Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2015 1:36:34 AM EDT
So today my Loggy Bayou stand I've had since I was a teenager broke on me. One of the pins that goes through the metal band sheered off and it dropped. I'd already set the climber down so that wasn't gonna stop me, it just followed right along with the stand. It got sideways and caught itself part way down.

I switched to a rock climbing harness last year because it felt much more comfortable and to me, more secure since it's the same as a repel harness that I've hung off a lot of stuff from over the years of my youth.

Strap catches and since it's in front it spins you and your facing the tree. Lowered my bow down to the ground. Wrapped my legs around the tree, Unclipped the D ring and shimmied down the tree. So all I really lost was the camo strap that hooks around the tree. The full body harnesses felt like they were choking me just standing there, much less hanging from one. Really don't know how I'd have gotten to the strap at all if I was hanging backwards and it was clipped up over my head like those are.

So the next question, what's a good stand to go with? Wife has a summit but it seems complicated to me. This one was just go up the tree, drop the climber and fold the seat down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an old Loggy Bayou that I dont use anymore - it's just too scary up there for me anymore.  I have fallen TWICE out of stands (permanent - HA!).  One I was climbing into on pegs and crashed and burned to the ground like a lineman.  Got a dislocated shoulder and broken arm on that one.  The second one the "platform joist" pulled loose from the tree and the platform dumped be out like a dump truck as I reached for the bow uphaul rope.  I got really hurt that time.  5 broken ribs and ripped all the cartiladge from my sternum.  The loggy bayou seats are not comfortable and locking it into place or more especially hooking in your boots for the DESCENT are too scary for me.

Sorry I dont have a recommendation for you as all I hunt from now are ladder stands or stumps  .  Alot of guys I know use various summits.  I was on a dairy farm bowhunting this past weekend.  My friend has 7 stands set up.  I hunted from a high ladder (double side rails and shooting rail) and a double seat relatively low ladder.  These are a breeze to climb and get safely into and I feel very comfortable up there.

Carrying everything in is a problem for me too. I usually get so overheated and sweaty I get cold after an hour.  I used to walk in with just a T shirt on in subzero weather and it still didnt work as I got dressed before the climb.  Climbing and getting into the stand always sweated me up anyway.  Ladders make it simple and quick to get down and walk around for a minute to get warm or take a bathroom break.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what I have http://www.summitstands.com/summit-viper-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo

Not complicated at all.  Cables are great.  Stirrups are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an API grand slam that I have been using for 20 years, Has been a great stand, just have to change the shrink wrap on the chain every third year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Lone Wolf
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#5]
These threads always end up with Lone Wolf & Summit as the most mentioned climbers. Either would be fine - personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Big fan of Millenium M100 Hang on using the bracket to attach to several different trees is pretty handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top