Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear you found it useful!

I finished reading it too and learned a lot as well.  Now to put it all to use
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered the book this weekend and then found this thread tonight. Looking forward to the info and just want to say thanks in advance to Ryan and thanks to the OP for posting this review. My head is kind of swimming with what I "think" I need to know and this should make it much easier.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ha, very cool. Thanks for posting this.

I just added it on my kindle app
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#5]
Today was my first time actually shooting beyond 100 yards, and this book made today a successful outing. My first round on a steel plate at 550 yards was a hit with 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm about to read it again for the third time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool, will have to get this.

RLTW
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I got it on Kindle.  I'm about half way through.

Very solid work; easy to read. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
After watching his youtube videos I've decided to get the book. Good info, makes it easy to pay attention to because he doesn't go on and on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I "bought" the Kindle edition and somehow ended up getting it for free.  I felt bad so I ordered the hardback also.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking forward to the advanced version
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote
Me too!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wanted to revive the thread by pointing out what a cool guy Ryan Cleckner is.

I am currently down range and he just shipped half a dozen handbooks to my platoon when he heard some folks were interested in learning about precision shooting.

I want to urge those who have his book to leave a review on Amazon and help him out with some publicity.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, kick in a few bucks to get more books gifted to folks overseas. I did that sometime around Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote
Same here. I preordered it a few weeks ago from his website.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been shooting since I was 12 years old in 1960!! I'm no expert by anyone's definition but have acquired a lot of info over the years.  So I knew and know much of the material. But time dulls the brain and it's great to read this book and update my years of knowledge.  Like everyone else I very much like the style of the writing. I'm about 9 chapters into the book and it's all great material that will help anyone become a better shooter. Well worth the $15.00. I'm just getting into the long range shooting game. I'm not going for competition just want to see how good a shooter I am at long distance. I used to shoot 875yds with a AR15, heavy barrel target semi auto. Now I have a RPR in 308. I also had a DPMS LR 308 that would shoot less than 1/2 MOA at 100yrds all day long with factory ammo. It's just fun to get out and try something new!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:32:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cleck] [#17]
Originally Posted By Jkbulldogg:
Just wanted to revive the thread by pointing out what a cool guy Ryan Cleckner is.

I am currently down range and he just shipped half a dozen handbooks to my platoon when he heard some folks were interested in learning about precision shooting.

I want to urge those who have his book to leave a review on Amazon and help him out with some publicity.
View Quote
Happy to square you away!  I hope that you get them soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Azygos:
Today was my first time actually shooting beyond 100 yards, and this book made today a successful outing. My first round on a steel plate at 550 yards was a hit with 5.56.
View Quote
Awesome!  Glad to hear that it works. :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Cleck, enjoyed your appearance on the Hunt Backcountry podcast.  Any chance I can get a Amazon link for the magic sniper dust?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By USPcompact:
Hey Cleck, enjoyed your appearance on the Hunt Backcountry podcast.  Any chance I can get a Amazon link for the magic sniper dust?  
View Quote
I should sell some.  I'll just put a label on a Copenhagen can. :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:56:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USPcompact] [#21]
Originally Posted By Cleck:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Use a Grizzly can.  No reason to impugn the fine reputation of Copenhagen.   Also, I'd hate to confuse the two and turn into Bubba Blue.  

Should have mentioned in the last post that those two episodes are a great primer for anyone just getting in to precision rifles.   Here's a link to the podcast page:  https://exomountaingear.com/podcast/.  Episodes 72 and 73 are the ones worth a listen.

ETA:   One question - I'm building a lightweight .300 WM elk rifle.  Trying to keep it under 7.5 pounds with the optic (NXS 2-5-10x44), but am curios what your thoughts are on carbon wrapped barrels for a true lightweight rifle - worth it for the weight savings, or is it just as reasonable to go with an ultralight profle steel barrel?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like I'll be ordering that book. Thanks broseph.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#23]
View All Quotes
Note that I didn't mention some of my subsequent shots as the wind picked up. I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve. 300 yards was easy enough to keep the small plate swinging, though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Use a Grizzly can.  No reason to impugn the fine reputation of Copenhagen.   Also, I'd hate to confuse the two and turn into Bubba Blue.  

Should have mentioned in the last post that those two episodes are a great primer for anyone just getting in to precision rifles.   Here's a link to the podcast page:  https://exomountaingear.com/podcast/.  Episodes 72 and 73 are the ones worth a listen.

ETA:   One question - I'm building a lightweight .300 WM elk rifle.  Trying to keep it under 7.5 pounds with the optic (NXS 2-5-10x44), but am curios what your thoughts are on carbon wrapped barrels for a true lightweight rifle - worth it for the weight savings, or is it just as reasonable to go with an ultralight profle steel barrel?
View Quote
Get ready to have your teeth knocked out. :)

A light profile steel barrel is generally lighter than a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.  Honestly, unless you really want to "build the rifle,"  I'd just get a Tikka T3x and put it in an upgraded stock for hunting and call it a day.  You'll have light, smooth, and accurate for not a whole lot of money.  Or, you could wait until mine are available and spend a small fortune.  :)
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Note that I didn't mention some of my subsequent shots as the wind picked up. I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve. 300 yards was easy enough to keep the small plate swinging, though.
View Quote
At least you're out there learning!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By taliv:
since this is the internet, i'll ask:   you know, i don't think i've ever seen a pissing contest.   were those really a thing?      was it based on volume or distance?   seems like you'd have to be at a bruce jenner level of jacked up mentally to volunteer to referee/judge

looks like a good book though
View Quote
FWIW: The last pissing contest I saw involved a hot wire around the cow pasture. The guy that lost, lost bigly.

Now, back to long range shooting......
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#27]

A light profile steel barrel is generally lighter than a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.  Honestly, unless you really want to "build the rifle,"  I'd just get a Tikka T3x and put it in an upgraded stock for hunting and call it a day.  You'll have light, smooth, and accurate for not a whole lot of money.  Or, you could wait until mine are available and spend a small fortune.  :)
View All Quotes

Oh, no doubt.  Years of duck, goose, and turkey hunting with 3.5" shells out of a light 12 gauge have made me fairly recoil tolerant, but a light .300 WM is a whole 'nother animal.  It's going to get a brake.  

I'm collecting parts for the build - an EH-1 and a Lone Peak Ti Fusion with their new "alpine" port are already procured.  The barrel is the holdup as far as parts collection.   Looked hard at a 24" Sendero Lite from Proof as they're readily available, but the cost versus a Bartlein or HH makes me think twice.

Big fan of the T3 - have one in .260 in a chassis and a .270 Lite Stainless.   The inherent OAL restriction in .300 WM is what made me look into going the build route, and down the rabbit hole I went.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Ordered it on Amazon and it should waiting for me when I get home.

And thanks for pointing out the MatchBook thing, Azygos.  I went and got the Kindle version for free too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#29]
Finally ordered the book and it should be here by Friday. Looking forward to reading it.

I didn't know that there was an advanced version that will be out. Ill be buying that as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Ryan, I'm gonna order your book today. I'm not new to long range shooting, but I'm always desiring to learn more. When I am done with it, I will pass it on to other shooters learning to shoot long range. Also, thank you for your service. I was a Forward Observer in a COLT, but I wasn't as HSLD as you were (1st Cav Div).
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump.

I picked this up for Kindle last night and am 25% of the way through.  Good read, so far!

Note: You don't need a Kindle device to buy the Kindle version.  Amazon makes Kindle apps for Apple, Android, and Fire Tablets as well as Windows PC (and probably other platforms).  I started reading on a Fire tablet last night and continued this morning on an Android phone from the same spot - it all automagically syncs the devices.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Heard Cleck got banned.  Too bad, it was nice to have him here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SchizoPathica:
Heard Cleck got banned.  Too bad, it was nice to have him here.
View Quote
Yeah, he was warned several times not to peddle his wares without being an industry partner.

Arfcom has to keep those type of rules enforced or everyone and their brother will be peddling.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, the fundamentals are still the same.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got a copy and recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I embraced 6.5 CM because of you!  Love the video series.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Is Ryan still banned?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought the book because of this thread.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top