Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2017 12:15:59 PM EDT
I 'm at a crossroads for what I would like to do right now, I have been putting together a bolt gun project for a little over 6 months now. I decided to go with a tikka ctr 24 inch 6.5 creedmoor I already purchased a mcmillan a5 to put it in and a gen 2 razor to put on top. Im at the point now where all I need to buy is the gun to begin shooting. However now larue has attempted to throw a wrench in my plans with this larue build kit in 6.5 grendel. I already intend to build a grendel just due to the fact that some of the reloading components can cross over for the 6.5, but was planning on doing it after the bolt gun was done I just dont know how long thes build kits will be around at this price and I feel like its a hell of a deal.

Either way I intend to shoot my first long range match come october or november, either way at this point me as the shooter will be the limiting factor in the competition. I have competed in other shooting sports but am new to this and just stepping into the long range world which I do love but point being I realize I will not be competitive at this point I just no the best way to get better is to hop in and do it. My real question is which would you guys do finish the bolt gun you've been building for a while or buy the deal while its around. With the tikka all i would need to shoot after I purchase is the gun is a 20 moa rail. With the larue build I would still need to buy a lower which I would have to buy quality of course because I wont be putting my larue build on a psa lower lol, and I would go with a larue lt1112 20 moa rail so thats roughly another 500$. I already have rings for the razor so after I buy a 20 moa rail on the bolt gun id be shooting.

Regardless I do intend to have the bolt gun done and a 6.5 grendel both with their own glass at some point the question is which would you guys do for now?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I see them as different roles, so maybe this can help. I see 6.5G as a capable round that was designed to fit in a compact magazine. It is efficient and effective, and while it can be pressed into long range quite effectively, I don't see it as a dedicated precision round. Nor do I see AR's, even kickass ones, as a cost effective way to shoot at or beyond 1000 yards.

6.5 Creedmoor is pretty inexpensive for very high quality match ammo, and the Tikka is a sweet action. It is a serious shooter. The difference between Grendel and Creedmoor is a few hundred FPS, but that allows you the flexibility to get heavier projectiles in the 140-147 range.

Having been faced with this choice myself, I went the Tikka CTR 24. That Grendel is tempting, especially the Larue. But I'd still get the Tikka first if I did it over again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree 100% and I would like to be able to fulfill both roles just got carried away with the price for that larue kit. However I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the tikka! It's been a long time coming Figured I should just get this project done!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
LT came out with a 6.5 CM kit yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:
LT came out with a 6.5 CM kit yesterday.
View Quote
Why does larue do these things to use lol! I guess I know what ill be purchasing next!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the face they offer a dpms cut upper.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns:
I see them as different roles, so maybe this can help. I see 6.5G as a capable round that was designed to fit in a compact magazine. It is efficient and effective, and while it can be pressed into long range quite effectively, I don't see it as a dedicated precision round. Nor do I see AR's, even kickass ones, as a cost effective way to shoot at or beyond 1000 yards.

6.5 Creedmoor is pretty inexpensive for very high quality match ammo, and the Tikka is a sweet action. It is a serious shooter. The difference between Grendel and Creedmoor is a few hundred FPS, but that allows you the flexibility to get heavier projectiles in the 140-147 range.

Having been faced with this choice myself, I went the Tikka CTR 24. That Grendel is tempting, especially the Larue. But I'd still get the Tikka first if I did it over again.
View Quote
I agree, finish the bolt gun. Now, if you were going with the Larue 6.5 Creedmore, I'd say go with that. The 6.5 Grendel is really kind of a solution looking for a problem. Semiauto LR guns take a lot of planning, solid assembly skills, and a touch of mechanical voodoo. If you don't have the talents to do it yourself, Larue makes semiauto magic. I'm expecting some good things from Geissele's new rifles as well. Wilson Combat guns are OK.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns:

View Quote
f

This would be my exact advice.  6.5 Grendel is only going maybe 2300-2400 fps with the heavier VLD bullets which are better at longer range.  I also think it's slightly more expensive to get 1000 yard accuracy out of semi auto than a bolt gun.  The extra 300-350fps that the 6.5CM will give you over the Grendel helps in that 700-1000 yard range if that's what you truly want to do.

said another way, the 6.5CM is a more versatile round, it'll carry a heavier bullet faster, and get you out further easier than a 6.5Grendel will, so I'd go that way first.  you can always build a 6.5G later if you want, but the 6.5CM will do everything the 6.5G will, but not so much the other way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Finish what you started...
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully OP finished the build by now. It's been 4 months. Let's hear about it OP?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chevyguy2012] [#11]
https://i.imgur.com/84mWk9R.jpg
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Will post pics tonight somehow might have to finally become a member
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chevyguy2012] [#13]

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]

testing factory loads, will eventually come up with my own recipe but for now Im very happy with this.

Rifle has not been bedded yet just put in the stock want to cerakote and install new recoil lug etc before bedding.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
McMillian stocks normally don't need to be bedded.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
well as you can see its shooting good as is but regardless I will bed the rifle eventually because why not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top