Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 9:52:25 AM EDT
I'm planning on using my old Buckmaster now for fishing since I only ever get a chance to hunt gun season. I ended up with a spincast reel, and just ordered a reel seat. I've got my eye on a different rest, and I know I need an arrow/line. Any advice on durable arrows for big fish? My target fish will be anywhere from mangrove snappers to rays to barracuda, Cobia and dolphin. Or basically anything that swims up in the chum slick.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with a friend mine twenty years ago bowfishing. The most fun I have ever had. I always thought I would get around to doing it again. Well I just bought a bow and the parts to start putting a rig together. Short of popping the trash fish here in ponds and canals, where else is good to go? I would like trying to nail some salt water fish, or something that can be eaten. Although gars are a bigly amount of fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Well this has completely changed direction. I’ve gone through a hurricane, moved twice, put that old Jennings back together for deer season, and picked up some stuff on Walmart clearance. I got a Barnett Vortex Hunter (45-60) for the wife to learn to shoot, and I just grabbed a Barnett Vortex (19-45) today  for bowfishing. I dug out my old reel and mounted it up.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 5:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#3]
All I can recommend is buy a reel that will stand up to the use.  Its been awhile since I last bow fished but I used to do it a lot.  Several manufacturers, such as Muzzy, make reels specifically designed to bow fish.  Cheap reels or lightweight reels will fail quickly and ruin your trip.  You want something big and heavy duty.  There's no fishing pole to absorb the shock of a fish fighting you with a bow and all that goes straight into the reel.  

Edit: Forgot to see when this was posted but still relevant info for newbies so not all bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top