Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2012 4:57:42 PM EDT
Shot a 5 point from 16 yards while sitting behind my ghost blind.

Shot placement looks like a perfect double lung hit, except he dropped on the spot with his lower legs paralyzed.

Take a look at the pics and see if you can explain how the arrow got angled up like that.

First I thought that it must have been an angled up shot because I was sitting on a chair behind my ghost blind. Now I don't think so.

Arrow was about 45 inches off the ground when shot. I now think it was a fairly  level shot. Ground was flat.

did it bounce off a rib and deflect up?

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is that the arrow deflected once it hit him...
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a waffle buck?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is that a waffle buck?

yea, a white tail waffle buck, very rare around these parts.

( it was on my trailer which has a waffle steel floor )
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe the arrow hit a small branch just before it hit him?

The entry point is between 2 ribs. Maybe one of the mechanical cutting surfaces opened up on a rib and deflected the arrow up?

I should add the broad head was a Spitfire Mechanical.

I am new at this so not sure what makes sense and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a waffle buck?

I figured it was on a hitch carrier thing.

Is the arrow stuck in the other side, where it hit?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a waffle buck?

I figured it was on a hitch carrier thing.

Is the arrow stuck in the other side, where it hit?

I placed the arrow there after the fact, It entered, deflected up and the broad head embedded into the spine. He rolled over on it and the arrow broke where the broadhead screws in.

I had the entry would and where the broad head embedded and stuck the arrow into see see what it looked like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I would guess either it deflected off a rib,probably from the blades opening or catching on a rib, or he fell over on the arrow and drove it into the spine?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would guess either it deflected off a rib,probably from the blades opening or catching on a rib, or he fell over on the arrow and drove it into the spine?

It must have deflected off a rib then because the arrow hit and he dropped without use of his rear legs.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It must have deflected off a rib then because the arrow hit and he dropped without use of his rear legs.

Either way, Congrats on a nice deer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
how did you lay your deer on your game carrier with the arrow still in it? (looks like a carrier that goes on the back of your truck)
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how did you lay your deer on your game carrier with the arrow still in it? (looks like a carrier that goes on the back of your truck)

To look at the angle and why the dear dropped when the arrow impacted, I put the arrow in the entry wound and lined it up with the broad head still embedded in the spine and saw how much of an angle it was. I then realized it was not an upward shot due to sitting down like I originally thought. It must have deflected off the rib.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#12]
If it didn't hit bone, it's possible that your bow and/or form could use a little tweaking to get perfect arrow flight.  When you practice if your arrows seem to stick into the target with the nock end low, that's an indication.  The arrows will still group together with corkscrewing, porpoising or fishtailing flight, but fixed blade broadheads and field points won't group together, and broadhead flight can get very erratic at any deviation in shooting form, especially at longer distance.

Putting a fixed blade broadhead on the arrow makes any imperfection in flight worse because the blades catch the wind.  That's why lots of folks will use mechanical heads.  But even with mechanical heads, if the arrow flight is bad, a lot of energy and penetration is lost if the arrow doesn't stick in straight.

I drive myself crazy sometimes shooting through paper and shooting bareshaft arrows, adjusting the rest and twisting cables trying to get perfect arrow flight.  But when you get it, the arrow flies like a laser even with fixed blade heads and goes through the target straight.  

Nice shot.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I did bare shaft tune, and the field points and practice Spitfires hit in the same spot. But when I shoot fixed blade, the fixed blade consistantly hit 4 inches left at 30 yards, so it needs some work and I am going to move over to Slick Tricks.

The boadhead did enter between 2 ribs and it looks like ithit a rib on the left side. I have never not had a practice spitfire or a hunting spitfire hit with anything other than dead straight on onto the target, so although the bow needs to be tuned better, I have to figure it deflected off a rib and went up since the angleis so severe, or maybe it hit a small vine just before hitting the deer.

Thanks, I was very happy with my shot placement!
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the same problem with fixed blades flying about 4" to the left from FPs in my Hoyt no matter what I did.  Ended up solving it by dropping the drawlength down another half inch.  The drawlength on that bow is about 3/4" long when pulled hard into the wall, when ATA and brace height are adjusted to specs.  It seems that a drawlength too long causes you to push the end of the arrow to the side as you try to get around your head and this causes the left side BH groups for a RH shooter.  Something to keep in mind if you can't seem to dial out that fixed blade flight.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had the same problem with fixed blades flying about 4" to the left from FPs in my Hoyt no matter what I did.  Ended up solving it by dropping the drawlength down another half inch.  The drawlength on that bow is about 3/4" long when pulled hard into the wall, when ATA and brace height are adjusted to specs.  It seems that a drawlength too long causes you to push the end of the arrow to the side as you try to get around your head and this causes the left side BH groups for a RH shooter.  Something to keep in mind if you can't seem to dial out that fixed blade flight.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]
when your bow went off the deer tried to jump your string and was in the process of trying to flee thats it
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
when your bow went off the deer tried to jump your string and was in the process of trying to flee thats it

He didn't move. No jumping, no squating.

He was still until the arrow hit and then he collapsed and his front legs moved him around in circles on the ground. He stopped trying to get away as I walked up to him. He lifted his head and I put an arrow through his heart from 5 feet away to quicken the kill
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Google "Archery walk back tuning" or flight tuning.  In short move your arrow rest the direction you need the arrow to impact until your broadheads meet up with your field points.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top