Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2014 1:03:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper]
Here's a really good series by TiborasaurusRex on YouTube.  I've learned a lot from it.

Sniper-101 Video Series
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Here's a really good series by TiborasaurusRex on YouTube.  I've learned a lot from it.

Sniper-101 Video Series
View Quote

I still go back and watch some of those.

Very good series for beginners.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything I know about optics and long range shooting, I've learned from him.

I would love to meet him in person. Seems like a solid dude.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I started watching those a few days ago, that man has pretty much sold me over several videos on selling my current scope which is a bit over magnified for my needs and picking up a uso st-10x.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep I watch his and John's (LoneWolfUSMC) youtube channel's. I hope Rex is doing better, I guess he was diagnosed with aggressive cancer a little while ago but ended up beating it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sagillman:
Yep I watch his and John's (LoneWolfUSMC) youtube channel's. I hope Rex is doing better, I guess he was diagnosed with aggressive cancer a little while ago but ended up beating it.
View Quote

Can anyone tell me what his background is? I'm just wondering. I've never heard of him, but I'm not a big youtuber.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have watched most of those.  Good information.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ReconB4:

Can anyone tell me what his background is? I'm just wondering. I've never heard of him, but I'm not a big youtuber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I messaged him about a year ago asking him what his training background was.  He said he did serve the military, but learned most of what he knows from his dad and that he had been shooting centerfire rifles since he was 5.  He didn't give any more information than that and I didn't ask.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#8]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

I messaged him about a year ago asking him what his training background was.  He said he did serve the military, but learned most of what he knows from his dad and that he had been shooting centerfire rifles since he was 5.  He didn't give any more information than that and I didn't ask.
View All Quotes

That's what I thought. There's good videos there but I'd be wary about any tactical portions, suggestions or the similar.

ETA I'm not trying to say anything bad one way or the other. I don't know the guy. His videos seem to have some good info in them, from what I've seen. Just throwing this out there, it would be like me trying to tell people how to fly a plane because my dad was a pilot, before I went to flight school. I'm strictly speaking of the operational sniper parts, if there are any. I haven't seen yet, but unless you went to school and have done the job it would be hard for me to takes someone's word on the subject that never did the job, whether or not he can shoot long range or not. Shooting is only part of being a sniper.

Overall from watching a few, lot's of good shooting info there. I can't believe I've never seen this before, then again, I'm not on you tube a lot. He doesn't really talk about the tactical side of being a sniper. I guess the title of his series of videos is a little confusing/misleading? Good stuff overall. Thanks for sharing.

I have to say, he has some good points that I absolutely agree with. He said in one of his videos that ballistic computers are great but they encourage people to not learn the physics of what you're actually doing. You'd be lost not if, when those electronic devices don't work. I'm liking it more and more. Ugh. lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]

That's what I thought. There's good videos there but I'd be wary about any tactical portions, suggestions or the similar.

ETA I'm not trying to say anything bad one way or the other. I don't know the guy. His videos seem to have some good info in them, from what I've seen. Just throwing this out there, it would be like me trying to tell people how to fly a plane because my dad was a pilot, before I went to flight school. I'm strictly speaking of the operational sniper parts, if there are any. I haven't seen yet, but unless you went to school and have done the job it would be hard for me to takes someone's word on the subject that never did the job, whether or not he can shoot long range or not. Shooting is only part of being a sniper.

Overall from watching a few, lot's of good shooting info there. I can't believe I've never seen this before, then again, I'm not on you tube a lot. He doesn't really talk about the tactical side of being a sniper. I guess the title of his series of videos is a little confusing/misleading? Good stuff overall. Thanks for sharing.

I have to say, he has some good points that I absolutely agree with. He said in one of his videos that ballistic computers are great but they encourage people to not learn the physics of what you're actually doing. You'd be lost not if, when those electronic devices don't work. I'm liking it more and more. Ugh. lol
View All Quotes

I'm just a target shooter so I'm not concerned with the "tactical" aspects of it.  Really I just love shooting, talking about shooting, watching others shoot, and teaching my kids to shoot.  I think Rex is not only knowledgeable, but also a good person.  I do appreciate those that have done this stuff for real and understand there is a lot more to it than the actual shot.  I do enjoy watching video's of snipers telling their stories and hearing everything you guys have to share on the subject.  I just understand I'm only a target shooter and do not intend to learn "tactics" by reading about it.  What I can do is shoot a lot which I do a lot and I mean a lot...lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm just a target shooter so I'm not concerned with the "tactical" aspects of it.  Really I just love shooting, talking about shooting, watching others shoot, and teaching my kids to shoot.  I think Rex is not only knowledgeable, but also a good person.  I do appreciate those that have done this stuff for real and understand there is a lot more to it than the actual shot.  I do enjoy watching video's of snipers telling their stories and hearing everything you guys have to share on the subject.  I just understand I'm only a target shooter and do not intend to learn "tactics" by reading about it.  What I can do is shoot a lot which I do a lot and I mean a lot...lol
View All Quotes

I just took the title wrong. Very good videos. It was a little misleading.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pointman12] [#11]

View All Quotes

I've seen a good number of them, and he doesn't go into a ton of detail on the "tactical" aspect of shooting. IMHO it would be better named "Long Range Precision 101" or something similar. He goes into WAY more detail on equipment, ballistics, technique, and the like rather than stalking or whatever else cool stuff yall do.

His videos do get dense at times, but he has never said anything that sounds blatantly wrong to me and my semi-untrained ear.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the link OP
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Just watched a few of his videos. Pretty damn good, lots of good information in those.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:22:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#14]
The fact that he knows and understands and can plainly explain the physics of it all is of far more value to me. Rather than to listen to a tactical blowhard trained to be a top sniper in the military telling me something because that is what he was told and that is the only way because he don't know any other way.

This guy is smart has done tons of research and understands and practices what he has learned and he can effectively convey it to the viewers. He has a great non condescending manner about him. In reading Bryan Litz' books you will find all of the same information, he doesn't spew bullshit. Has has great character, not saying this or that is junk or talking shit about other methods or bragging about how great he is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#15]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
The fact that he knows and understands and can plainly explain the physics of it all is of far more value to me. Rather than to listen to a tactical blowhard trained to be a top sniper in the military telling me something because that is what he was told and that is the only way because he don't know any other way.

This guy is smart has done tons of research and understands and practices what he has learned and he can effectively convey it to the viewers. He has a great non condescending manner about him. In reading Bryan Litz' books you will find all of the same information, he doesn't spew bullshit. Has has great character, not saying this or that is junk or talking shit about other methods or bragging about how great he is.
View Quote

Yep...I don't care who taught you or where you learned it, but if you can do this on the FIRST shot you have my attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJ0RToUYGE

I've also watched Bryan Litz's dvd and he is good as well.  Some people are better at teaching than others and the best shooter isn't always the best teacher.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Yup. I've tried to have legit school trained snipers try to teach me a few things but they were horrible at trying to explain shit. I'm one of those types as well, that once I can actually do something, it's really difficult for me to try to explain it to others. This guy's videos has a lot of good information that's broken down barney style so people can understand it and not throwing out a ton of verbage that most new shooters haven't heard before.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
The thing I like best about the video series, as has already been pointed out, is his attitude and ability to articulate.  I watch them over and over...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm able to explain things to people in person and teach well. I've had quite a few people say that I was able to get something across to them that someone else couldn't. I couldn't do it on video though. I've watched a few more and I have to say, I like him. He's a good teacher and an all around good dude. No, great dude.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Covert8645:

Yup. I've tried to have legit school trained snipers try to teach me a few things but they were horrible at trying to explain shit. I'm one of those types as well, that once I can actually do something, it's really difficult for me to try to explain it to others. This guy's videos has a lot of good information that's broken down barney style so people can understand it and not throwing out a ton of verbage that most new shooters haven't heard before.

I'm able to explain things to people in person and teach well. I've had quite a few people say that I was able to get something across to them that someone else couldn't. I couldn't do it on video though. I've watched a few more and I have to say, I like him. He's a good teacher and an all around good dude. No, great dude.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#20]
bump for an awesome series.  just saw his recent video on his trouble w/ recent cancer diagnosis.  pretty young guy to have such a disease.  i wish him a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been watching his videos for the past couple months.  Good stuff.  I hope he's doing alright.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I ran into his fist couple of videos fairly early and have been following ever since. The one that I always go back to is his video on the effects of humidity and molecular mass. I have sent emails to various people I know in the meteorology field but none know much about what they actually do beyond use equipment.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:45:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By pointman12:

rather than stalking or whatever else cool stuff yall do.

View Quote
Mostly radio watch.    

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#24]
HO LEEE SHEET.  Thanks for posting this guys!  This is really really really great.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JohnTlag:
HO LEEE SHEET.  Thanks for posting this guys!  This is really really really great.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#26]
thanks for the info guys, ive just been getting into long range shooting and this seems like some awesome info!
tactical is cool, but id rather have a guy teach me how to shoot realistically rather than someone teaching me bs that they call tactical (i.e. the mag-flip of the shorter range world)
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Awesome.  I've been meaning to watch these for a while but have never pulled the trigger...

But seriously, I'm glad to hear people like these videos and find out they're informative and worth the time
to watch.  I've had them in my play list or watch list or whatever the heck YouTube calls it for months but
generally don't spend too much time watching videos on the internet.  Now I will
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Rex and "THLR" (look him up on youtube) are my staple videos.  I have downloaded all of the videos each has made, and keep them on my laptop so I can watch them over and over when I have time to kill.

I also have Litz's DVD set, which is exceptional.  I also ordered THLR's DVD, which will be fun watching with subtitles.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Any one know what Rex's background is?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SUPER_6_1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SUPER_6_1:

Interesting.  I think I'm on video 14 for 15 and really enjoy them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0hw0rd] [#32]
Rex is a dude I'd love to take a course from and then drink beers with. His videos are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been slowly watching these videos in order.  It's kind of amazing how much detail he goes into on most things.  
A few times it's been a little too much detail, like the barrel profile video.  Right now I'm on scope turrets; I'm going
to watch all his scope videos and figure out what type of scope would fit my shooting applications.  Good stuff!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#34]
In younger non-married days, I bought a Remington 700 police in .308..... Never fired. Starting dating, got married and it has sat in my safe for years. Few days ago I travel to this side to ARFCOM to see where to start with learning. Now I am addicted to his playlist. Even started to watch them on my lunch breaks at work on my phone. At first I thought I just needed to buy a big scope and tons of ammo and start shooting up the country side in hopes to make a shot... I see there is way more to it. So now I am taking my time and learning it the right way and doing way more research. I am still trying to get geared up but I hope to be ready once I have watched all his videos. Buying a scope seems like it is going to be the most painful part. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#35]
just finished his scope videos. thats a huge help. very glad he spent all that time making these
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Hats off to him for taking the time to make the series.

I've learned way more that I ever thought was possible about precision shooting from his vids, and I still don't know 1/100th of what he does.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's my personal endorsement:

I had never done any shooting past 200 yards when I was invited to a long-range event (Boomershoot). I'd always been interested in long-range but life happens. With four months to prepare I found and watched all of Rex's videos. Using only his coaching I made some minor mods to my hunting rifle, re-scoped it with a fixed SWFA, selected an appropriate bullet, developed a new load, and collected data at my local 100 yard range. Every step I just did what Rex said.

Showed up at Boomershoot with fingers crossed. Day one was steel targets from 400 to 800 yards, and a full 10mph crosswind. I expected to fail miserably. Dialed in for my first 400 yard shot (twice what I'd ever done before) and it was a hit. So was the next and the next. So I tried a 600 yard target and that was a hit. And so on out to 800 yards. No misses although one of the 9" 800yrd plates I just caught on the edge.

Day two was exploding targets. The crosswind had dropped to 5mph. My best shot was a box rotated on edge so it presented a 2"x4" target at around 620 yards. That was the shot that made all the work worth it.

I'm just an average shooter, but I'm having great success by following Rex's coaching. This wasn't meant as a brag - you guys are all probably better shooters than me, but I'm just saying Rex is legit. I'm just an average Joe and he's been able to reach out through YouTube and put my rounds on target.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#39]
These Video's are pretty kick ass....my god, he talks about everything you need to know.  On video 23 out of 90 ...Thanks for the link OP!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#40]
he just posed a video a few weeks ago about his battle with cancer. looks like he made it through it .

glad he made it. seems like a pretty good guy
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you OP! This should keep me busy after putting the kids to bed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Rex is doing better.

If you have time wish him well on this YouTube video. I have learned much from him.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Just stumbled on this thread, unbelievable the amount of knowledge he has. Probably the simplest, easiest explanation I've ever heard from someone when it comes to making long distance shots. Glad he is ok from the chemo. I have become an instant fan from just watching two videos.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't been able to amass the free time to visually watch all the videos. His verbal explanations are so detailed that I've been listening to the episodes as podcasts on my commute. I'm enough of a science geek to find it fascinating, and his conversational style makes for a good listen. I'll need to go back and revisit a few episodes when (if) my schedule clears up enough to take up shooting as a hobby again.

He actually sounds quite a bit like the comedian Brian Regan in voice character and speech prosody. Glad to hear he's doing better.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Azygos:
I haven't been able to amass the free time to visually watch all the videos. His verbal explanations are so detailed that I've been listening to the episodes as podcasts on my commute. I'm enough of a science geek to find it fascinating, and his conversational style makes for a good listen. I'll need to go back and revisit a few episodes when (if) my schedule clears up enough to take up shooting as a hobby again.

He actually sounds quite a bit like the comedian Brian Regan in voice character and speech prosody. Glad to hear he's doing better.

View Quote

i listen to them as well. there isnt much to actually watch yet
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Great series so far. I'm only 30 deep or so, but this guy knows his stuff for sure.  Very enlightening.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Glad to see he's doing better. His videos are top notch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#48]
bumping to keep alive
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#49]
anti-archive bump
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Great videos.  I think I have watched the first 40 or so twice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top