Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2017 6:39:41 AM EDT
I recently managed to get a fire arms license for a Ruger 10/22(not that easy in my country), so i am really happy about it. I got the standard one with black synthetic stock. I talked to some people at the local range, and they all said that i needed to change the recoil bolt buffer. I was a bit skeptical to this, since the Ruger 10/22 has been produced for 60years, wouldnt a weaknes like that have been discovered and dealt with buy Ruger?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Won't hurt a think to change it. All it will do is make the action cycling a little quieter. Changing the metal bolt buffer to a softer material gets rid of the metal on metal clanging.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The 10/22 is so highly sought after not because it has been perfected by Ruger for the past 60 years, it is because it is a handy, fun rifle with acceptable accuracy and good reliability out of the box, as well as the fact that it is such an easy rifle to customize. Since Ruger took some time in really capitalizing on modifications to the 10/22 all these years, the aftermarket has expanded to much greater than the factory could even offer. I would recommend shooting your rifle for a little bit just to get used to it, and then consider what you may want to do to it. Personally I find that the most effective and useful basic modifications are an extended magazine release catch, trigger components/trigger, and a scope of some sort. Next on the list would be a different barrel and stock. There are so many different options for the 10/22, and most of them are simple to do and much less expensive than similar modifications to a centerfire semi automatic rifle making the 10/22 a popular choice for tinkerers and those who enjoy working on project guns. A good way to look at it is the 10/22 is the "AR-lite" when it comes to aftermarket. I'm not postive what range of odifications are legal in your country, but I would assume since none of them would change the semi automatic status that most would be accepted. You'll come to see that while handy and a hoot to shoot, the 10//22 is usually not in the same league accuracy wise as a good .22 bolt gun, so you may find yourself wanting to accurize it and tune out some of the slop. Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanx!

I already mounted a 6x scope on it(Hawke Vantage), but i havent had any time to test it. I hope i can make it to the range this weekend. The only thing i actually thought about changing is the stock, the original one feels a bit too plastic for me(i couldnt find it with the woodstock at my local dealers). Ill see if i can find a good wood stock thats not to expensive, sadly the law in my country prohibits me from putting a tactical stock on the rifle, foldable butt and pistol gripp is a no go here :/

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
So, it's like you live in Commiefornia, but w/ fresh Danish pastry and hot Danish wemin!  I'd say you win.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The recoil buffer is just a chunk of urethane cut to length.  It is mostly a noise issue, so no big thing.
Just the other day I added an extended mag release to my 38 year old 10/22.  I had the trigger group removed and cocked the hammer and tried the trigger.  I don't remember what I did decades ago but damn that is a crisp nice trigger.  Meaning that I did it with no directions long ago, so you can do the same.  Pay attention to how the parts interact and you can do some sweet shit for free!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have put about 500 rounds through the rifle, and managed to get 1.4" groups at 55yards. One thing that i thought about to get better accuracy is a new trigger group, i saw that there is a Ruger BX trigger that has half the pull weight of the original trigger. Would that be a good idea?

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You will notice your groups tighten up just a bit with a better trigger, although you will notice the same with just simply more practice, and figuring out which ammo shoots best in your barrel.

If you want a dramatic change in accuracy, look into a new (better) barrel. You would need a new stock as well if you went with a bull barrel, so keep that in mind.
For quite some time i had a Green Mountain running boar barrel. This one. It was a fantastic barrel which allowed me to use my factory stock. (with some very minor sanding to fit.)
Only reason i swapped it out was to go lighter. I ended up with a Whistle Pig. This one. I did have to change my stock at that point. But the accuracy is totally worth it!

I have not used the new Ruger BX trigger pack. But i can vouch for the Kidd, Volquartsen, and Jard as being very nice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I use "Norma 2 - jaktmatch", scandinavian subsonic ammunition, but i am running low(semi auto really increases ammunition usage) so i am going to start using CCI Standard Velocity instead, hopefully that will be just as accurate. One thing that struck my mind is that the barrel isnt free floated, i saw a couple of stocks that dont use the "barrel band" that i might try out...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Charles76:
I use "Norma 2 - jaktmatch", scandinavian subsonic ammunition, but i am running low(semi auto really increases ammunition usage) so i am going to start using CCI Standard Velocity instead, hopefully that will be just as accurate. One thing that struck my mind is that the barrel isnt free floated, i saw a couple of stocks that dont use the "barrel band" that i might try out...
View Quote
Yeah, i think the only stock that uses the band is the factory stocks. You could also simply remove the band and see if that helps...
Or buy a new stock with a bull barrel channel... that way when your ready for a better barrel, you already have the stock.

And i wish you luck with the CCI ammo. It never worked so well in my barrels.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on getting a great .22 rifle. You will find it's like Lego. Swap out parts to give it your own feel. Barrels, Stocks, Triggers, Optics, Etc.. The setups are endless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:  Congrats on getting a great .22 rifle. You will find it's like Lego. Swap out parts to give it your own feel. Barrels, Stocks, Triggers, Optics, Etc.. The setups are endless.
View Quote
You HAD to invoke Lego in a DaneThread.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charles76] [#13]
I did some testing with the CCI Standard Velocity, and i am very happy with the results. As you can see on the pictures, CCI clearly outperforms Norma 2 ammunition, its not even comparable(i shot 4 targets with each combination and picked out the best ones on each combiniation).

The funny thing is that i tested both ammunitions in my CZ455 Varmint, and had the opposit result, Norma 2 outperformed CCI by alot in this rifle.

Its funny how 22lr rifles can be so picky with what ammunition you feed them :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I messured the best of the groups, and i actually got the one in the post down to 13mm, 1/2" witch actually places the accuracy just below 1 MOA. Im really impressed since the rifle is completly stock, with a cheapo 6x40 scope
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice....
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you need to change it....No. Does it quiet it down a bit....Yes. I'd say if you're running a suppressor it's worth swapping out. It only there to stop the bolt from going to far back and dropping down, but the bolt does contact it while cycling. If you do swap it I'd suggest the Kidd Buffer, it's like $6 and comes with two
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top