Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2015 1:43:18 PM EDT
About 15 years ago I bought a longbow but never got around to shooting it until yesterday.  I shot it about 50 times yesterday and had a ton of fun, but after I was done I noticed the bow was pretty scratched up from the arrows.  This is a one piece all wood bow with nothing wrapped around the grip.  There's no shelf, you just shoot off the knuckle.  Would it be a good idea to wrap the grip area with leather to protect it, or would that adversely affect how it shoots?  I'm brand new to primitive archery so I know next to nothing about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazytuco] [#1]
What type of arrows were you using?

ETA: I have a Mongolian horse bow from Seven Meadows that likewise does not have an arrow shelf.  I found that shooting carbon or aluminum arrows leaves a mark, while wood arrows with a clear finish do not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
They're cedar arrows with a clear finish, but they have a couple of bands of red paint right before the fletching and that's what is rubbing off.  I don't really care about the paint, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to damage the bow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Wood arrows need to be correctly slined to the bow wieght.
As for the scratching I like these plates of hide:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Accessories.asp

Also, lots of info on primative archery forum;

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=6pk089rfm6i90n1fo2ul940kq6&

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top