Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2017 10:50:18 AM EDT
Hi crew, I recently picked up a Garmin 610t,  and want one of these chips for it.  

I was able to use a friends 680 for a season, after he lost it in my truck.  Really was impressed with his huntview chip, but the OnX looks nice too.   Any input?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive used numerous different GPS and apps. I love the OnX app. I download the area and go. I also like to use a large backup battery that lasts somewhere around 6 charges.
The app lets you download only what you want and all you do is turn on airplane mode and gps then go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive used numerous different GPS and apps. I love the OnX app. I download the area and go. I also like to use a large backup battery that lasts somewhere around 6 charges.
The app lets you download only what you want and all you do is turn on airplane mode and gps then go.
View Quote
I ended up with the OnX, works great in the garmin.  Also put it on the phone, and it works great when in service.    When out of service using phone as a gps, It flat out sucked.  I didn't have all day to play with it up there, but no way I could trust my phone over my gps.  I was able to save a couple waypoints on the phone, the best was 5 miles off, the worst showed me in western Montana.

But I did get elk camp up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
OnX works awesome on this year's elk trip I never used my GPS just my phone in airplane mode with the paid OnX app
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#4]
OnX. When not in a service area you need to download the area ahead of time. Works pretty well and it's all I use. What I don't like, large maps in low res. Should be an option to download maps in any resolution. That way you can download high resolution at home. Many roads, trails are missed because of this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I was glad I did not count on my phone as my only gps.  The OnX app was only working 50% of the time.  Surprised you guys have had good luck with it.   I haven’t talked to anyone who felt like it worked as advertised.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was glad I did not count on my phone as my only gps.  The OnX app was only working 50% of the time.  Surprised you guys have had good luck with it.   I haven’t talked to anyone who felt like it worked as advertised.
View Quote
Really mine was a little hooky after the update but they got all the bugs worked out fast they also have some of the best customers service I've felt with any problems or questions I had were taken care of fast
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
It was pretty nice when it worked.  I liked it better than the garmin.

4 weeks in the field with it, nearly all off grid.  I’ll call their tech support after the holiday and see what’s up, but I was running the latest version.

Like I said, I know 3 other guys out here running it, none felt like it worked right.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you have to download the maps you want for offline. I did that and ran mine in off line in airplane mode with no problems what so ever
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, had all the maps downloaded.  Nice maps too, would love for it to work 100%.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine works amazing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Second year using onX. Some observations, would like a 25sq mile, 50sq mile option. You either have a 5 mile hires, 10 mile medres, or 100 mile lowres. Many roads, gates, etc not on map. I think I will be exploring a real GPS option.

When exploring new units, if you can't find wifi in a small town map, downloads suck, freeze and sometimes even after multiple attempts they won't download. Having the option to download hires large maps at home would certainly help alleviate this problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
An After action report on the OnX.

Really not able to count on it for anything other than a toy.  About 60% of the time it worked as advertised.  I could close the app, reopen and usually it worked then, but took way too long to find my location.

In contrast, my Garmin Montana was flawless.  And it runs the OnX chip maps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top