Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2017 1:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RFutch]
I'm taking my first LR class at the end of this month. It's the Basic K&M LR class.

Just want to know if any of you have taken this class and what to expect? Or what to expect in general from any class that you have taken that might apply?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything that K&M puts on is world class! Excellent choice in your training, but the range will likely spoil you.

Any idea who the instructors are? I'm sure that they will be impressive; just curious if any buddies are helping out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know who they will be. The class is 7/29-7/30 though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Heard nothing but great things.

But man, it's gonna be warm.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't taken a class there, but I have shot PRS there.  The facility is amazing and the staff is awesome.  You will learn a lot and have a blast.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I;m hoping to learn how to better read the wind, that's my biggest struggle.

Hopefully a cold front will come through that weekend cause it is already warm out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RFutch:
I;m hoping to learn how to better read the wind, that's my biggest struggle.

Hopefully a cold front will come through that weekend cause it is already warm out.
View Quote
The only bad thing I can say about that at K&M, is all the ranges face the same direction so once you get the wind figured out it's pretty easy to stay on top of it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, it is an awesome facility. I've shot a bunch of matches out there and finally joined as a member this year. Shannon is an awesome teacher and practices what he preaches in matches that he shoots. I've been fortunate to shoot and train with him a few times informally and have picked up a good amount of info from him. As it's one of his main courses I'd be surprised if he wasn't teaching it. I'd say you'll probably have the Allen's there as well, Bradley and Brian are two of his instructors and have always been nice in my experience with them. They are also both ranked in the top 10 in the country in PRS and shoot for K&M.

I'd say you'll definitely enjoy the experience. He will probably have the new bunkhouse ready for you guys, I saw they were working on it last weekend when we were down for the one day match. Oh and if y'all get the chance, go eat at Snookums in Henderson. It's good food and they have a legit salad bar lol. Give us a report back when you finish up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys. I will share my experience when I get back from there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:08:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cedimerif] [#9]
Please do report back, I'm taking the same intro class early August! I'd love to hear about your experiences.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:55:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RFutch] [#10]
AAR

Got back from this weekend’s class and man was it fun. My class followed the Basic PR Class with some small differences. First, the whole weekend was sponsored by Swarovski/Kahles and Bergara Rifles. I cannot give them enough thanks for inviting me to this event and treating us like royalty while we were there. The people from Swaro were as humble and professional as you will see in this industry. The guys from Bergara were just as great and cool as hell to hang out with. We were all equipped with Bergara rifles and Kahles 624i scopes with the exception of a few MOA guys that used Swaro X5s. Every scope worked flawless and I only heard of one rifle having a pin drift out of the mag release the entire weekend. The optics was a known quality but I had not had any experience with Bergara’s products prior to this. I will say I was quite impressed for factory rifles.  Quality, accuracy, and reliability were all exceptional. All were 6.5 CM and were a joy to shoot. My assigned rifle was a BMP model.

Ok enough about us being pampered, what about K&M right? Well the entire crew was top notch. A few “type A” personalities but they were polite and professional the entire weekend. Even when someone, who will remain unnamed, shot the wrong target they were still respectful in scolding you and helped you to correct your mistake. Yes it was still a “Hit” and they were able to have a little fun with everyone in these situations.

Shannon Kay, Brian and Christine Allen, Bradley Allen, Mike Rogan, and Jason Redding all were involved in our training as we had a class of 25 shooters. Each of them was great to learn from and still made sure you had fun while doing it.
The first day we set up equipment to each shooter and zeroed each rifle. After some classroom time, we were shooting out to 1000 yards with consistency, and recording our DOPE for each rifle. Previous to this I have only ever had the opportunity to shoot to 700 yards with no formal instruction. At the end of our drills they gave us the option to head in to relax or keep shooting on our own for fun. I opted for the latter and asked Shannon if I could shoot at 1200 yards. He had me dial 12 mils and hold 1.2mils for my first shot which was just barely a miss on a 100% IPSC. He had me correct to 11.5 mils and hold 1.6 mils for wind and my second shot was a hit. I then spent the next half hour shooting from 1000 to 1200 with only a few misses. Needless to say it was great.

Day 2 started with some more classroom time and then it was off to shoot movers at 500 yards/300 yards and the UKD range. I was a little intimidated with the thought shooting movers as I have never done that before. With a little instruction I was connecting on 75%-90% of the shots taken. I did have a bad habit to overcome with staying disciplined on when to shoot and Shannon was not shy in letting me know it. At the same time he calmed me down, reminded me of the fundamentals and I was hitting targets again.

The UKD range was also a lot of fun. We had 4 targets that ranged from roughly 500-800 yards. We had to range each target with our reticle and show the yardages to the instructor which was Jason. At this time he would either tell you that you need to go back and try again or you could engage each one of your targets. I was able to range them all on the first try and engage each target with a first round hit without touching the scope. This course of fire had to be done using just the holds on the reticle.

That afternoon we all participated in a small competition with five different stages to culminate what we had learned. I didn’t do as well as I would have liked after completely dropping one of the stages by hitting a couple “hostages” lol. Head shots are not easy. The rest of the weekend I was pretty happy with how I shot. I will also say it is an awesome feeling having top ranked PRS shooters tell you “Nice job” after you shoot a stage clean.

There was a lot of information presented in the classroom but they did not expect you to retain everything. They did however want you to have a grasp of each concept before shooting and it would later come together on the range.

Overall it was a great experience and I learned a lot. I will definitely follow up one day with a more advanced course and I also know where I will take that course when I’m ready.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
That sounds like an awesome time. Even better about getting to use all the sponsored gear too. If the weather was the same in west TN as in middle TN you guys should have been spoiled considering how hot its been the last couple of weeks. Glad you guys had a good time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad you enjoyed it.  I know a couple of the people that were there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I had no complaints about the weather. It rained the entire drive there from NE GA but the rest of the weekend was 85* highs. We got lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top