Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, just tried again and damn if it didn't connect.  Did it twice and it worked both times.  Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right..  Lol!

One thing I didn't find.  Is there a way to change settings in the app, such as projectile weight, velocity range, etc.?

The app looks pretty cool.  Can't wait to try it out next time I head out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:12:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:

One thing I didn't find.  Is there a way to change settings in the app, such as projectile weight, velocity range, etc.?
View Quote
Drag from the left or tap the Labradar symbol to get to the settings screen.

To start a new string tap the + symbol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  Found the settings menu.  Connected 3 times in a row now..  Not that it was hard but this app will make using the Labradar much easier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
New App is awesome.  Love it.  Connected easily.  Menu works fine and is mostly (well... mostly) intuitive.  It even shows graphical displays of results.  I really am loving it.

Only request for a future update would be to be able to name the firing strings, rather than have them just be numbered sequentially.  A fairly minor item, it's fine if they never change that.  Being able to start new strings, adjust, the settings, and arm the LabRadar remotely, is a huge improvement - and I think the App is great!

...  I suppose a second request might be to auto-log local weather parameters, since it's asking for location services now anyway.  So you can track if it's 100 degrees in that data, or 32.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
I will be happy if it works like it should. No crashing, no losing the device, no shutting off the Labradar.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I used a LabRadar in New Mexico last month.  Here's my analysis of the cost -

The "break even" is 1000 to 1500 premium bullets shot across the instrument.  Just a few hundred if your time is worth anything.  Or, if the distance to the range is far enough that it's impossible to run out in a couple of minutes, shoot, find out the optical chronograph won't measure, drive home, then go back on a different day at mid day.

The set up time, let alone lack of hassle and versatility, is simply too good to pass up.  I'm planning to buy one and will probably sell my Chrony Beta Master.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Originally Posted By Reorx:
popnfresh;

Thanx for the side by side comparison.  I have a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master.  Had her out today.  I live in Florida.  Temp was ~95 with 1,000,000% humidity.  I thought I would melt like the Wicked Witch of the West...  I'm just getting into distance shooting and am currently working on laying the ground work...  Chrony work outs included...  I was at a proper range complete with multiple range officers and multiple shooters...  Chrony set up and take down was a ROYAL PITA today.  LabRadar looks tempting.  I'm trying to wrap my head around that price for a chronograph...  It's a slow process...
Yeah, it is a bit spendy, I performed some mental gymnastics and funny math to rationalize the purchase. Convinced myself I couldn't afford not to buy it. 

The Shooting Chrony will work, it will get you to the target. I went to the Magnetospeed because I got sick of setting up the Shooting Chrony. 

I got the Labradar to save time and ammo when I am actually shooting long range. Time and ammo spent getting velocity data and zero data for several loads will be cut in half or more with the Labradar vs. Magnetospeed.
I used a LabRadar in New Mexico last month.  Here's my analysis of the cost -

The "break even" is 1000 to 1500 premium bullets shot across the instrument.  Just a few hundred if your time is worth anything.  Or, if the distance to the range is far enough that it's impossible to run out in a couple of minutes, shoot, find out the optical chronograph won't measure, drive home, then go back on a different day at mid day.

The set up time, let alone lack of hassle and versatility, is simply too good to pass up.  I'm planning to buy one and will probably sell my Chrony Beta Master.
I'm going to sell my Oehler.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Today with the new firmware (1.2.1 ), I had connection errors right off the bat, I hadn't had these before. Worked fine at home of course, get to the range and errors.

After turning everything off then retrying it connected.

Worked good accept for one time it shut the Labradar off in the middle of a string.  Powered back up, connected and it worked fine.

No idea how the thing is killing the power. It has never happened before using the Labradar by itself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Odd.  Mine would not connect with 1.2.0 but has been connecting reliably with 1.2.1.  In fact, getting ready to take it out again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Today with the new firmware (1.2.1 ), I had connection errors right off the bat, I hadn't had these before. Worked fine at home of course, get to the range and errors.

After turning everything off then retrying it connected.

Worked good accept for one time it shut the Labradar off in the middle of a string.  Powered back up, connected and it worked fine.

No idea how the thing is killing the power. It has never happened before using the Labradar by itself.
View Quote
Try a different SD card.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 2:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buoux] [#10]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Try a different SD card.  
View Quote
Yep! This is what worked for me. I am using Ver. 1.2.2 and it seems to be fine....... except for the fact that the app is reading in meters per second and the display is set for FPS......

I'll figure it out.

ETA From Labradar:

Hi,
To access the settings just swipe from the left-to the right of your screen (or press the labradar logo on the top left corner) it will display the settings section. You will be able to switch the settings.
I hope you will enjoy your new app!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:24:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#11]
Originally Posted By buoux:

Hi,
To access the settings just swipe from the left-to the right of your screen (or press the labradar logo on the top left corner) it will display the settings section. You will be able to switch the settings.
I hope you will enjoy your new app!
View Quote
Yes I have posted that at least two times in this thread once in the OP lol.

Another firmware update, ha!  Have to give it a try.  As fast as the updates are coming I guess they did zero testing prior to release.
Don't care as long as it works.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It sounds like their app coders and their firmware coders should have “had a conversation” before the apps went live.  Or should have communicated a LOT better if they did.

The way iOS and Android apps work, the same core code can be used for both (most of the time), so the iOS delay was probably just working through Apple’s vetting processes.  Of course Apple makes no claims about usability, so there you go.  

I think Labradar has been trying to push a lot of sales with this app thing.  I hope they get it sorted out so folks can really start using those apps.  Working out the kinks is an “early adopter” chore, but usually the developers listen to those early adopters and thus they have a greater say in how the final product works and looks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone tried shutting off the phone sleep function so it stays on?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:46:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#14]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Has anyone tried shutting off the phone sleep function so it stays on?
View Quote
Yes, that was the first thing I tried. Have had it that way since the start, doesn't seem to make a difference.....as of v1.2.1.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Eh... OK, the new app is still a bit buggy.  Had my LabRadar and/or it just randomly reset a couple times.  And if it's still in ARM mode, after the reset, you have to push the buttons to bring it out of being armed, for it to reconnect.

That said, the App still worked pretty decent, and is a big improvement vs not having it!
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I used it for about 3 hours today and it worked pretty good(1.2.2  fw update, nothing else different).

Connected right away, worked fine, started stopped, changed settings four or five times worked as it should.

I was shooting my Glock 42, emptied a mag, walked away to grab ammo came back and found the app screen said "select device" or some such.

I have seen this before and if I recall it has only happened when "armed". So I disarm, reconnect and it worked fine.

If that is the worst thing to happen, considering it's a wireless connection, I would be satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had my eye on Labradar since it came out but so far I've stuck with my version 2 of the Magnetospeed.   I'm hoping that someday soon a version 2 of the Labradar will appear.   Am I dreaming?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 7:

I've had my eye on Labradar since it came out but so far I've stuck with my version 2 of the Magnetospeed.   I'm hoping that someday soon a version 2 of the Labradar will appear.   Am I dreaming?
View Quote
I spoke with LabRadar the other day and asked that very question.
No 2nd gen models in the works.  Not a likely occurrence for the next few/several years, I'd guess.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:36:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#19]
The current one works great, there is nothing that needs addressing. I don't see the point in waiting for a second generation.

It took them a couple years to get an app out imagine the time to get a new unit out. The Sun will have consumed the Earth by that time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#20]
The current one works great, there is nothing that needs addressing. I don't see the point in waiting for a second generation.

It took them a couple years to get an app out imagine the time to get a new unit out. The Sun will have consumed the Earth by that time.
View Quote
Yeah, I was thinking of like buying a car.  Never buy the first year model and I was also thinking of the refresh cycle of lets say an iPhone.  New models every year.  Yeah, there is no way this small company can have the manpower to roll out a new model yearly or every other year but I was just... as I said.... hoping.  Wish it was 1/2 the size too.  lol.

Guess I'll keep and eye out for a killer deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Question for the LabRadar users. I used mine yesterday for the first time with a pistol. 38 Special w 6 " barrel. I wanted to check some new hand-loads. I found I had to turn the sensitivity to max (#1) to get it to trigger. The distributor said that was normal and #1 should be used for everything unless other guns trigger it randomly. FWIW with a rifle I never had a problem

If that's the case why have 8-9 level settings???

If you have used the LabRadar with a pistol I would like to know what setting you used.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I use the lowest setting for everything. They only time it gets triggered by another gun is if someone is 4-6 feet next to me with a muzzle break.

I don’t know how it works indoors, I only shoot outside.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#23]
If using the external mic I need to turn it down from the most sensitive setting in order to avoid the wind giving a false trigger.

Only reason I ever mess with the sensitivity, unless I'm at a public range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks all. makes me feel better. I thought it might have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I put mine on "1" the first time out, haven't touch it since.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been running on #2 for whatever reason and having no problems with rifles. Oh well....
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone else notice their Labrador slowing down?  At times mine is very slow booting, changing screens, registering a shot, etc.

Today I noticed a firmware update on the website (1.2.3).  Installed and hopefully will fix the problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#28]
No I haven't seen a slow down, though last time out I had a ton of lost connections with the app.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I had that yesterday as well.  Hopefully the new firmware will fix some of these irritations.

Still love this thing though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Still love this thing though.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#31]
The app is garbage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:
The app is garbage.
View Quote
I don't really think so.  It looses connection a lot, but is that the App, the phone BlueTooth, or the LabRadar rig itself?  Also, loosing connection doesn't actually matter, since the LabRadar will keep running and retaining the data, and reconnecting is pretty easy.  It's an annoyance, but only a mild one.  I used to pull out the SD card and plug into the computer to get all the data - when I get home.  I'm starting to just skip all that, and turn it back on when at home, and get the data straight through my phone now - when all I want is avg velocity and SD for each session.

I personally think the App is a Godsend; the built-in interface of the LabRadar itself is horrible.  I find it far easier to adjust weights, start the next series, alter sensativity or detection method, etc via the APP, then on the device.

I also have to say, the LabRadar performance tends to be really dependent on the SD card.  It's way the Hell too sensitive about SD cards, and most problems with the LabRadar speed and such tend to go away if you just remove the SD card.  You don't really need the card, if all you're trying to do is get the muzzle velocity anyway.   Why it's so hard to read a modern high-capacity SD card in the LabRadar, is one of those mysteries that is beyond me.  Find the oldest and smallest SD card you can lay your hands on, format it as FAT32, and try it.  Bonus points if it's less than 2GB.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I also have to say, the LabRadar performance tends to be really dependent on the SD card.  It's way the Hell too sensitive about SD cards, and most problems with the LabRadar speed and such tend to go away if you just remove the SD card.  You don't really need the card, if all you're trying to do is get the muzzle velocity anyway.   Why it's so hard to read a modern high-capacity SD card in the LabRadar, is one of those mysteries that is beyond me.  Find the oldest and smallest SD card you can lay your hands on, format it as FAT32, and try it.  Bonus points if it's less than 2GB.
View Quote
Hmm, interesting about the SD card possibly being the cause of my slowdowns.  Makes sense though.  Found an old 4GB card in one of my old cameras.  I'll format that and try it next time out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#34]
It's been awhile since I bought mine, but I seem to recall some specific specs listed for the SD card if you were going to use one. I bought what they recommended and never had any issues, but have since found there's really no need for it at all.

The app, far from perfect but a huge improvement on using the interface on the unit itself. One thing I found that helps with the disconnecting problem is turning off the screen time out. My phone locks when the screen times out, so I just set the screen to stay on unless I manually turn it off when I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:04:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#35]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
. One thing I found that helps with the disconnecting problem is turning off the screen time out. My phone locks when the screen times out, so I just set the screen to stay on unless I manually turn it off when I'm at the range.
View Quote
That is the way I have had it since day one. The screen never sleeps and I have plenty of connection problems.

I have a second identical fresh phone that hasn't been used, I should try it. Maybe there is trouble with all the other crap on my daily phone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I don’t think it’s your phone. I believe it’s the labradar. I have zero issues with any other Bluetooth item on my phone.

I love the unit. The connection issues with the app drive me crazy. I with they had a way to make it a corded connection to connect directly to your phone. Then you could have the app inteface without the connectivity issues.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Hmm, interesting about the SD card possibly being the cause of my slowdowns.  Makes sense though.  Found an old 4GB card in one of my old cameras.  I'll format that and try it next time out.
View Quote
Quick update.  I had my Labradar out a couple of days ago.  The old SD card seems to have cured my slowdown problem.  It ran great.  I had no connection issues with the app either.

I was shooting a .223.  Only problem I had was failure to track a couple of shots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm waiting for these to go on Black Friday sale> I'm hating my Caldwell blowing over from the wind.

Added UV lights and cover the skyscreens with a piece of cardboard and heavy black garbage bag in order to shoot with the sun positioned low in the sky. Works ok but turns the unit into a sail. Even weighing the unit down with a bungee cord to the center of the tripod didn't help much.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#39]
These are on sale for $499
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:37:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#40]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
These are on sale for $499
View Quote
Last year they(Brownells) had them on sale for $499, around the same time a 10% off orders over $100 code was offered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Last year they(Brownells) had them on sale for $499, around the same time a 10% off orders over $100 code was offered.
View Quote
Hopefully they do the same this year...
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Just picked one up on sale plus the 10% off from Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:18:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#43]
Just placed my order too...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Buddy picked one up as well.

Brownells: FN3 10% off $300+ and free shipping
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I FO'd

On Sale @ $499.99 w/free shipping
-10% Brownells code
-4% Active Junky
-$10.00 first time user

$422 with active junky.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's a thread I just started on usage notes with the LabRadar.  Put it in the wrong reloading forum though, and it got locked in like an hour for organizational purposes .

LabRadar-Some-updated-2018-usage-tip-goodness-for-you-latest-Happy-Holidays-owners
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone else having problems getting the two most recent firmware updates to unzip on a Mac?

I can download them but they will not unzip and they can't be copied to the sd card.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry I don't own a Mac.  But I thought you would only use the most recent version?  Why load 2 versions?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
Sorry I don't own a Mac.  But I thought you would only use the most recent version?  Why load 2 versions?
View Quote
I read that as meaning ppknut had problems with each of the last two updates, not that he's trying to keep two different updates on hand.

Though the way some software updates work, I wouldn't be surprised if "update 3" had to be installed for "update 4" to work...

ppknut, I don't have a Labradar, but I'm posting from a Mac.  I downloaded firmware 1.2.4 and it unzipped just fine for me.  I'm using OS X 10.4.1, but unzipping stuff hasn't been an issue for me with OS X ever...
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I'm only trying to install the latest firmware.  I'm not trying to keep more than one.  The firmware update consists of 2 files (fwA.bin & fwB.bin)

I'm using OS X 10.11.6

I can download the updates fine.  They just won't unzip.  When I double click on the zip/compressed file, it generates another compressed file with a .cpgz extension.  These files simply continue to generate more files with the .cpgz extension.  It's like a continuous loop of unusable files.  I also cannot simply copy the two zip files to the sd card.  I get a circle with a cross bar across the file basically saying "you can't do that!"
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top