Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 9/26/2017 6:53:22 PM EDT
I finally have the money, still can't decide though. Should I go with a nemo arms, falkor etc. Semi 300 win mag.
Or save some money and build a bolt action on a rem 700 action. Main goal is accuracy. What say you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been trying I really have no way to try it out, I've held a nemo arms watchmen and it felt alright, the fit was good, bolt was smooth. Is there a specific reason I should avoid it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have NEMO in 300 WM and a GA Precision 300 WM the GA Precision gun runs ONLY factory Virgin Brass.  In 300 WM resizing does not size the belt of the case.  My GA Precison is in an AI 2.0 folding stock and I dont really like the rifle overall as well as a stock Remmington R5 Mil Spec. I have had a Sako in 300 WM and the mag overall length was too short but a TRG would probably be different mags than the A7.  I have a Tikka 300 WSM and love the non belted case when it comes to reloading. Also have a Ruger 300 WM which feeds everything
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
just curious. do you already have a precision rig in a smaller cartridge and your working up into a magnum? or is this your first precision rig?

if it's your first I'd highly recommend starting with a milder cartridge to learn the ropes at they say. you can learn a lot of bad habits starting with a magnum that could be hard to untrain.

I'd start with a .223, 6.5 of some sort, .308 ect... there are a lot of great turn key options out there that can get you into the sport. tikka is high on the charts in my opinion with savage, howa, and Remington offering some good starters as well. if you go the .223 route try and find something with a 8-7 twist barrel.

now if your already seasoned and upgrading I'd go bolt all the way! the 300wm really can shine with a throated fast twist barrel to handle the 200+ class bullets. while I think the nemo is a novel idea I'd leave the magnums to a turn bolt for the added accuracy personally.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Bolt gun for precision work. Semi-auto if you need rapid fire capability and don't mind sacrificing some accuracy. I'd go bolt action for 300 Win Mag though for sure. I mean you can get a nice 308 semi auto like a KAC SR25. 
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#7]
If your number one goal is accuracy have a bolt gun built and use a custom action, not a 700.

Gas guns can be plenty accurate, but bolt guns are just a better tool for that job.  

Also not sure what your shooting goals are, but 300WM probably isn't the best way to attain it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Bolt gun for practical accuracy. 700 will be infinitely customizable and you can probably come by the action cheap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I would take a Falkor over a Nemo.

I've only handled Nemos and was not impressed with the build quality.

Falkor (formerly SI Defense) makes excellent receivers although admittedly I have not seen a complete gun from them.

That being said, I voted "something else". If you really want a .300WM, get it on a custom action. I just had a 7mm Mag built on a Bighorn TL3 and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have the money for a Falkor, you have the money for a custom bolt gun, probably built off of a custom action. For consistent accuracy, get a bolt gun. They hide technique flaws more than a gas gun will. A buddy has several Falkors (223, 308, 6.5creed, 6 creed and the 300wm), and while they are accurate, they aren't consistently as accurate as his custom bolt guns.

Unless it's just for hunting or as an ELR rifle (beyond 1200 regularly), I wouldn't get a 300wm. And if for hunting, there's no way that I'd want to lug around a  large frame AR either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I voted for “something else.”

I’d go with a custom action and built from there. The semi auto 300’s are show guns, fun to take out and play with but not really practical for most people’s uses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy this TRG 42.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:53:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Buy this TRG 42.
View Quote
And theseTrg 42 mags for $192/ea

And this TRG bipod for $505

And this TRG folding stock assembly for $2750

I really like the TRG but the only explanation I can come up with for the ridiculous cost of TRG accessories is that Berreta USA is sticking it to people and it's enough to turn me away from a rifle I want. Not to mention I've heard claims that Berreta has been unresponsive and wouldn't return emails or phone calls and customers were unable to order parts to get a downed rifle back up and running.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#15]
Originally Posted By roamin:

And theseTrg 42 mags for $192/ea

And this TRG bipod for $505

And this TRG folding stock assembly for $2750

I really like the TRG but the only explanation I can come up with for the ridiculous cost of TRG accessories is that Berreta USA is sticking it to people and it's enough to turn me away from a rifle I want. Not to mention I've heard claims that Berreta has been unresponsive and wouldn't return emails or phone calls and customers were unable to order parts to get a downed rifle back up and running.
View Quote
Only a moron would spend $2750 on the TRG folder when you can get the KRG for $900 and sell the fixed one for a few hundred dollars.  Folding stocks are really necessary either in my opinion and the only reason I have one on my AIAT is because I am lazy and it makes removing the bolt easier.  You also can't add them later on the AI rifles like you can on the AIAT so it increases resale value and speed if you get it when you order your rifle.

You can find lightly used bipods for ~$300 with a little searching.  My Atlas was $335 by the time I added the ADM QD mount.

The magazines are expensive but Beretta does have sales or you can find deals on them with some searching too.  I have 15 magazines for my AIAT but really only need 3-4 at most.  TRG magazines are expensive but they are also very nice magazines.

Euro Optic doesn't have the best pricing on pretty much anything I just wanted to show the rifle.

I would definitely shop around for the rifle as here is a used one for under $3K at this moment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

Only a moron would spend $2750 on the TRG folder when you can get the KRG for $900 and sell the fixed one for a few hundred dollars.  Folding stocks are really necessary either in my opinion and the only reason I have one on my AIAT is because I am lazy and it makes removing the bolt easier.  You also can't add them later on the AI rifles like you can on the AIAT so it increases resale value and speed if you get it when you order your rifle.

You can find lightly used bipods for ~$300 with a little searching.  My Atlas was $335 by the time I added the ADM QD mount.

The magazines are expensive but Beretta does have sales or you can find deals on them with some searching too.  I have 15 magazines for my AIAT but really only need 3-4 at most.  TRG magazines are expensive but they are also very nice magazines.

Euro Optic doesn't have the best pricing on pretty much anything I just wanted to show the rifle.

I would definitely shop around for the rifle as here is a used one for under $3K at this moment.
View Quote
I think important data points to consider when purchasing a rifle in this price point are the cost of all TRG accessories which I think are astronomically inflated and I believe show a possible indication of how a manufacture will treat me if I ever have a problem or need their support. Likewise I've heard reports from those who have needed parts to get a rifle running again and Berreta USA was unresponsive they were unable to get ahold of anyone at Berreta who could/would help them source a part either via email or by phone. It's not just the cost of the accessories my fear is that for whatever reason if I broke a part which was not offered or is no longer sold years from now from Sako's 3rd party retailers like EuroOptic that I will be SOL.

Yes I realize that KRG makes a folding stock for the TRG, I'd rather have an actual Sako part however. You can't say if folding stocks are necessary without knowing a users intended use of a rifle. Buyers should not be forced to buy used accessories like bipods or thrid party accessories like stocks due the fact that a manufacture is gouging. It's a shame because as I've already stated I want this rifle but if a manufacture can't offer service there are others who will and I'll take my business elsewhere. It is also for the same reasons that I wouldn't purchase a Tikka rifle either. You may not agree with my opinions here but they aren't going to change.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#17]
AI isn't better about parts availability necessarily nor are any other the other custom action manufacturers out there for that matter.

Even "drop in" bolts for the R700 aren't necessarily free of any gunsmithing.  Small parts may be more available for domestically produced rifles but that's pretty much it.

Even Savage has trouble with parts since they change their actions more often than many people change vehicles.

There are lots of rifle choices out there now so as long as people do their research and are comfortable with their choice that is what matters.  

Buyer beware is always the name of the game when spending big money on a rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top