Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2015 3:14:37 AM EDT
I have a samick sage 30lb recurve bow, I have a 28" draw length. I was told that I should use traditional arrows w/ feather fletching 500 spine. After doing a little googling though, I'm wondering I should go with a 600 or more flexible spine because of the low draw? What about arrow length? The shop where I bought the bow didn't have any arrows in stock for sale.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I would go with 600's as well. I shoot aluminums so I haven't messed any carbons since I switched to recurves, but I hear they are more length sensitive. I'd go around 30" and start with a 125gr point. You can play with point weight to tune from there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the help! I was originally thinking of just ordering my carbon fiber arrows with the 100gr point from hunters friend, but 125 is an option too. What would be the difference in shooting them out of my bow?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:30:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#3]
Point weight will affect arrow spine, and that shaft and point weight should give you a reasonable starting point. Get screw in points so you can play if necessary. A stiff spine will shoot left for a right hand shooter and a weak spine will shoot right. Another consideration with point weight is the arrows F.O.C.; which basically is how far forward from the center of the arrow the balance point is. Depending on what you are using the bow for there are some recommendations. General target shooting is 8-12% with the heavier end being more important if you are going to be shooting long distances. Hunting is 10-15% with some wanting 20-30% if they are hunting really large animals. Google Dr. Ashby and wade through that if the subject interests you. Target shooters will generally shoot for an arrow weight of 8-10gr per lb. of draw weight while hunters generally fall into the 10-15gr/lb. I am running  Easton Legacy's with a total weight of 486gr and I'm drawing about 46.5# thus giving me an arrow about 10.5gr/lb and a FOC of 14.4% with the 150gr heads I'm running. I'm using 5" feathers as I need to stabilize broadheads - a target archer can get away with shorter ones. Wood, aluminum or carbon - mostly personal preference; people use wood mostly just to be traditional but they are likely a bit more fragile than aluminum and carbon is certainly tougher than either - you're making the right choice by going that direction, I went aluminum just for the extra weight and nostalgia. (that's what a shot out of my recurve as a teen). That's probably more than you wanted to know but there you go!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeeper21] [#4]
Thank you for your help. I've read up a little on FOC and found the formula to calculate % on my arrow, that will help once I start shooting. I have an option of 3" or 4" parabolic feathers, I would assume 3" would be better since I'll mostly be doing outdoor target shooting. What do you think?

Eta: I'm going with Easton axis traditional arrows.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Either would be fine; 3" will work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top