Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
I'm finally jumping into my first 6.5, and have it narrowed down to the Ruger Precision, and Savage Stealth.

Any opinions on which route to go between the two? Is there another option I've overlooked?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the Ruger,maybe someday.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sasnak6:
I really like the Ruger,maybe someday.
View Quote
Have you personally used the Ruger or Savage?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only shot the Savage, that being said mine is boringly accurate. It's also cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA has a sale on the RPR bringing it close to the price I paid for the Savage.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:
PSA has a sale on the RPR bringing it close to the price I paid for the Savage.
View Quote
Yeah with that deal I would vote in this order:
1) RPR
2) Tikka T3x
3) Savage Stealth

It's not that the Savage is bad or inaccurate, however, the other 2 are better designed in my opinion.  I have owned a Savage 10FP, own a T3x, and looked at the RPR quite a few times but haven't fired one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my RPR. Hits at 1K yards are no problem.....as long as the wind isn't too bad
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Last year I bought the Savage Stealth, and a buddy bought the RPR.

IMO after shooting both, you really can't go wrong with either.  Comes down to looks and personal preference on accessories.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]
RPR all the way.

I have a Savage as well. Both are shooters but I prefer the RPR platform.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Those of you that seem to prefer the RPR platform, what are some of the reasons why?

I've already got a couple Savages that have treated me well over the years. Ruger is local, though, and I've also owned a few of those over the years. Guess I'm just trying to see why I should spend the extra few hundred on the Ruger over the Savage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I really love the RPR. I shoot it well and it's solidly built. 
The only complaint I have is it's heavy. And bulky. So I built a Remington 700 in 6.5CM as my field rifle. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got the RPR in 5.56. Shot it twice so far at 100 yards. Very satisfied. Nice and heavy. Well put together. Magazines are smooth and I like the trigger a lot. 40 rounds through and no issues.
The internet hype is indeed true on this rifle. I'd get the Creedmoor version in a heartbeat, if I didn't already have one.
I'm going to stretch it out to 300 and 400 yards this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the Stealth last Christmas. The RPR in 6.5 was hard to find.  I immediately took the FAB Defense stock off and bought the MDT skeleton stock and replaced it.  The local Dick's Sporting Goods had the RPR in 6.5 CM on sale and there was one left so I bought it for Cinco de Mayo even though I'm not Hispanic (any reason to buy a gun I say).  I haven't put any glass on either. The RPR's magwell allows several kinds of mags while the Savage does not.  Weight is close to the same after I slapped the MDT stock on.  I'm still debating whether or not to replace the RPR stock with a Magpul PRS.  So far I have a Kahles 6-24 and I'm considering a Minox ZP5 with the MR4 reticle.  I will get a chance soon to take them out and compare them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd look at a Tikka T3x or Bergara B14 HMR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the rpr. I like it over the save just due to aesthetics and features. Mags is a big one in favor.of the rpr. Mine has been super accurate from day one with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cmalone1:
I have the rpr. I like it over the save just due to aesthetics and features. Mags is a big one in favor.of the rpr. Mine has been super accurate from day one with factory ammo.
View Quote

I don't understand that comment.
The Stealth uses AICS mags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

I don't understand that comment.
The Stealth uses AICS mags.
View Quote
I think what he's referring to is the RPR uses AICS and Pmags as well as some M14 mags 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
I'd look at a Tikka T3x or Bergara B14 HMR.
View Quote
Bingo.

I almost went Savage, never cared for the RPR. But took a shot on the Bergara and it's been stellar. Accuracy that I thought was unachievable in a factory rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Bingo.

I almost went Savage, never cared for the RPR. But took a shot on the Bergara and it's been stellar. Accuracy that I thought was unachievable in a factory rifle.
View Quote
I have a Bergara B14 HMR and a family member a Tikka T3x CTR - after only about 25 rounds each fired during barrel break-in and zeroing, both are easy MOA shooters with the least expensive factory ammo we could find, budget scopes, and us monkeys behind the trigger.  I have zero doubt these will be sub-MOA with a little more time behind the trigger and proper load selection/development.

I've never shot or handled the Savage or the RPR,
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought one on the EE, probably get it in a week. Will let you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top