Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018049293

That is the FL die that I use. Can I do what you're saying just with that?

This is starting to hurt my brain.
View Quote

Yes..,.,if you can grind the top of your shell holder a bit so the case can get pushed up into your die a bit deeper...You can try a different shell holder but you need one that allows the case to get pushed deeper up into the die so it moves the wall back..its not much .003-.005" it sounds like...I have a thread in this reloading forum that shows using all the parts and pieces we have been talking about if you want to go look thru it..might better help you see exactly whats happening...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/My-long-range-reloading-process-/10-8957/
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Yes..,.,if you can grind the top of your shell holder a bit so the case can get pushed up into your die a bit deeper...You can try a different shell holder but you need one that allows the case to get pushed deeper up into the die so it moves the wall back..its not much .003-.005" it sounds like...I have a thread in this reloading forum that shows using all the parts and pieces we have been talking about if you want to go look thru it..might better help you see exactly whats happening...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/My-long-range-reloading-process-/10-8957/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018049293

That is the FL die that I use. Can I do what you're saying just with that?

This is starting to hurt my brain.

Came here to post this. The shell holder can make or break the sizing.

I have a 416 Barrett that I can only size with one specific shellholder that's shorter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys.

I read all posts, and I decided (for my own sanity) to take a video and a few pictures of what i am experiencing.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#5]
OP, what does the extractor in the end of the bolt look like? I took these pics out of one of your videos, As the bolt goes forward, the case looks like its inside the bolt as it should be, but the further in it goes the more it jumps out of the bolt face and looks like it cocks so much it binds the case in the chamber...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also, have you tried different magazines? same results with everyone?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, what does the extractor in the end of the bolt look like? I took these pics out of one of your videos, As the bolt goes forward, the case looks like its inside the bolt as it should be, but the further in it goes the more it jumps out of the bolt face and looks like it cocks so much it binds the case in the chamber...

View Quote

I will take a picture tomorrow and post it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Can you also post a pic of the magazine with at least 2 or 3 cases stacked in it..curious if the feed lips aren't aligned right and its got the bullet shifted to one side or the other...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Can you also post a pic of the magazine with at least 2 or 3 cases stacked in it..curious if the feed lips aren't aligned right and its got the bullet shifted to one side or the other...
View All Quotes

The magazine is internal, not a detachable. I dont use it.

I can still put them in it though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]

The magazine is internal, not a detachable. I dont use it.

I can still put them in it though.
View Quote

AH, makes sense...Watching the videos at .25 speed, it sure looks like the case pops out of the bolt face as it goes into the chamber...That why  I wonder if its the extractor, long AOL loads function but a short AOL loads get bound up...the extra length of the longer loads stops the case from being able to twist far enough to get bound up...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]

AH, makes sense...Watching the videos at .25 speed, it sure looks like the case pops out of the bolt face as it goes into the chamber...That why  I wonder if its the extractor, long AOL loads function but a short AOL loads get bound up...the extra length of the longer loads stops the case from being able to twist far enough to get bound up...
View Quote

The 700 isn’t a controlled feed. The bolt doesn’t get full control of the round till you close the bolt and the extractor clip goes over the case rim.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

The 700 isn’t a controlled feed. The bolt doesn’t get full control of the round till you close the bolt and the extractor clip goes over the case rim.
View Quote

Yes, I understand that...but something looks wrong with the way the case twist as it chambers, right to the point that it stops chambering and locks up...
 Also, where the case is jamming in his pictures, its not into the chamber far enough to be a sizing issue..It has to be a feeding issue... I just dug out the boys .308 model 7..feeding it an empty brass it slides right into the chamber and the case head never comes outside the edge of the bolt like his pictures show...

This is a model 7 .308 ....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Take the case that when you close the bolt it goes crooked and place it into the chamber by hand and then push the bolt home and see if it chambers.
View Quote

They all close.

Where it gets stuck is the movement of the bolt pushing the brass.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Ok so your sizing is fine. It's the feeding from the internal mag/single load that's the issue. Does it do it with a bullet in the case? Can you make a dummy round with your sized brass and try it.
View All Quotes

They all close.

Where it gets stuck is the movement of the bolt pushing the brass.

Ok so your sizing is fine. It's the feeding from the internal mag/single load that's the issue. Does it do it with a bullet in the case? Can you make a dummy round with your sized brass and try it.

Yup, it does it with a bullet in the case as well. I first noticed it when I was at the range.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Does it do it if you push the round down in the magazine? Or just when you set it on top to single load? Have you ever fully loaded it and did a function check?
View Quote

I never use the internal mag.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Worth a try as it seems like a bolt feed geometry issue and not a cartridge sizing issue.
View Quote

I've had this rifle for 17 years.

Only thing different is changing of the barrel, stock and a trued action.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Worth a try as it seems like a bolt feed geometry issue and not a cartridge sizing issue.
View Quote

Did truing the action or new barrel change anything? It never did it with the .308.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Possibly. Tough to say definitely one way or the other but if it worked before you got it rebarreled and doesn't now then it seems like something changed to effect it. If you only single load maybe try the single feed ramp above and see if it works.
View Quote

Apart from switching to the single feed ramp, is it worth taking to a smith to have it looked at?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]

As to what the bolt fact looks like.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Doesn't look horrible, looks like there is a buildup on the extractor, wouldn't hurt to clean that up...I think your issues are a feed issue with the barrel and how cartridges interact with it now...As suggested, if it was a local smith I would take the rifle and both the ammo that causes issues and ammo that loads fine and let him have a look at it..He might need to massage on it....
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#27]

Did truing the action or new barrel change anything? It never did it with the .308.
View Quote

Your .308 had fatter blunter bullets.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#28]
That's a lot of change that could have changed the way the round feeds from a single load. Have you looked at getting a single load shelf? Like below or similar.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004707470
View Quote

I would get the Score High version myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Why I said like below or similar. Never used one but needed an example for him. Not a recommendation of that model.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I would get the Score High version myself.

Why I said like below or similar. Never used one but needed an example for him. Not a recommendation of that model.

Understood.

The PTG thing, you have to take the gun apart, remove the magazine body, spring and follower, and then glue the thing into the bottom of the receiver.

Score High's just sits on top of the magazine follower.

And I think you're on the right track with the feeding issue stemming from how the cartridge is being presented in the feedway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#31]
So, is this a sizing issue,  a bullet issue or a gun issue?

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]
You know, all this time I thought you were having trouble feeding a case with a bullet in it. I should have watched your videos...

I wouldn't worry even one little bit about if a rifle fed an empty case. Does it feed with a bullet in it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
You know, all this time I thought you were having trouble feeding a case with a bullet in it. I should have watched your videos...

I wouldn't worry even one little bit about if a rifle fed an empty case. Does it feed with a bullet in it?
View Quote

It does the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Friend of mine came over and we dismantled it..

The floor plate on the internal magazine has a slight tilt downwards, and as the bolt pushes forwards so does the round.. downwards.

Hence the issue I am having.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#35]

The floor plate on the internal magazine has a slight tilt downwards, and as the bolt pushes forwards so does the round.. downwards.

View Quote

Nice, glad you figured it out OP...Gonna replace the spring ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I invested in a MPA chassis.  Should be shipped in a month.

So, I'll skip any fixes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#37]

So, I'll skip any fixes.
View Quote

Nice, which one..and what all did you get with it....
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:44:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#38]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

So, I'll skip any fixes.

Matrix.

I didn't op for the NV rail.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Glad you found the issue and that it's not your loading process. A new stock/chassis is a good choice and not with the AICS mags you can load longer as well. You might need to notch the feed ramp on the receiver though which is easy.
View Quote

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Matrix.

I didn't op for the NV rail.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't run the NV rail on my BA chassis, if I do I have to pull the sunshade off the scope..Let us know how you like it when you get it..their stuff is very nice..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top