Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2016 7:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter]
Before I start, I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not shilling, or being paid, reimbursed, compensated, or even getting an internet high-five for writing this.
I paid for my copy of this book and I'm giving a review in a manner that is as objective and honest as I can manage.

The author does know that I am writing a review and I have a tentative "go ahead" from him.
Please don't nuke this because you think it's me trying to drum up business.  I honestly don't even know Mr Cleckner, but he seems like a pretty cool dude from some of the IMs we've passed as well as his YouTube videos, which are an excellent resource.

OK, I've been using this book for a few months now and I thought it could provide an avenue for information for interested parties here. At the very least it can answer some very popular questions and clear up some misconceptions.

So, you've got a rifle that you want to use for hitting at longer-than-normal distances.  Where do you start?  

When asked, a lot of folks will rapidly spit out a location or training group.  Usually a for-profit organization in a distant location that requires some money, an allotted training time, and travel... meaning more money.
But what if you just want to get started shooting?

If you're like me, or the people that I hang out with, there are only so many hours in the day and your paycheck will only get you so far.  Training in a long-range school isn't easily justifiable for a lot of us and there's gotta be a better starting point than just piecing together information you find referencing the internet and acquaintances at the local range.  

Some (sometimes most) of the answers you find at the range or from the internet are dubious and can waste a lot of time, energy, and money.  Let's be honest, even when you think you've found a good answer its validity can be questionable.

If you're like me, you pick up every piece of information you can on the subject you're tackling.  For long-range work I've bought a lot of books on the subject, it's information-heavy and can be confusing.  Connecting concepts like trigonometry and physics can be daunting to someone just starting out.

Among others, I've bought Robert Rinker's "Basic Firearms Ballistics" and Bryan Litz' "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting".  Rinker's book is too light on the subject of long-distance shooting and Litz' book is too heavy, especially for someone starting out.  Everyone starts somewhere, and Cleckner's book is a good start.

First off, it's not just a book.  It's a handbook, small enough to carry in a shooting bag.  In fact, he mentions this, don't leave it at home.  Take it to the range, it's bright orange so you don't lose it.
There are simple instructions for how to use the book.  "But I don't need instructions on how to read".  Roger, I understand.  But, while it's small enough to read in one sitting, you're not going to be able to remember everything you read.  

After reading the instructions, I decided to take a step back and try to forget everything I knew about the subject and use what was taught in the book.  Then I read it.
It took me two evenings.

Then I read it again.  Then I read it again and highlighted everything I thought I would need to reference in the field, I even wrote notes in the margins and left index cards full of questions.  Then I used the book to find the answers to my questions.  I found answers to most of my questions in the book.
What I'm trying to say is this; the line of thought expressed in the book is... explained by itself.  But it's enough information for you to want to take the next step yourself.

A note about the format: it's conversational.  Very much like a useful conversation over email or the telephone.  It's almost as if the writer is talking to you at the range or the front of a classroom with a dry-erase marker in his hand.  It's personal enough to where it's easy to understand, and the unavoidable raw information is tempered with easy to absorb explanations.  I'm pretty sure any interested junior highschool student could follow the material presented.

Anyhow, starting fresh.  I ditched the laser rangefinders, the spotting scopes, weather instruments, anything that a new shooter typically doesn't have access to (yet).
I bought a surplus bag from ebay and grabbed a gun with a decent piece of glass.
Then, when I went shooting over 500 yards, I took the book with me.  The only other reference material I took with me was the owners manual for my optic.

My approach worked, to an extent.  I found that I had some die-hard habits I simply didn't want to stray from.  So I took a contrary view-point and attacked the reasons why I did these things, and when I wrote them out objectively... boy did I learn some hard truths about myself.

Following the book, I found out a lot about my shooting style, from equipment selection (and how some of it held me back from becoming a better shot) all the way to why I made decisions on when to clean my rifle, take a shot, why I made a wind call the the way I did, even how (and why) I used a data (DOPE) book.

An example: When I graduated from sniper school, I was told to keep a DOPE book to record everything.  It was written in stone.  "Thou shalt keep all the data all the time and no less"
The book gave a simpler alternative "Only keep as much as you're going to reference and use later".  The author also understands that this is a controversial statement.  But here's the cool part: the subject is broached with an acknowledgement that it's controversial and gives an explanation when it's appropriate, or not.  Basically, if it's something you can use, please use it, but be honest with yourself.  

Good writing, great instruction.

The author has the same simple and even-handed approach to the rest of the subjects in the book: equipment, ballistics, zeroing, estimating range and wind... all of it.  Like I said, it's done in a manner where you can almost hear the dude at the front of the room talking to the class.
Mr Cleckner also lends his opinions.  Here's the best part about that: he explains why they're his opinions and leaves them as opinions.  They're not presented as being definitive, they're optional tools, things he has found to be useful or practical.  

And the book is nothing but practical and motivating.  It's not about getting dialed-in to very small groups, it's focused on realistic expectations when putting a bullet on a target.  The writer has a great way of "pulling" you to want to try a technique, or define your capabilities... rather than pushing you to do it or [even worse] just laying out the information and letting it simply lay there.  After reading some parts, I found myself wanting to rise to the occasion, to see if I could do it.

If I had to narrow down "that one thing" I learned from this book, it is: with some simple instruction and minimal equipment you can do a lot.

I didn't need to rely on lasers or spotting scopes or expensive rifles.  If you want to get into shooting long distances, or if you want a refresher on the basics... this book is the cat's pajamas.
It has everything you need and nothing you don't.  It's not muddled with theory work and formulas, just some simple tools you can realistically use.

A decent rifle, ammunition, some paper, a pencil, this book, and a piece of land you can shoot on.  It's a starting point I can strongly recommend.

Mr Cleckner has linked a website to the book and it has printable targets and links for materials and equipment he references in the book.  Some of the chapters on the website have blank spots, but it is a relatively new book and I suspect that a lot of its target audience hasn't been exposed to it.

If you'd like to know more about the book, or even the author, look them up.  Time well spent.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thirsting for more knowledge on this subject so I ordered the book.  Wife and I are doing an all ladies Appleseed this weekend in Alabama so this will give me something to read in the hotel at night!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like I need to buy a book.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote

yeah, I'll give it a look-see
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:46:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#4]
since this is the internet, i'll ask:   you know, i don't think i've ever seen a pissing contest.   were those really a thing?      was it based on volume or distance?   seems like you'd have to be at a bruce jenner level of jacked up mentally to volunteer to referee/judge

looks like a good book though
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

View Quote

Ditto.

Thanks for the heads up tweeter. I've just started getting into this sub-hobby of shooting and would love some pointers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]

I ordered the book off of Amazon.  I also ordered Mike Lamb's Precision Rifle DVD and the Magpul Precision Rifle DVD's.

Thanks for the book review.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered it yesterday too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]

I bought the book a month or so ago.   It is as good an instructional manual as you will find on any subject, and heads and shoulders above most firearms instruction.  

Easily the best $15 I've spent on shooting gear ever.  

It's this simple - if you want to be a better shooter at long range, buy the book, read it, and absorb the material.  If you want to keep chasing your tail, don't.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tweeter:
. . . I didn't need to rely on lasers or spotting scopes or expensive rifles.  If you want to get into shooting long distances, or if you want a refresher on the basics... this book is the cat's pajamas.
If has everything you need and nothing you don't.  It's not muddled with theory work and formulas, just some simple tools you can realistically use. . .
View Quote

Thanks for reviewing the book and sharing your thoughts, Tweeter!  I must admit, your analysis taught me something about what I wrote and/or how I wrote it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By USPcompact:

I bought the book a month or so ago.   It is as good an instructional manual as you will find on any subject, and heads and shoulders above most firearms instruction.  

It's this simple - if you want to be a better shooter at long range, buy the book, read it, and absorb the material.  If you want to keep chasing your tail, don't.
View Quote

Wow.  Thank you for the endorsement!  I'm glad I helped.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought it on Kindle and am already about halfway through.

As others have said the book is written in a very laid back, easy to read format. The information is easy to absorb. Some topics I understood the basics of, such as Mil vs MOA, still had some stuff I did not know or had never thought about that made it interesting to read.

One of the things I liked most is where Cleckner would either say you don't need to worry about something or it is one of the last things you need to worry about. With so much technical information out there about precision shooting it's easy to get hung up unnecessarily and this book helps guide you through this.

If you are winning F Class or PRS matches this book may not hold as much information for you as it does for newer shooters but even then it presents many topics in a new light and may give you a new perspective on some things.

For new shooters it's a great investment. I am am fairly new and am going to buy a paper copy as well. It's less than the cost of a box of rifle ammunition and I think you will definitely get more out of it. It also nicely complements the authors youtube series.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Cleck:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USPcompact:

Hell, thank you for doing the book.  I wish I had it 10 years ago.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Due to my unhealthy man crush on Tweeter the book was just delivered to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I finished the book last night.  Great introductory type book.  Had a few points that I was unfamiliar with.  It definitely takes it back to the basics and you can use it to start from even if you have zero experience.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been shooting for over 35 years, but just recently really started to play in the long range game.  I am 5 chapters in and am really enjoying it and finding it useful.  I have already recommended it to two people, one bought it and the other is waiting to borrow my copy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
"This is the worst coloring book ever."

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bought it on Kindle!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

View Quote

He texted me that quote and thought he'd call my bluff when I said that I thought it was so funny that I was going to include it on the cover!  
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I about busted a gut when I saw that.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought the book and it is easy to read and understand even for a newbie like me. The biggest thing I have picked up from this book is it has stopped me spending money on items I thought I needed and directed me to buy the right items I need for what I am attempting to do, thanks Ryan.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By steelheadr:
I bought the book and it is easy to read and understand even for a newbie like me. The biggest thing I have picked up from this book is it has stopped me spending money on items I thought I needed and directed me to buy the right items I need for what I am attempting to do, thanks Ryan.
View Quote

Glad to have helped!  Thanks for the support!
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Just ordered my copy.  Thanks for writing it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I am on the last chapter and the whole book has been outstanding.  There is a typo in the windage chapter.  I don't have the book in front of me, but in the first example problem the answer should be 29 and some change, but the book says 20.  I'll double check the page this evening.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I am on the last chapter and the whole book has been outstanding.  There is a typo in the windage chapter.  I don't have the book in front of me, but in the first example problem the answer should be 29 and some change, but the book says 20.  I'll double check the page this evening.
View Quote

Page 253
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#25]
After reading this thread I picked up a copy off of Amazon.  In hind sight I probably should have bought direct.   I'll add to the OP's comments.

Anyhow it arrived yesterday and I sat with it for an hour and a half.  Reading and skimming.  I do have to say I have a lot of the included info already but I can easily see this is a great format for the beginner.  It's thorough enough to do the job without bogging down in lots of minutia to make the new guys' eyes glaze over.  Simplified formulas that will work and get you on target.  It has what you need like Brawndo.   I can say the permutations I went through in the old days and math methods was kind of a stupid way to do things.  I was a guilty bastid for converting everything to inches in my brain then applying it back to the scope.  But hey that was the day of IPHY knobs and MIldot reticles, hand written drop tables that didn't always match what happened on the range.     The good ole days......

I know the author meant it as a handbook to pack along but I might humbly suggest a laminated card to come along with it, with some of the formulas and methods right on the card because I have lapses when I spend time away from shooting for a long time.    That way when you have the concepts down you can still have your cheat sheet with you when you leave the book on the shelf.  Just a thought.  

Good read and when I'm through reading it more thoroughly, I'm going to loan it to a friend that is getting into shooting longer distances.   I think this book is perfect for him, he's been shooting a long time but only by sighting in at 100 and kentucky windage and hold overs thereafter.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
RC was one of my primary instructors a long time ago.  He was/is generally a very intelligent person and is excellent at conveying the complexities or lack there of for long range shooting.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the recommendation, Tweeter. I'm new to bolt guns/longer range shooting, and this book seems right up my alley. Just ordered it off of Amazon, and looking forward to reading it cover to cover.

Off topic but sort of on topic - ish - Just bought a Remington 700 in 308 to start practicing with. I read a lot on these forums about better rounds, etc, but for the price, and considering this is my first bolt gun, it seemed like a more affordable route to go while I learn everything pertaining to longer ranged shooting. On my issued rifles, I've used everything from irons, Aimpoints, Eotechs, Acogs, and Elcans, but never shot anything in this field. The more I read about even what to buy, from a million different threads over a number of different forums, filled with contrasting and often contradictory opinions or perspectives, the more I, as a newbie, got confused.

This books seems to put it all together. The problem in my case, and I'm sure for other people who are in a similar position, is I don't really know all of the questions to ask to find the right answers. I've shot expert plenty of times during quals, but this is an entirely different animal.

So again, thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Page 253
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Page 253

Great catch!  I appreciate the critical reading.  If you send me your name via the book's website contact form, I'll make the change for future editions and give you credit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
bumped for later.  I gotta order this and need my wives passcode for amazon.  LOL.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#31]
OST
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:09:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 30PlusRetlaw] [#32]
Mine will be here tomorrow. He has some videos in youtube that are great. From setting up the rifle, all the way up to cleaning the rifle.
How to set up a scope

sight in a rifle

Long range shooting, 11 videos
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Rock Creek barrelled upper (16") along with a Weaver Tactical scope that has not been put to use, as I don't know jack about shooting at distance. I just received the mil-dot master and, now, it looks like I'll be getting this book.

Thanks for the review, OP!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Just ordered it, can't wait to read it and finally learn a thing or too.

The authors videos got me into precision type rifles in the first place. Just need to learn how to shoot past 300 now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Ordered

Thanks for the recommendation
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Appreciate the OP posting up about the book and the others who gave it high marks.
Just ordered a copy directly from the authors website,looking forward to giving it a read.
RK
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#37]
I don't expect English teachers to be shooting instructors nor shooting instructors to be English teachers.  My own minimal educational writings were long ago in textbook chapters now superseded, but it taught me great respect for the process of giving detailed technical information in a reader-friendly format. The author's educational and operational background complement each other perfectly for this type of book.

This was my first Black Friday purchase, albeit before midnight Thanksgiving. THANK YOU, Ryan, for doing Kindle MatchBook! I hadn't even known of that feature until last night and was able to start into the first chapters. So far, it's an excellent read with a logical progression of information. When reaching the early description of a bullet with the kinetic energy equation, I thought, "it would be great to expand on that and discuss powder converting chemical energy into kinetic energy." Several pages later, "boom," so to speak, there it was.

A suggestion on your own website's shopping section: Consider adding a drop-down menu at checkout to easily add the option of donating a copy to a service member. Alternatively, you could populate the store with 2 additional items. One of those would be the book + donated copy. The other could be donating both copies. I intend to give my Amazon hard copy as a gift and order one of the signed editions for myself from your website + donate one. You might find more people opting to donate copies if it's by clickable option instead of writing in the order comments.

There were 223 Amazon reviews when I ordered.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice work Ryan, I have always enjoyed your YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Azygos:
... A suggestion on your own website's shopping section: Consider adding a drop-down menu at checkout to easily add the option of donating a copy to a service member. Alternatively, you could populate the store with 2 additional items. One of those would be the book + donated copy. The other could be donating both copies. I intend to give my Amazon hard copy as a gift and order one of the signed editions for myself from your website + donate one. You might find more people opting to donate copies if it's by clickable option instead of writing in the order comments... Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Thank you for the kind words and good advice.  I offered a donated copy as a drop-down option and I only had two people take advantage of the deal.  I'm happy to bring it back!  I'm open to suggestions on locations for the donations.  Of course, I'm going to favor the Ranger Battalions but I'm sure this book would be appreciated military-wide.  If anyone knows some good contacts to help distribute the donated copies, I could just ship them a case at a time and leave it to them to hand out as they see fit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my copy this week, haven't had much of a chance to read it, but it looks great. Can't wait to learn as much as I can. Never got into precision shoot much, and I think lack of knowledge was the biggest reason, but I'm determined to make it work. Now if you all could teach me to read faster, I'm the world's slowest reader. Lol

Thanks to everyone in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for this thread and thanks to the author.
Just ordered it off Amazon
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Thank you for the kind words and good advice.  I offered a donated copy as a drop-down option and I only had two people take advantage of the deal.  I'm happy to bring it back!  I'm open to suggestions on locations for the donations.  Of course, I'm going to favor the Ranger Battalions but I'm sure this book would be appreciated military-wide.  If anyone knows some good contacts to help distribute the donated copies, I could just ship them a case at a time and leave it to them to hand out as they see fit.
View Quote

I just placed order numbers 986 & 987 on your website a few minutes ago and added the donation request in the comment section. You're better plugged into the shooting community than I, so I'll defer to your judgement on where to send the copies. Sorry more people didn't take advantage of that, but it's still a great gesture to send such a large chunk of the proceeds to charity.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Started reading this morning, it will be in my range bag from now on.
Page 9 hits home with me right away..."Consistency is the key to accuraccy"..I need to work on doing it the same way each time.
Looking forward to the rest of this book.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I just order a copy from amazon, it's on sale for $10.67.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CoffeedrinkerinNC:
View Quote

I sent the sale to two friends and they bought copies too.  What is the timeline for the next book?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CoffeedrinkerinNC:
View Quote

Thanks for the tip - I just ordered one to go along with my Kindle version.

And thanks to the OP for the review; I never would have found the author or his NSSF video series on Youtube if I hadn't ran across this thread.

But most of all, thank you Cleck for writing the book and for all your efforts to make make ordinary folks better and safer shooters.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I just bought the book the other day and then decided to get a Kindle.

To my surprise I went to see what the cost would be for the Kindle and it was FREE since I bought the book

Can't beat that!!  I can't wait to start reading it tonight when my Kindle is up and running
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#49]
@Cleck

I got my Kindle yesterday and started reading for a bit last night.  It is a very good book thus far!  It is also the first actual book that I have read in probably 8 years  I look forward to reading more of it tonight.

You have a very engaging writing style and an excellent tone for those just starting out.  I must admit that I am guilty though of buying a $4K rifle after upgrading several times over the years when I probably don't need it given how much and what distance I shoot at but I like my AIAT w/ Gen II Razor so I will keep it

I did see a typo though on Page 21 that Hornady is spelled wrong under the bullet caption.  Not a huge one but I figured you'd want to know for future releases.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#50]
This book was recommended to me by @jlficken and has been the best $10 that I've ever spent on anything shooting related. I've read through this book twice along with going back and highlighting a lot of things for future reference. I'm new to longer range shooting and had never shot past 350 yards before. This past weekend I got the  chance to stretch it out to 660 yards and did this.

10"x18" plate at 660 yards. Five consecutive shots using the side of a 4wheeler to lay the rifle on. Group was roughly 7.5".
Attachment Attached File

That may not be all that impressive to a lot of guys but for someone who has never done this before I was honestly shocked
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top