Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2017 5:41:25 PM EDT
I have reloading about 200 rounds so far and I am getting excellent results out of my PSA 20 in 1 in 7 twist AR. I am already thinking about upgrading my Barrel but I found a 18in 223 Wylde stainless steel barrel at PSA for 329 I believe complete upper would I get very much better results from that then I would get from my 20 in 1 n 7twist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ldw263:
I have reloading about 200 rounds so far and I am getting excellent results out of my PSA 20 in 1 in 7 twist AR. I am already thinking about upgrading my Barrel but I found a 18in 223 Wylde stainless steel barrel at PSA for 329 I believe complete upper would I get very much better results from that then I would get from my 20 in 1 n 7twist.
View Quote

Way to many variables to tell, but you should re-work the load for the new barrel for best results and for safety.  Whether or not the new barrel is more capable of shooting smaller groups is not really a reloading question.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
No way to know, might shoot better, might shoot worse.  You'd have to work a load up for it and figure it out.  There is no reloading magic to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#3]
Do this experiment
Get some Nosler or Sierra 69gr OTM
Get some Varget
Get some REM 7.5 primers
Get lot of brass of the same headstamp # of firings
Load up 5 each of 24.7gr 25.0gr 25.3gr (no worries according to Hodgdon online 26gr is max) NO CRIMP
Seat at magazine length

If those charges do not produce 0.5MOA @ 100yds it is either you or the bbl

Make sure your optics are mounted solid

If you buy a new barrel get a new bolt to go with it.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know what your current "excellent results" are . . . don't know what you would consider "much better results" . . . but perhaps most important is I don't see anything in the description of that upper to indicate it would perform any better than any other PSA barrel would.

The major claim for that upper is "light weight" with a weight 4.5lbs. Unable to verify that's even a benefit because PSA cleverly doesn't indicate the weight of their "non-lightweight" uppers. Putting that aside, all that upper is likely to do is make your AR easier to carry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the response I'm going to do just what you suggested up there with the Varget and I think I've already got some of the Sierra matchking bullets thanks very much I'll try them out and let you know how they do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Barrel quality is more of a factor than barrel length. The cheapest barrels I ever buy for accuracy rigs start around $300. WOA has a lot of my money.

I own 16" barrels that are hammers with match grade ammo, they are approximately 250 fps slower than my 20" models so it limits their maximum range. How often do you shoot past 600 yards?

I have Colt barrels that will shoot 52/53 grain match bullets under an inch at 100 yards. It's the ammo that brings out the best in any barrel. 3" to 4" groups is what I normally see when shooting m193 or similar ball ammo.

If you want better accuracy stick with match grade bullets. They make virtually any barrel shine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top