretty well built. The trigger straight out of the box was pretty decent, and the videos on how to make it better were easy and cost nothing to do...

I prepared myself in advance by getting a variety of ammo as I knew that was key to being happy with it's accuracy... Once I got out to the range and started to zero the scope and shoot for groups, I was amazed at how well the barrel was grouping after only 30-40rds... using the BX-1 mags is awesome, the 10 rds fit flush (vs. CZ 5rd'ers that stick out just a hair)

I can use the BX-15 rd'ers as well, and they are smooth and make the gun very enjoyable. I'm very happy with my choice and would recommend the RART to anyone who wants to chase after the Precision .22 game without having to drop a ton of money.

If a CZ is better then what I have now, I would be hard pressed to see it, based on how well the barrel on the Ruger is shooting with only 100 rds or so thru it. And that little bolt handle on the CZ was also a concern and I knew I would want a larger extended one, but the Glades aftermarket handle gets mixed reviews and adds another $75.  and the 11mm to Weaver rail adapter I knew I was going to want on the CZ adds another $40.

And I know I would want another mag or two... so there is another $70 bucks...

and  Yo Dave  trigger kit... there's another $25.

Theirs $200 additional dollars more for the CZ plus the gun is $100 dollars more then the Ruger. Now I'm into $300 additional dollars spent to get want I want.

That buys a lot of premium match .22 that I can shoot this summer and really wring out the accuracy...

I say go for it... you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Harv24:

I'll tell ya, I was sweating it, as I was waiting for the Ruger to transfer, I was thinking, "Boy, did I make a big mistake not getting the CZ???" over and over again...
once it came, I looked it over and thought it was pretty well built. The trigger straight out of the box was pretty decent, and the videos on how to make it better were easy and cost nothing to do...

I prepared myself in advance by getting a variety of ammo as I knew that was key to being happy with it's accuracy... Once I got out to the range and started to zero the scope and shoot for groups, I was amazed at how well the barrel was grouping after only 30-40rds... using the BX-1 mags is awesome, the 10 rds fit flush (vs. CZ 5rd'ers that stick out just a hair)

I can use the BX-15 rd'ers as well, and they are smooth and make the gun very enjoyable. I'm very happy with my choice and would recommend the RART to anyone who wants to chase after the Precision .22 game without having to drop a ton of money.

If a CZ is better then what I have now, I would be hard pressed to see it, based on how well the barrel on the Ruger is shooting with only 100 rds or so thru it. And that little bolt handle on the CZ was also a concern and I knew I would want a larger extended one, but the Glades aftermarket handle gets mixed reviews and adds another $75.  and the 11mm to Weaver rail adapter I knew I was going to want on the CZ adds another $40.

And I know I would want another mag or two... so there is another $70 bucks...

and  Yo Dave  trigger kit... there's another $25.

Theirs $200 additional dollars more for the CZ plus the gun is $100 dollars more then the Ruger. Now I'm into $300 additional dollars spent to get want I want.

That buys a lot of premium match .22 that I can shoot this summer and really wring out the accuracy...

I say go for it... you will not be disappointed.
View Quote
Thank you for your reply.  It does put me alittle more at ease.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:45:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd2053] [#22]
I guess Ruger will come out with the take down model when sales slow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
I'm very pleased with my RART, especially after doing the DIY trigger job, and adding a DIP optic rail and muzzle device.

And I'm also an owner of two CZ455s.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I am all for variety, but I cant see a Ruger anything shoot like a CZ.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Are those 5 rd groups at 25yds? What ammo?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactEng] [#26]
I got my Ruger American Target rifle about a Month ago and will use it in a 22PRL event in the spring.

It is more accurate then my friends CZ452 out of the box. It prefers Aguila Standard velocity ammo as well as Norma Match -22
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#27]
My RART has shot better than that at 25 and as well at 50 with CCI mini mags and before the DIY trigger job.

That scope mount is too crazy high, unless it has to be that way for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
Good lookin' rifle!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Those are 5 Rd groups at 50 using sk standard plus.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By gunut:[/]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunut:[/]
[b]Originally Posted By Harv24:

It's good shooting, I just picked up a Brick of SK standard.. As soon as the temp gets above 10F I'm going back out to shoot... I''ll see if my Ruger can keep up or not...
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#31]
11 days and Tikka has a new 22 coming out at Shot Show.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BAYOU1535:
11 days and Tikka has a new 22 coming out at Shot Show.
View Quote
So many new releases pulling on my wallet
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Got out today to run some more Eley Target vs. SK standard Plus..

About 35 degree's F
The gun is now leaning toward SK standard plus... which I'm happy about for the price.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Talyn:
My RART has shot better than that at 25 and as well at 50 with CCI mini mags and before the DIY trigger job.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Talyn:

You should post them on here for the undecided thinking of getting a Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#35]
https://i.imgur.com/M055TA0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/luaptVL.jpg

About 35 degree's F
The gun is now leaning toward SK standard plus... which I'm happy about for the price.
View Quote
I dont think it is a good idea to base your ammo selection using 25 yard data unless thats the range you intend to use the most. If that is the range you use most, I would look for cheaper alternatives like MiniMag or AR tactical, or some of the excellent Aguila SV
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Take a look at PRIME ammo as well. Decent accuracy!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#37]

About 35 degree's F
View Quote
Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#38]
Originally Posted By gunut:
I dont think it is a good idea to base your ammo selection using 25 yard data unless thats the range you intend to use the most. If that is the range you use most, I would look for cheaper alternatives like MiniMag or AR tactical, or some of the excellent Aguila SV
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunut:

About 35 degree's F
Agree, I typically use 50 yds as the bench mark, but I wanted to move in a little closer to see if the ammo would make a difference... Initially Eley looked to be better then SK plus, but moving in, Eley opened up a bit and SK tightened.
Next trip I will be back to 50 yds...

But the bottom line take away... Ruger with there hammer forged 18" target barrel (with standard cut chamber) is not the POS that  lot of folks make it out to be...
and for the money, I think it is a great value... I'm pragmatic when it comes to most things shooting... while I would love it if someone gave me a $2k Match Rimfire rifle and a lifetime supply of Match ammo to shoot thru it... I can be quite happy wit this rifle and a $5 box of SK plus... and I can go have fun and compete at a local rimfire match and be OK when  I shoot next to a guy with a $2k rifle and a $2K scope.....shooting $22 a box ammo and our groups look pretty much the same...

Oh and my scope.. a Mueller 8-32x that I paid $250 for, that everyone told me was junk.... and so far, it's been a great optic that tracks very well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I started the exact same thread in GD.

Picked this guy up last week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#40]
My Target rifle in it's new Pillar bedded Boyds Pro Varmint/Tacticool stock....
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#41]
https://i.imgur.com/rInVuGO.jpg
View Quote
Looking to create an almost identical build.  The $$$ factor is the whole reason I want to go 22lr vs .308 for now.  So all the points about keeping cost down just make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 95Bravo72:
Looking to create an almost identical build.  The $$$ factor is the whole reason I want to go 22lr vs .308 for now.  So all the points about keeping cost down just make a lot of sense.
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/rInVuGO.jpg
my rifle specs
Ruger American Rimfire Target (the run $400/ I got a deal at $300)
Boyd Pro Varmint stock with customer Pillars bedded into it.($150)
Modded Trigger (OEM)($0)
DIP 20MOA scope rail($30)
DIP trigger guard($30)
DIP Muzzle comp($35)
Mueller 8x32 target scope(($250)
Medium weaver rings ($20)
Stock pouch ($25)

$840 give or take....And I would go toe to toe with anyone else s rig and not feel under gunned....
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#43]

my rifle specs
Modded Trigger (OEM)($0)
DIP trigger guard($30)
DIP Muzzle comp($35)
Stock pouch ($25)

$840 give or take....And I would go toe to toe with anyone else s rig and not feel under gunned....
View Quote
From the green color that looks like the Model 8334 available through Talo distributors ?   When I look up the American Target it is the one with laminate stock

Nice final price !
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#44]
From the green color that looks like the Model 8334 available through Talo distributors ?   When I look up the American Target it is the one with laminate stock

Nice final price !
View All Quotes

my rifle specs
Modded Trigger (OEM)($0)
DIP trigger guard($30)
DIP Muzzle comp($35)
Stock pouch ($25)

Nice final price !
That is the Boyds Tacticool/Pro Varmint stock that I spray painted OD... different then the green/Black Laminated stock that came with the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Where did you get the Boyds stock from?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Bought it direct from Boyds... I was going to buy it from DIP industries... but they were on back order...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top