Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 9:07:21 PM EDT
Okay I have put together a .223 Wylde which I'm aware is not for extreme long ranges, I plan on learning basics with this rifle and then build a 6.5 Creedmore or more capable rifle. However when researching about range finders I've read that people don't really use them for long range hunting, this could have been faultt info but what do you guys use to find the range of your target in an unkown target distance, or hunting scenario?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Lieca or Swarovski

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#2]
Chevrolet or Nike. I get closer.

Long range hunting should come after significant (and I mean really significant) success at long range target shooting in general. The animal you harvest deserves to be killed humanely.

Apart from that, outside of some pretty uncommon sorts of hunting, long range shots just are really not common. In my experience, they're about |   | that close to being pure fantasy. Most people will not see a deer or even an elk or bear that far away. You're vastly more likely to run into it within 200ish yards (likely a LOT closer) which is well inside the holding-on-hair range of most bottleneck high power rifle chamberings.  If you use a range finder on a deer you'll probably not get a shot at it so if you're going to use one at all it should be to range bits of the landscape so you have reference points when the deer comes out and don't have to fiddle with gizmos before taking the shot.

EDIT: Many will disagree with me but that's 30 years of hunting experience in more states than I have fingers.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Lecia 1600B. If you don't know the range involved you're going to fail at shooting anything at range (over 500 yards probably less).
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a vectronix, very expensive but really has no peer outside of the military.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:49:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
I have a Newcon2200 si. I reliably ranged my 100% IPSC plate to 1800 yards. Reflective targets like signs to 2400 yards(confirmed with GPS and Google maps)

The only animal I could confirm was a horse at 713yds.
I don't hunt so I am not interested in how far I can range an animal otherwise I would put in more effort testing it on animals at distances.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_5/2685_Newcon_2200SI_LASER_Range_Finder_video_.html
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
SIG Kilo.  People are selling off their Leicas and other $700-$2000 LRFs before everyone finds out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
SIG Kilo.  People are selling off their Leicas and other $700-$2000 LRFs before everyone finds out.
View Quote

Are we talking about the Sig Kilo 2000? Looking at the wholesalers there are a few cheaper models but do we get the same range finding engine or do we need to purchase the 2000 to get the full benefit?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FROST18E:

I have a vectronix, very expensive but really has no peer outside of the military.
View Quote

When I was first shopping for LRF, I had it limit down to the Swarovski EL and Leica, then later I got to demo them and I wasn't able to laze anything past 800 yards
Luckily at that time I saw a group buy for Vextronix and picked up the PLRF05 and Manfrotto tripod. I haven't looked back since.  I can range 1500+ meters easily (and I'm sure I could laze 2x further and more).  Also, I am very happy with Vectronix when using with PVS-14 stacked behind it.

I'm probably going to upgrade to the PLRF25C and dream of the Vector 23.  But like Frost18e said, very expensive.  Buy once, cry once...is the justification i tell myself.

Or if you want to range some serious distance and drop some serious coin, check out the Newcon LRB 20000C (that's 20,000m!) or Newcon LRB12K, but these get into mapping, triangulating blind distance with GPS, and communicating with external GPS systems and ballistic computers.  It is way overkill for ranging the next Elk/pig/deer shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top