Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2017 12:30:49 AM EDT
I broke my collar in August and have finally got back into shooting. Seems like I've forgotten everything I know. I can't build myself a prime position to save my life. Seems like I'm to high, to low, can't relax get tensed up and it's showing in my groups. I know I'm capable of decent shooting.

And i finally got a large frame AR. Realised that this isn't anything like shooting a AR-15. I can't half ass my positions anymore and get good groups. So anyone have any good videos on shooting from the prone.

Thanks

Scott
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Here ya go:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
I broke my collar in August and have finally got back into shooting. Seems like I've forgotten everything I know. I can't build myself a prime position to save my life. Seems like I'm to high, to low, can't relax get tensed up and it's showing in my groups. I know I'm capable of decent shooting.

And i finally got a large frame AR. Realised that this isn't anything like shooting a AR-15. I can't half ass my positions anymore and get good groups. So anyone have any good videos on shooting from the prone.

Thanks

Scott
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. Try not to get frustrated, as this frustration often causes poor shooting, creating a feedback. This may not be the answer you want to hear, but I suggest two drills for you. I'm a fairly experienced shooter and do them when I've laid off for a while and notice my groups suffering:

1. Take time to figure out your natural point of aim. This need not be done at a range with live ammo. Get behind the gun, walk through all your position fundamentals with eyes closed. Open them and see where you're aiming. Close your eyes, and shift around until you aim at your target naturally. The ideal, in my opinion, is to form a generally straight line between the muzzle and your feet. Hands should be on the gun like a firm handshake, not limp, not harsh.

2. Dry fire.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Those arnt entirely helpful. Wrong shooting discipline. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I will set up a dry fire target at home again and start working on that. Should be extremely helpful. Thanks for the help

Scott
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I followed my own advice today. I didn't break my collarbone, but still haven't shot rifle in several months.

I could feel the rust flaking off while dry firing and practicing positions.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Maybe mentioning what discipline you are shooting would be helpful?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By erud:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thought posting here was self explanatory................
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Belly benchrest type prone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Thought posting here was self explanatory................
View Quote

I guess, if you think there is only one way to shoot a rifle with precision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top