Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 8:48:52 AM EDT
First, I'm no long range expert by any means but I wanted to put together a "1000 yard rifle". (For no other reason than, why not?) I have a Remington LR 300WM with HS stock. I put on a badger base and timney trigger, keeping the price very reasonable so far.

I'm considering:

Leupold VX3l

Ignorant question: Is a 40mm objective to small for this distance?

Or

Leupold 8.5x25x50

I don't want to spend much more than this.  Advice please....
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 12 year old 8.5X25 model and it is a very good scope considering its generation.  Out of your two choices, that's what I'd get.   My advice would be to pay for a custom reticle and get the TMR reticle in it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have that same 8.5-25 VX3i  that I use on my "Any" rifle for NRA Long Range and Mid Range prone matches, mainly 600 and 1000 yards.  It's a great scope.  The adjustments are repeatable, and it holds zero extremely well.  It gets taken on and off and swapped with iron sights all the time, and it is always right where it should be when I put it back on.  The CDS dial wasn't a factor in my purchase, but I sent the coupon in with my load data anyways since it was free.  The CDS dial showed up in about a week and the numbers have been right on for summer weather shooting in the areas where I shoot matches.  I shot a 200-16x with it in 5.5 minutes in the very first match I ever used it in. When funds allow, I will buy another one for my smallbore rifle.  Check B&H Photo and video, I got mine for $750 delivered with the fine duplex reticle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
40mm has nothing to do with how far away you want to shoot. It has to do with your max magnification. You want larger objectives for higher zoom or night time shooting
Just be sure your scope can handle the recoil of 300wm. Id try to go with a votex pst or razor for that kind of recoil. Im currently saving for a razor hd gen 2 4.5-27
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You may want to check out the Burris XTR II line of scopes. I think the glass is a tad bit better than the vortex except there 1000 dollar plus scopes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Away2] [#5]
Thanks for the info, I didn't really think about recoil. Just figured Leupold would  have no issues.  I'll contact Leupold....thx again  The XTR'S looked nice
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The range of internal adjustment available to you and the clarity of the optics are both much more important than objective size and/or magnification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top