Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/8/2015 12:21:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762]
My buddies and I are constantly testing our gear on our outings.  One thing that we are continually reevaluating is the contents of our packs.  

Several of us have gone to keeping different packs set up and ready to "go".   I went through my light 3day pack again the other day and tried to eliminate more weight, but wasn't very successful.  Both packs have survival gear, med kits, two days food, mags and ammo for my precision rifles, tripod and either binoculars or a spotting scope and range finder.

I'd love to hear from people what they consider essential gear for their recon/bug out packs and why there included it.  I'll have to go take some pictures and get a list of gear of my own.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, not great pictures, sorry.  Got too late in the day to take them outside.  

I weighed my "light" pack tonight.  just under 20lbs. No water included.
Loaded...

20150208_175239 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The contents

20150208_175800 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The rope is obviously easy to leave if we aren't going to be any where where it would be handy, but up in the mountains I've found it to be pretty handy.  Worth the weight?  Not every time.
The other stuff is fairly obvious.  

My theme for this pack is survival without support for three days, and support my precision rifle, probably more likely my DMR type AR15.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#2]
Here's the heavy pack.  It's more of my bug out pack, but also set up for my .308 AR.   It has camo netting, for a hide, also some for the rifle, and a tarp.  This one has the spotting scope, the tripod, and various other shooting accessories, such as a bean bag, and hearing protection.  It has similar survival gear, but more of it, and multiple forms.  The sunscreen, and bug dope may seem overkill, but I burn pretty easy, and mosquitoes suck.  

There are white scraps to add to the camo if there is snow on the ground.  Gloves, a veil, a hat, wire cutters, a folding hunting knife, sharpener, flashlight, headlamp, ducttape, survival blankets, and first aid kit make up more of what's there.  Not sure if the hatchet is necessary but it comes in pretty handy making camp.  There is aslo a life straw for water, batteries, lint, flint/steel, lighters, candles, fuel tabs, small grill, and an eating utensil kit.

2 mags with 20rds each.  

28lbs, without water
</a>
20150208_180702 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a>
20150208_181342 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
nice packs, but dude, people 'bug out' from places like chicago or NY to places like WY.   If you're already in WY...  just stock up on hot cocoa for when the rest of us get there.

you can make a lot of that stuff lighter, and you can pack a lot tighter.  for instance, instead of carrying a whole roll of two types of tape, just wrap a couple feet of it around that silver bottle.
is that really a whole spool of 3 different colors of thread?  it's hard to tell from the pics, but why?
get rid of the individual packaging for most of that stuff
get a smaller bottle of the bug spray
swap your full size roll of TP for a small flat pack of some baby wipes.  your roll of TP will never survive getting wet.
not sure what part of WY you are in, but last time i drove through, i didn't see a single tree, so what were you planning to use that hatchet on?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taliv:
nice packs, but dude, people 'bug out' from places like chicago or NY to places like WY.   If you're already in WY...  just stock up on hot cocoa for when the rest of us get there.

you can make a lot of that stuff lighter, and you can pack a lot tighter.  for instance, instead of carrying a whole roll of two types of tape, just wrap a couple feet of it around that silver bottle.
is that really a whole spool of 3 different colors of thread?  it's hard to tell from the pics, but why?
get rid of the individual packaging for most of that stuff
get a smaller bottle of the bug spray
swap your full size roll of TP for a small flat pack of some baby wipes.  your roll of TP will never survive getting wet.
not sure what part of WY you are in, but last time i drove through, i didn't see a single tree, so what were you planning to use that hatchet on?
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.
Most of this stuff is just what I had lying around.  The thread is two roles, not three, the other is an elastic bandage.  I had the dark cord, but ordered the lighter color, lighter thread for snares, ect.  Ill lose the heavier dark cord.  

Good idea on the bug spray.  I'll find a smaller bottle.

Baby wipes.....didn't think of that instead of tp.  Ill do that.  

Hatchet works well on sagebrush, and driving in tent stakes.  I'm not sure I want to give it up.  I also split ribs and backbones  when hunting.  

I take the heavy bag to our cabin each time.  It makes a good emergency kit to throw in the RzR or the 4 wheeler.

ETA:  ok, let's see The contents of your recon pack.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:18:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparks556] [#5]
Guns762! I have been waiting for this topic to hit the field craft section...This will be a great topic for guys to build on so we can see kit others are rocking...This is my place holder for when the girls fall asleep so I can take some pics and post it up... So we are doing the light in and out ...red dawn.. American guerrilla  style pack and the heavy I'll be in the hills for a while sniper pack... Nice.. Let's make this a good conversation.... So basically if you had a few buddies.. No support or resupply from a group or army.. And you had to go out and do over watch for protection from others be it a occupying country or other people surviving the next natural disaster. What are you guys running and why?  I can't wait to here from the city guys because they will have a totally different load out for hides and such then us out hear in the mountains.. This will be great...  

Ok first up is what's on my vest.. It's a haley with 4 primary mags and 2 glock 17 mags.. A Glock 19 in a g-code holster.. A bg emergancy survival kit. Gloves. A fox karambit and shemagh that is colored for time of year. I think that's it. I run a hsgi battle belt with shoulder straps that keep everything solid when on the move. I keep a blow out kit in my pants cargo pocket with all the basic medical and tourniquet.. Second cargo gets mechanic gloves and whatever boonie hat fits the season.. If I am not running a semi auto sniper like my Vepr, or scar heavy Ill run styer aug mags, tavor, or ak mags in this rig.I will carry a second rifle suppressed if I run a bolt gun..

Ok this is a new pack I am trying out so we will see how it works this year.. I haven't had a chance to cut some cloth and camo it up yet.. Got some tan and white for the finish of winter then will remove white and add a little green for summer. I keep the pack pretty empty due to the fact our seasons are so extreme I will add or subtract clothing and such depending on time of the year. I didn't get a pick of the stuff sleeping bag in the bottom. I also usually carry a rugar .22 pistol and 500 rds... Can should clear in the next few month for this. didn't get a pic of this but is super handy for small game or if some quiet work needs to happen..
Other then that I carry a few mres and some energy bars. Extra batteries for two flash lights. Some medication ex pain killers and such, a few electrolyte packets.. A few forms of fire starter.. Some hide netting.. Duck tape 25' and snar/ trip wire string which is heavy upholstery string.. Works for many things. Also carry a sog hawk steel bottle Binos..and a shooting/ sleeping pad depending on the outing duration..

Ok and this is a new concept I am trying after reading more into the guerrilla sniper side of the house. I use to pack the kinda stuff that the military sniper/recon would pack but I will never be storming a city and figured the guerrilla sniper is more of the tactic I would have to use.. One or two guys operating without back up or assistance. So on that note I have been running a shoulder bag from LaRue with my rifle gear in it. This can be slung and strapped to my belt and leg.. So when I get in my hide or shooting position I can take off my pack and have this little bag with evarything I need right there. Some of you guys might laugh but so far has worked great for what I do..

Has my range finder and wind meter plus tripods, extra mags, bug and sun wipes, tape, beanbag, 550 and upholstery thread, all my shooting data and maps/ Google photos of area, and gun maintenance kit. Water and some food, zip lock bags for waste if things get crazy.. And a few other odds and ends..

And just for fun a pic of one of my favorite rifles.. A Vepr 308.. It's maybe not the most precision but 1.5 moa makes me happy and anything 800 and in I can get without much effort and out to 1200 I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.. I have also ran the dsa spr.. Scar heavy.. Ptr 91.. M1a mod 1.. A few 700s..psl.. Mk12 and am saving my coins for a 82a1 and desert tech 300 win.. Some day all are fantastic weapons..

Also one of my favs is my scar heavy.. Light and a tac driver.. Not exactly a true sniper rifle but then again..gets the job done..

Keep this thread going.. Let's see some gear picks and set ups.. Also if you run you kit out in the hills be it hunting or steal plinging show us your pics.. Great thread Guns762!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]
ok....   these pics are from 2011 so my stuff has evolved quite a bit over time (especially the socks lol), but i don't have recent pics.    actually now that i look at it, almost all of it has changed.  i should probably work on some new pics.  but to be fair, the contents changes depending on what i'm doing.  the stuff i take camping in TN is quite a bit different than my trip to salmon area of ID a few months ago.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#7]
Like the write up Sparks.  

Interesting idea using the separate shooting bag.  Those bug out bags from  LA Police gear might fit that perfectly.  

Hmmm.  I can't wait to see you run that on one of our hikes and see how it rides.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep put some miles on it and some interesting terrain will really test if it works the way I am hoping...
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Now this is my kinda thread!!!  Heres what i got please forgive the shitty cell phone photography

Pack is the alice radio pack with the enhanced shoulder straps and a few custom mods im not finished with. Contents are a space blanket in the flap pocket 6 pairs of socks on the outside left pocket a signal panel and cls gear in the outside middle pocket field stripped mres a spoon folding toothbrush and razor in the outside right pocket and in the main pocket i pack a set of reversable desert gortex a bandoleer of spare mags a watrproof box for batteries and such a 2qt canteen(not in pic) and in a wet weather bag a night desert parka set of long johns goretex flight gloves glove liners a ninja mask and watch cap. On the outside i have a 1qt canteen with cup and purifaction tabs and a cleaning kit on the left an etool on the right a patrol bag with bivy and travel pillow straped to the bottom and i slide my hatchet behind the middle pocket.

And when my unit drills in the field i swap out the night desert stuff for my acu goretex and fleece jacket
Please excuse my run on sentences grammer aint one of my strong points
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice kit...can I ask what hawk/ hatchet you are running?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Great stuff so far.  Really makes me rethink what I've got packed and what I should have.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woundedknee420] [#12]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
Nice kit...can I ask what hawk/ hatchet you are running?
View Quote

I dont know who makes it i stumbled across it during a bored google search its a real steel version of the call of duty black ops hatchet got it for around $50 i wanna say the website was hatchetsandaxes.com or something like that its a decent solid hatchet if you can get past the crome paint job.
Edit: followed my unintentional link and found it listed under "decorative tomahaeks" its currently out of stock
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]
good read
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:09:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#14]
Depends on what I'm doing.  You want to see what my 3-day pack looks like for...

* The overnight snow shoeing campout I just did up in the Rockies, where I didn't take a tent, slept on top of 3-4ft of snow, and hiked several miles?

* The kit I took for 3 days of hiking/camping in Finland in the summer of 2013?

* The kit I take for med coverage for Sniper Adventure Challenge in the summer out here in the West?

One thing is common:

Baby wipes
If you want lightweight, compact toilet paper, you can use the folded up MRE TP in a ziplock, but make sure to have happy endings with baby wipes.

I'll start with a few things.  The LCS-88/CPF-90 ruck I use for most of my camping trips nowadays with my Boy Scout Troop.  We had them issued in LRS, but rarely used them.  Most of us just used modified Large ALICE packs, which I'll get to later.  I emptied out a bunch of things from this when I did my own re-fit after this past weekend.  Things I took out were my Gore-tex jacket, medic bag, some food items, and my black fleece.  In this pic, the most important things it has in it are:

* Poncho
* Tarp for laying down on the snow or for making a snow cave ( I slept directly on top of the snow on the tarp and my sleeping pad, inside my Gore-tex system with both bags.)
* Gore-tex fart sack system
* Sleeping pad
* Gerber E-tool

This is what I never leave home without when going out into the boonies, camps, training events, hiking, or med support.  I made this vest myself, and some of the pouches I made from scratch, or took apart and modified to be able to carry certain items.  Everything here I have actually used in various places around the US and the world.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I can live out of my vest for a while, depending on how many Pro Bars, energy bars, and survival meals I have in it.

I'll have to get some pics of some 3-Day Packs and break down my rucksack contents later.  Here's a pic of one of my modified Large ALICE packs:

A close up of one of the pouches I designed and made, with elastic retainer inserts for a lot of the contents:

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like I'm repacking this weekend.  

Interesting to see how different they are so far.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm repacking right now and trying to delete stuff that is redundant, or extra packaging.  I've dropped the spotting scope from my large pack for now.  If i'm not packing the spotting scope, how important is having the large tripod?  I like the idea of being able to shoot off of it from a sitting position, but it's pretty bulky and heavy.  

Dump it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
depends on what you're doing.  if you're setting up the pack to  support you during your shooting excursions, then by all means, bring whatever helps you shoot.   if you're setting up the pack as some sort of BOB to help you get from point A to point B alive, then i'd compromise and use the pack itself for support, or a walking stick, or something like my .18 lb shooting sticks.   if the tripod is dual-purpose, like you throw a tarp over it and use it for shelter, then maybe you keep it
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparks556] [#19]
I only carry mine if shooting in the mountains or on steep angles.. Like hunting up in the boulders were running a bipod or anchoring yourself on a tree isn't a possibility.. I like practicing the standing off hand shot but when running or climbing then setting up for a shot in that kinda terrain it is nice to have options.. But for most excursions it stays home.. I think I have a old shot of my brother in law shooting off mine in some sub zero temps...

Haha this is a old pic when he just got into long rang.. Now his gun is a pof with a S&B and a sdn6 can... Not a bad way to spend $10,000 haha but for illistration of the pod in use here is a vintage pic of my brother law using mine with his dpms and before he got into spray painting his guns..

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Being in the same AO as Sparks and Gun's I feel their pain, the mountains are unforgiving and sometimes will decay underfoot. Also having lived out of a ruck for extended periods of time, you learn what you can live without.

I'm not big on pics, but the things that I do are, reduce all extra packing and look for multiuse items so that I can eliminate other things. Also what can you and a bud share to not carry duplicates?

On the tripod, will your pack stand up well enough to support your rifle, allowing you to dump the extra 3-4 LBS of the tripod? Will it be as stable? Absolutely not, but will not hauling the 3-4 pounds for two days save enough energy to allow you to recover faster and not need the extra support? I'm running a MR 3DAP and the frame sheet affords me this level of support for my rifle, allowing me to not always carry my tripod. An ALICE frame is also good at this. Shooting sticks are also a good option here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#21]
I decided to keep the tripod for now.  It does double duty as a support for shelter, as well as the ability to get me up above sagebrush to shoot if neded.  

I might weight it later just to see how much it's going to cost me.  It's a very lightweight tripod.

I also ended up adding wool socks.  I think that's an excellent idea.   You are only as good as your feet.  I've had cold wet feet before on hikes and hunts, and it's miserable.  An extra set seems like a perfect idea.    

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
High quality wool socks can be priceless.
I would also recommend a product called Tough Foot to help toughen the skin on your feet to prevent blisters.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#23]
Originally Posted By guns762:
I decided to keep the tripod for now.  It does double duty as a support for shelter, as well as the ability to get me up above sagebrush to shoot if neded.  

I might weight it later just to see how much it's going to cost me.  It's a very lightweight tripod.

I also ended up adding wool socks.  I think that's an excellent idea.   You are only as good as your feet.  I've had cold wet feet before on hikes and hunts, and it's miserable.  An extra set seems like a perfect idea.    

View Quote

This is just me but id carry a whole lot more than just one extra pair and change them alot foot fungus can be the most miserable thing ever especially if its more than the average athletes foot learned that the hard way in kuwait.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerHappy83] [#24]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
Guns762! I have been waiting for this topic to hit the field craft section...This will be a great topic for guys to build on so we can see kit others are rocking...This is my place holder for when the girls fall asleep so I can take some pics and post it up... So we are doing the light in and out ...red dawn.. American guerrilla  style pack and the heavy I'll be in the hills for a while sniper pack... Nice.. Let's make this a good conversation.... So basically if you had a few buddies.. No support or resupply from a group or army.. And you had to go out and do over watch for protection from others be it a occupying country or other people surviving the next natural disaster. What are you guys running and why?  I can't wait to here from the city guys because they will have a totally different load out for hides and such then us out hear in the mountains.. This will be great...  

Ok first up is what's on my vest.. It's a haley with 4 primary mags and 2 glock 17 mags.. A Glock 19 in a g-code holster.. A bg emergancy survival kit. Gloves. A fox karambit and shemagh that is colored for time of year. I think that's it. I run a hsgi battle belt with shoulder straps that keep everything solid when on the move. I keep a blow out kit in my pants cargo pocket with all the basic medical and tourniquet.. Second cargo gets mechanic gloves and whatever boonie hat fits the season.. If I am not running a semi auto sniper like my Vepr, or scar heavy Ill run styer aug mags, tavor, or ak mags in this rig.I will carry a second rifle suppressed if I run a bolt gun..

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/44683691-1D71-4773-BEA1-BAD2131DC45E_zpskch3jdi1.jpg

Ok this is a new pack I am trying out so we will see how it works this year.. I haven't had a chance to cut some cloth and camo it up yet.. Got some tan and white for the finish of winter then will remove white and add a little green for summer. I keep the pack pretty empty due to the fact our seasons are so extreme I will add or subtract clothing and such depending on time of the year. I didn't get a pick of the stuff sleeping bag in the bottom. I also usually carry a rugar .22 pistol and 500 rds... Can should clear in the next few month for this. didn't get a pic of this but is super handy for small game or if some quiet work needs to happen..
Other then that I carry a few mres and some energy bars. Extra batteries for two flash lights. Some medication ex pain killers and such, a few electrolyte packets.. A few forms of fire starter.. Some hide netting.. Duck tape 25' and snar/ trip wire string which is heavy upholstery string.. Works for many things. Also carry a sog hawk steel bottle Binos..and a shooting/ sleeping pad depending on the outing duration..
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/8D0309E9-1488-4EC7-8C33-796D1378BF26_zpsvyz2mq4x.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/5F6E0E19-A5A8-4856-93A2-DCF2CDBCF111_zpsewk7sltu.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/AFC7B7F5-FD57-4CB6-B3B3-C715E0F4E84B_zpsmzxijwuc.jpg

Ok and this is a new concept I am trying after reading more into the guerrilla sniper side of the house. I use to pack the kinda stuff that the military sniper/recon would pack but I will never be storming a city and figured the guerrilla sniper is more of the tactic I would have to use.. One or two guys operating without back up or assistance. So on that note I have been running a shoulder bag from LaRue with my rifle gear in it. This can be slung and strapped to my belt and leg.. So when I get in my hide or shooting position I can take off my pack and have this little bag with evarything I need right there. Some of you guys might laugh but so far has worked great for what I do..
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/463F2499-03BA-4EFA-B083-3E875155B198_zpsxfyblecv.jpg

Has my range finder and wind meter plus tripods, extra mags, bug and sun wipes, tape, beanbag, 550 and upholstery thread, all my shooting data and maps/ Google photos of area, and gun maintenance kit. Water and some food, zip lock bags for waste if things get crazy.. And a few other odds and ends..
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/924D0AA2-07DD-4BA0-A848-CADFF514FD8C_zpswmbhdf37.jpg

And just for fun a pic of one of my favorite rifles.. A Vepr 308.. It's maybe not the most precision but 1.5 moa makes me happy and anything 800 and in I can get without much effort and out to 1200 I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.. I have also ran the dsa spr.. Scar heavy.. Ptr 91.. M1a mod 1.. A few 700s..psl.. Mk12 and am saving my coins for a 82a1 and desert tech 300 win.. Some day all are fantastic weapons..
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/52A55A79-933D-49AA-B17A-6C07C1717E15_zpsd8xhpr5v.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/D959A512-E4E1-4E38-A7FE-9EA4BB05643D-5025-000007D191955884_zpsff5c33fb.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/GEDC0188_zpsaa991862.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/GEDC0204_zpsa90ec62a.jpg

Keep this thread going.. Let's see some gear picks and set ups.. Also if you run you kit out in the hills be it hunting or steal plinging show us your pics.. Great thread Guns762!

View Quote

I've been doing the same as you with a LaRue shoulder bag for several years now. It works pretty well, especially since you can turn the bag on its side when in the prone position, open the flap, and have access to all of the contents while using it as a rest, and also have access to everything while wearing it, unlike a traditional pack. I usually use it when shooting on my own property, or for day/overnight excursions in the woods when packing light.
Typical contents would be:
Primary mags if running an my recce style AR, or boxed ammo for a bolt gun
Stainless bottle with nesting cup
Small cleaning and repair kit
Beanbag
Laser rangefinder
First aid kit
Ear plugs and eye pro
Rite in the Rain tablet and pen, dope cards
Mechanix gloves
Probably a few odds and ends I'm forgetting
7" Android tablet with Strelock ballistics software

If staying over in the woods I will throw in:
Firesteel and fatwood, waxed jute twine
Easily prepared food of some sort, and a packet of instant coffee or tea bags
Insect repellant
A bit of paracord
Shemagh that I got as a freebie. Quite useful, actually.

If staying overnight, I will cinch up the bivy and green bag from my MSS with some paracord, and sling it up separately.
Of course there's always a knife, flashlight, etc. in my pockets as well. Cold weather, I use a regular pack, as I carry more stuff.

I'd snap some pics, but it's currently unpacked, pending arrival of a Kodiak Gearslinger tomorrow. The Kodiak will probably be more comfortable and versatile in this role. We'll see.
I will get some pics after it arrives and is packed up.
If it works well, the LaRue may go in the EE if I can stand to part with it.

I'd be interested to see what all you pack in your shoulder bag. I haven't seen anyone else use one in a precision rifle support/bushcraft gear role until now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Id invest in a topical map of the AO you are currently in /  or planning to "bug out to"and a compass.   It will help you plan safe routes, locate a safe location to hunker down, and keep you from getting lost. If your going the excursion/ hunting route this will aid in all of the above with the addition of helping locate ambush locations for your game.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:48:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparks556] [#28]
Yeah I have made the mistake of loading a ton of kit to my legs and belt and after a ten mile hike strait up the mountain I thought my lower half was going to fall off haha.. Plus the m14 ebr I was hauling felt like a tank.. I puked twice on that hike haha but learned alot.. Defenatly rock some nice load bearing suspenders if you are rocking gear on the lower half. . And a heavy gun is a bad idea..oh how I love the scar heavy... Sexy and light...

Well today is 2 deg out and sunny so figured I would go test some gear...I'll post up the pics for you all when I get back...

ReconB4 can you show us some pics of what you run out hunting or on trips to the hills.. Thanks man.. I was going to put on my daughters Dora backpack as a joke today for you to make you laugh but she got all mad when I tried to leave the house so the funny pics didn't happen..

guns762.... We missed you today buddy! Hope fire school was fun... And yes to all... That is a tactical Mohawk.... Shooting threw the brush..I Have my man bag between my legs using it to help lock my body up... Worked amazing..had all my gear ready to go right in my lap.. It was a good shooting position and pretty comfy..

Fugi running some rounds.. Some day I will talk him into spray painting his 10,000 bucks..haha

And me rocking my tacticool purse...I mean..  not sniper sniper man bag.. Haha it was a good day..

Keep the good post coming guys... What is everyone packing... Gear tips and tricks.. Maybe some hides you all have set up... Anything..
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#29]
I'm jealous.  I didn't have any where near that kind of fun.

I learned that the field craft of deploying an emergency fire shelter is something I'd like to never,  EVER, have to deploy for real.  Fuck that shit.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah making yourself a human popcorn bag is never a good day...we need some pics of some rock chuck sniper action this summer..
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#31]
awesome terrain!  thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I see the AK up front.  How did you carry the SCAR H?  On your back?  Did you just pack the AK?  

How'd it ride with all that gear?  Normal 4 miles today or less?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:13:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparks556] [#33]
It was my Vepr 308 and I had it strapped to my pack barrel up..then ran the ak for my primary and my glock 19 on the haley vest... The hole set up was a little heavy but carries well.. I'll take a pic for everyone to see.. Also was the normal 4 miles..
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Just showing some of the different load-bearing, camouflage, and concealment options for different things in my course this past weekend, to include above-surface hide sites and enemy uniforms.

If you're talking about reconnaissance, a lot of the missions I have been on have been anywhere from 3-8 days average.

What you would pack for a stay-behind in an urban environment would be quite different than what you would pack for an extended patrol in the desert or the green.

Winter vs. summer will change a lot of things.

Common items were usually:

Radios always, several layers of radio systems covering FM, HF, VHF, SATCOM, TM Internal, and Automatic Link-Up Electronics
Hand and throat mics for radios, to include spares
Antennae
Laser Range Finder
Binos
Spotting Scope w/small tripod
Cameras
Burst transmission and data links
Log Book with reporting formats, patrol log
Food
Water
Water purification systems
Tools specific for the appropriate hide for the AOR.  In the green and desert, that might mean a break-down larger shovel. In urban, it could mean a drill with screw hooks, pry bars, and other breacher's tools.
Camouflage systems for the AOR
Demo/Claymores for controlling specific avenues of approach to a hide
Hide site materials
Ghillie suits or capes or blankets, mission-dependent
Yeti nets
Sections of tent poles
Cold weather gear

The ruck starts to get heavy for reconnaissance elements.  Maybe my idea of a "recon pack" is different than what is being discussed or attempted.

What we carried on our vests and in our uniforms were very different than a lot of units as well.  SERE items are carried on-person, and vests have different loads geared more to Reconnaissance.  We were left off leash, far from logistics chains most of the time, even in Battalion-level Reconnaissance units.  Corps-level and CJSOTF-level is another story altogether, with a lot more support, and a bigger picture priority target list driven from higher echelons.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Just showing some of the different load-bearing, camouflage, and concealment options for different things in my course this past weekend, to include above-surface hide sites and enemy uniforms.

If you're talking about reconnaissance, a lot of the missions I have been on have been anywhere from 3-8 days average.

What you would pack for a stay-behind in an urban environment would be quite different than what you would pack for an extended patrol in the desert or the green.

Winter vs. summer will change a lot of things.

Common items were usually:

Radios always, several layers of radio systems covering FM, HF, VHF, SATCOM, TM Internal, and Automatic Link-Up Electronics
Hand and throat mics for radios, to include spares
Antennae
Laser Range Finder
Binos
Spotting Scope w/small tripod
Cameras
Burst transmission and data links
Log Book with reporting formats, patrol log
Food
Water
Water purification systems
Tools specific for the appropriate hide for the AOR.  In the green and desert, that might mean a break-down larger shovel. In urban, it could mean a drill with screw hooks, pry bars, and other breacher's tools.
Camouflage systems for the AOR
Demo/Claymores for controlling specific avenues of approach to a hide
Hide site materials
Ghillie suits or capes or blankets, mission-dependent
Yeti nets
Sections of tent poles
Cold weather gear

The ruck starts to get heavy for reconnaissance elements.  Maybe my idea of a "recon pack" is different than what is being discussed or attempted.

What we carried on our vests and in our uniforms were very different than a lot of units as well.  SERE items are carried on-person, and vests have different loads geared more to Reconnaissance.  We were left off leash, far from logistics chains most of the time, even in Battalion-level Reconnaissance units.  Corps-level and CJSOTF-level is another story altogether, with a lot more support, and a bigger picture priority target list driven from higher echelons.
View Quote

Great info thank you... I never considered tent poles but that is a excellent idea...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:24:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#39]
Nice looking pack.  My mosquito head net ended up with my spotting scope(it was wrapped around it)....I think I'll round that back up and get it back in the pack.  

This thread is going to end up costing me money....who's idea was this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:27:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#40]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:28:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: benb] [#42]
Originally Posted By ReconB4:
Here's a couple of things I'd carry. Well, the Strider knife I always carry. The RMJ tomahawk is a sometimes thing. The knife I was given by someone I met while I was on my first deployment to Iraq in 2003. The tomahawk was a gift as well, but at a much later date. Other than this the only other piece of mandatory gear is a strobe. Everyone's seen those and I didn't want to dig it out of my PC.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/lifeguardhall/3D851561-50A7-48BF-AFC9-DE56F8A3F760_zpsnnqahfat.jpg
View Quote

Is this you?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Reconb4.... I am a huge fan of running a hawk... I have warn out two sogs which are amazing tools in the back country... I was trying to figure out what hawk you had in your pic it looks like a nice piece of kit... Is it a factory hawk or a custom built?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Oh and strait up I know everyone always post that pic of the Russians doing a flip and throwing the hawk trying to get a laugh... But deep down inside we know that that is pretty bad ass... Practical no... But bad ass none the less... Not saying I have tried it on my kids tramp....but just saying getting it to stick is way harder then the pic looks...just saying...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ReconB4:
No but lets be careful in the tech forums guys. I know you're kidding.
View Quote

Understood.

Not exactly a recon pack, but I am hiking for about 3 days on the Pacific Crest Trail in a few weeks. This is what I will be taking:
Packed:
" />

Unpacked:

Contents (Clockwise from top left):
-USMC Bivy (highly recommend) with 20deg down bag inside
-LBT Extended Day Ruck (Garmin Foretrex on Shoulder)
-Camp Tools & Bug net
-3L of Water
-Poncho (use as a ground pad and a place for my dog to sleep)
-Bag contains food and mess kit
-Jet Boil
-Sawyer Water Purification
-Head Lamp in hard case
-Air Matress

With water this is currently 22lbs, but I still need to add a change of clothes and a hygiene kit. I'll carry a map, compass, first aid kit and survival kit in some cargo pants.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I actually tested it to 15. Inside the bivy with a ground pad and dressed in polar fleece I was actually pretty warm. That was when it was new. I don't think it works quite as we'll anymore.

I also winter camped with it once and woke up covered in snow. It was a little scary (my breath kept snow from covering near my face). The snow kept the wind off and it was comfortable temperature wise. Next time I do any winter camping involving snow I think I would opt for a 4 seasons tent.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JeredMD] [#50]
When I get home Ill have to bust out my coues deer hunting set up. Me and my buddies go back about 5+ miles into wilderness for about 3-4 days when we hunt coues deer. Its not easy hiking either. Its AZ, so mountains and canyons.

I run an eberlstock (can't remember the model)

But here is a list off the top of my head:

Remington 700 308 SPS Varmint (But this can be switched out with my suppressed SBR or w/e other firearm.
Small breakdown cleaning kit
water (hydration bladder, and a couple canteens usually. Sometimes have had to make trips out to get more water)
food
G19 with my personal defense appendix holster. I wear it for work, so hiking with it has become normal for me.
ammo (usually carried on the gun)
sleeping bag w/ small pillow (I love pillows, no fucks to be given about making space for one... I love pillows )
Vortex Kaibab 15x56 (carried around my neck for use while hiking or might be on my tripod and becomes a walking stick)
Manfrotto 190xB tripod with Manfrotto 128 head (mounts outside the pack or becomes a walking stick or shooting rest if need be. Most my long shots have been prone position)
knives (3 knives usually)
Garmin Oregon GPS
maps
sometimes small laptop to check camera cards if we have some set up
extra cloths (underwear, pancho, socks)
IFAK
Tarp (can be used for tent or whatever needed)

Pack gets kinda heavy as you can see, and with a Remington 700 SPS bull barrel..... It's heavy as fuck!  But I love hunting so much, I workout for it.

Here is a pic of the pack for now with the first shed of the yr that my gf and I found  Shed season is at full swing right now. I put my SBR on m back cause I was going through thick shit and was tired of carrying the gun and looking around for sheds. The suppressor is inside the pack.

My tripod and bino's are set for hunting. Most my hunting is done from glassing and doing a stalk. They're not just a walking stick, I wanted to make sure that was clear That would be a really expensive walking stick, ha.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top