Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2017 8:17:45 PM EDT
Rifle should be in next week, for time management sake, could someone sanity check my intended course of action to get started? My checklist so far looks like:

-Verify action torque.
-Verify Scope base torque.
-Install bottom of scope rings to specified torque.
-Adjust scope for eye relief.
-Install top of rings to torque specs, keeping everything level.
-Check diopter adjustment.
-Check parallax.
-Zero rifle at 100.(float turrets)
-Shoot tall target test to verify level.
-Get velocity with chrono (while zeroing  to save ammo?)
-Build gun in AB
-Verify dope before transonic velocity and true Kestrel.

-Enjoy shooting whatever else I want to shoot from there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

First thing to do with any new rifle is give it a good cleaning including the bore to get anything from the factory out and make sure it's safe to shoot.

Also don't forget about setting eye relief when mounting scope. Put the scope on highest power when setting.

Depending on chrono type you can chrono when zeroing but with a magnetospeed I wouldn't as they can sometimes change point of impact.
View Quote
The bore has already been cleaned and rifle has a couple rounds through it for testing purposes.

It is a magneto so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just fire a few extra rounds
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:37:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:

The bore has already been cleaned and rifle has a couple rounds through it for testing purposes.

It is a magneto so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just fire a few extra rounds
View Quote
When shooting long range I always get my zero offsets and muzzle velocity separate using the Magnetospeed. Long range is where you need a perfect zero starting point. 

You don't need to mechanically have a perfect zero on your scope, your solver needs the info though and it will compensate.
So if your poi is .2" high and .25" right, leave your scope alone and just punch those numbers into your bullet zero data.

If you are using AB Mobile just go ahead and buy the custom drag curves for your bullet.

Be precise with everything and you will be dead on for elevation at least.....that has been my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
When shooting long range I always get my zero offsets and muzzle velocity separate using the Magnetospeed. Long range is where you need a perfect zero starting point. 

You don't need to mechanically have a perfect zero on your scope, your solver needs the info though and it will compensate.
So if your poi is .2" high and .25" right, leave your scope alone and just punch those numbers into your bullet zero data.

If you are using AB Mobile just go ahead and buy the custom drag curves for your bullet.

Be precise with everything and you will be dead on for elevation at least.....that has been my experience anyway.
View Quote
I'll have to pull out the kestrel when I get home to see what you're talking about with the bullet zero. This would be great for different types of ammo I suppose, but I would like to start with a good mechanical zero since I will be doing some medium and long range stuff.

I think the AB kestrel has the custom drag models in it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]

I'll have to pull out the kestrel when I get home to see what you're talking about with the bullet zero. This would be great for different types of ammo I suppose, but I would like to start with a good mechanical zero since I will be doing some medium and long range stuff.

I think the AB kestrel has the custom drag models in it.
View Quote
Oh I see you have the Kestrel with AB built in.

The thing with the zero is if you have a .1mil scope you can only adjust it .360" so it wont be perfect if you need to move it .200". If you do have a scope that can zero perfectly, different days, conditions, locations your zero can wander a bit.
You could zero at 7am and by 11am your zero could have moved. You could fuck with the scope or just change a number in your Kestrel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Oh I see you have the Kestrel with AB built in.

The thing with the zero is if you have a .1mil scope you can only adjust it .360" so it wont be perfect if you need to move it .200". If you do have a scope that can zero perfectly, different days, conditions, locations you zero can wander a bit.
You could zero at 7am and by 11am your zero could have moved. You could fuck with the scope or just change a number in your Kestrel.
View Quote
That you for explaining that, that is not something I have taken into consideration. Learning has occurred.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#7]
Looking at the AB options. Is what you are refereing to with the zero offset the ZH and ZO? Input measurement in inches or cm?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking at the AB options. Is what you are refereing to with the zero offset the ZH and ZO? Input measurement in inches or cm?
View Quote
Yes those are it. Mine is set up in Imperial so mine is inches.

If you are hitting 1 inch high then put in 1.0
If you are hitting 1 inch low then put in -1.0

Ok I'll tell you the intention of how ZO(zero offset) is suppose to be( my experience differs)

If you are hitting 1 inch left you put in -1.0
If you are hitting 1 inch right you put in 1.0

Now, for me in AB Mobile on Android and Shooter(same maker), for zero offset(ZO/left right) I have to punch it the opposite for it to work.
If my POI is 1 inch right of POA I have to put in -1.0 instead of 1.0, it is backwards.

I have brought this issue up but don't hear back on it. I have AB Analytics as well, it does work properly on that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top