Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2017 3:53:51 PM EDT
Last winter I was shooting when it was around 0deg and quite humid out. I actually had ice build up on some of my scope lenses and could not think of a way to clear it so I tried to melt it with my breath enough that I could wipe it away. You can probably imagine that was a huge mistake because my breath basically froze instantly to the lenses and made it really unusable.

I was thinking about carrying a small squeeze bottle of alcohol around with me to squirt on the lens if I ever had icing issues again. Any issues with that? Does anybody have any other remedies to an iced scope in cold temperatures?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By benb:
Last winter I was shooting when it was around 0deg and quite humid out. I actually had ice build up on some of my scope lenses and could not think of a way to clear it so I tried to melt it with my breath enough that I could wipe it away. You can probably imagine that was a huge mistake because my breath basically froze instantly to the lenses and made it really unusable.

I was thinking about carrying a small squeeze bottle of alcohol around with me to squirt on the lens if I ever had icing issues again. Any issues with that? Does anybody have any other remedies to an iced scope in cold temperatures?
View Quote
Tape on hand warmers near objective and ocular lenses? Spitballing here, I usually just modify breathing so I don't breath on the lens, I haven't had the problem you describe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had that problem.  I've found covers provide adequate protection
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top