Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2017 12:21:45 AM EDT
So who uses scent control products and to what extent.......

I did the following this year, not sure it's working but makes me feel a bit better.

Body Wash
Pit Stick Antiperspirant
Scent Spray to Kill Odor
Scent Cover Spray
Finally did the Laundry Detergent too.....wash the underoos (lol), socks, pants, shirt.

Anyone know what I forgot......and who else has forgotten this step.  (Please be kind as it's my first year bow hunting)

Yup forgot to wash the bath towel in the special laundry detergent.  Was getting out of the shower and using the nice soft fresh smelling towel.....LOLOL.  Have since corrected this oversight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I try my best to keep scent down but don't get carried away.  You will always smell no matter what.  

I keep all my hunting clothes in a plastic tote in my trunk (after washed with scent free soap and line dried).  drive to my spot, strip down, wipe down with sent blocking wipes, then get dressed.  I also try my best to not start sweating on the way to the stand (which can be impossible in the early season).
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Scent control is definitely the way to go about it because you'll never "eliminate" your scent.

I'm a Dead Down Wind fan so I wash my clothes (not after every trip, mainly as needed) in DDQ detergent and use DDW dryer sheets. I store my clothes in a Scent Crusher storage bag. I spray down with DDW field spray after exiting the truck. I use Real Deer on the bottom of my boots before walking into the woods. Most importantly, I pay attention to the wind and hunt stands accordingly.

I've been considering getting an Ozonics unit but I've been skeptical. I have a couple of friends that have been using them for a couple of years now and they swear by them. I'm still on the fence but leaning towards trying one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems I'm still missing a couple steps to help control my stench....lol.  

I'll have to pick up a couple bags to seal my clothes in.  

I looked at that Ozonics unit.  Interesting seems though the fan in it might be an issue for noise.  Will have to look into it further but we don't sit in one place for to long.  good concept on odor destruction so to speak.  Seems there's always something to help give you the edge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree you will always have some scent. I do the wash in non UV brighter, clothes storage and I always used to spray but I'm not convinced it makes that much difference. Everyone I've talked to that has used the ozonics units say they work, I have no experience with them. Mostly believe in playing the wind and I really hate the light and variable forecast!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they smell you if they are down wind no matter what you do.

I have a buddy that swears by wood smoke. I might try it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mostly believe in playing the wind and I really hate the light and variable forecast!
View Quote
This right here.  Didn't hunt friday and saturday this weekend because I saw the wind was going to be perfect for my stand on Sunday.  Low and behold got a nice doe for the freezer.  Wind is so important.
That being said I have been using the new code blue product spray for my clothing seems to be working pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't believe it's possible to beat a deer's nose no matter what scent control measures are taken.  Being in a position where the wind is in my favor is my biggest consideration when choosing my stand each time I go out.  I still wash with scent control soap and use a scent lok head covering and scent control clothing because I figure there may be a scenario wind wise where it could make a difference.  I always trim the path I take into my stands so that the soles of my boots are the only thing that come in contact with the ground and spray my boots thoroughly before walking to my stands.  I'vbe been bowhunting since 1964.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top