Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 9:03:31 AM EDT
I asked this over in the Primary Arms forum and haven't gotten any replies, so I'm hoping I can get some input here.

I haven't had time to do any handloads for an upcoming match this weekend (steel plates), so I bought some Creedmoor Sports .308 loaded with 155gr Lapua Scenar bullets (I called and asked, their test rifle has a 24" barrel, and the ammo is runs at 2820 fps at the muzzle). The scope I'm using is a Primary Arms 4-14x44 with their ACSS HUD DMR reticle on the FFP, sitting on a Rem 700 SPS Varmint with the stock 26" 1/12 barrel, and the match is supposed to be out to 850 yards. According to the EBC V2 app I have, things don't quite match up. So I'm hoping that somebody has experience with 155s and this reticle, in order to avoid using too much ammo to verify what the app is telling me.

I'm also liking this app, by the way. It's the only one I could find with this reticle.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#1]
No chronographed numbers, no atmospherics and a BDC reticle, good luck.

Live fire is about your only hope. Doesn't matter what bullet you are using if you are guessing the rest. 

One cannot make predictions without data.

What is your actual MV?
What is your air temp?
What is your elevation?
What is your mount height?

Here you go, 850 is on a line, that is the best you can hope for with a BDC reticle. They suck.

2860fps
29.9 in/hg
80°
1.900" mount height
.050" low @100
Attachment Attached File

Ha! This is the closest I could get dinking with numbers.

2787fps
73°
.222 G7 bc
-.1" low @100
70%
1.900" height.

Anyway you get the idea, BDC reticles are only good for one moment in time.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#2]
Yeah, I wanted to get the R-Grid reticle. But when I went to buy it this spring, it had been discontinued and I couldn't find any at the online dealers. I settled for this because of the rangefinding features. *shrug* Oh well, it is what it is.

And the data I plugged is was from a forecast. Mid 60s, don't remember the rest. Also I called Creedmoor Sports and asked how long their test barrel is, they said 24". They advertise this round at 2820 fps at the muzzle, so since I have a 26" barrel, I made an educated guess and rounded it up to 2850. I'm on the road right now, so I can't  chrono anything until I get home. And I'm probably going to wind up buying a weather meter of some sort. Kinda looking at the WeatherFlow Bluetooth thingy, but I'm trying to figure out if it'll work with this EBR app. I know it would work with the BallisticsArc app, but I haven't been able to find out if it has my reticle in it.

Which app are you using, Popinfresh?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I use AppliedBallistics Mobile but for your reticle I used Strelok Pro. AB Mobile isn't reticle friendly but I dial for everything so...

Is dialing for drops an option with your scope?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure you'll have fun, but that type of reticle holding over for any type of match is going to frustrate you to some degree.  A MIL based or MOA based reticle is a lot easier to use especially with changing atmospherics, and when you is it's much easier to measure how much you need to correct by.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:39:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I use AppliedBallistics Mobile but for your reticle I used Strelok Pro. AB Mobile isn't reticle friendly but I dial for everything so...

Is dialing for drops an option with your scope?
View Quote
Ah, ok. My reticle isn't in the free version of Strelok. I do know that the Bluetooth meter I mentioned above does work with both versions of Strelok. I went ahead and ordered because it got alot of positive reviews. At least I'll have an option if it doesn't work with EBR.

And I don't trust the repeatability of the dials (the clicks are mushy) on this scope so I doubt I'll be messing with them. It's going to eventually end up on a DMRish type build I've been gathering parts for. Basically a shits 'n giggles, let's go kill some bean cans type of rifle. I want a better quality scope on my 700, but this will do for now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I'm sure you'll have fun, but that type of reticle holding over for any type of match is going to frustrate you to some degree.  A MIL based or MOA based reticle is a lot easier to use especially with changing atmospherics, and when you is it's much easier to measure how much you need to correct by.
View Quote
Oh yeah, I know I'll have fun. And it's just whacking steel plates, so there can be a little bit of slop. I figure I'll just keep tabs on what the meter says and just wing it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
My Bluetooth Kestrel works with Strelok, Shooter and AB Mobile(on my android phones) so should be no issues with your device.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#8]
Ended up having to buy Strelok Pro, the WeatherFlow device wouldn't pair up with the EBR app. Oh well. Seems to work well enough.

I'll have to do my sighting in tomorrow morning before the match. Just got home a little bit ago and am about out of daylight.

Thanks for the help!

Also, I forgot, but this reticle does have mils built into it, as well as the rangefinding and bullet drop lines. I forgot about that point earlier.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:31:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#9]
Ran out of daylight last night, so i was going to zero it this morning. Yeah, that didn't work out...

I'll have to go out there after the match or tomorrow morning. I still want to see how well this combo works.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#10]
It's going to be really hard to get a load to exactly match your reticle.  What you may have to do if you are in a situation where you have to use a specific type of ammo is to zero (BDC zero based on the reticle) it at say 500yds, then live with the fact that the reticle will be a bit off on either side of 500. Know the bias amounts and compensate.  It should be in the ballpark but for real precision shots you're going to be struggling a bit.  I have the ACSS reticle on one of my guns because I really do like it for what it is.  Quick range estimating and a system that will quickly get you in the ballpark on a reasonably sized target... but really not ideal for precision hold overs when points matter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#11]
300 yard sight in an a  .mil cheat sheet and good luck. Ballistic reticles require you to verify your data at range. But if you do they are good for quick shot. I would trust a mooshy dial over a none verified reticle.

Have you shot to any range where you can plug data into your application for a correction?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
300 yard sight in an a  .mil cheat sheet and good luck. Ballistic reticles require you to verify your data at range. But if you do they are good for quick shot. I would trust a mooshy dial over a none verified reticle.

Have you shot to any range where you can plug data into your application for a correction?
View Quote
No, I haven't made it to the range yet. @#$n' job and stuff that needs done at home has prevented that from happening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top