Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2013 9:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tlawdogg]
Hello all,
I am new to archery and just got the bow (Bear Assault, 60# draw) "tuned and adjusted" to me by Pro-Shop, cut to length arrows (340 arrows at 27" with 100Gr practice tips).
I have a "five point" Trophy Ridge sight  and shot it today and I am aiming the middle (red one, two green on top one red in middle and two green below) one "low" at approximately 35-40 yards and I am hitting consistantly high (good group).   How do I correctly adjust the sights? Why are there "Five" points on sight?, for 5 different shot lengths?
***The group was at least 3 feet higher than where I was aiming at 35-40 yards.
Thank you for any and ALL input on this.
///Thank you AR-180
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The various points are meant for different distances.  An archery sight is a front sight.  The peep is the rear.  To adjust the sights, you need to move them in the opposite direction of the way you want to go.  Since you were hitting three feet high, you could adjust the sight up or use one of the higher aiming points.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 10:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tlawdogg] [#2]
Excellent,
Should I move the entire sights up first or mess with the "Aim points" first? The top "Aim points" are barely above the middle "Red" one I was using at that distance.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It really is trial and error at first.  You want the five pins to be able to span the range where you intend to do the most of your shooting.  The lower pins will be for your furthest shots.  The top two will be for your close shots.  The pins will be closer to each other at the top and will have greater distance apart as you move down the pins.  That is because your arrows will drop more at distance.  Once you start playing with it and moving the pins, you'll pick it up easily since you can already shoot tight groups.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]
In short, always remember; "Follow the arrow."
If the arrow hits high, move your pin up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dorobuta] [#5]
cool. have fun with it
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
No sense creating a new thread for my question:

What ranges do you guys use for closest/top pin?

This is my first year with a bow.  So far, I've only worked the top pin at 15yds.  I'm still pretty open on groups (2-3") and I've decided that I really need a peep.  Since that is going to throw everything off, I'll be resetting everything (shaft is no longer 90° to string from all the tweaking I did.)

I've heard mention that 9yds for the top pin is good, with the center at about 25yds.  How do you guys select the ranges?  If I sight a top pin at 9yds, do I just keep marching back to set ranges and move the pin to the arrow?  If so, what kind of increments should I look at?  I was thinking of dropping the bottom pin all the way down, then finding it's range through trial & error, then looking for logical settings between those pins for all mid ranges.

Also, what company could be considered the "go-to" supply house for online sales?  I had ordered a kevlar shooting glove from one place about 4 months ago, and they dropped off the face of the earth.  My local shop has a very limited selection, and the guy that runs it has already given me contradicting advice.  I'm not too sure I want to keep going there.  I do have a Dick's (Field & Stream,) but I really don't want to go in there.  Cabela's is too far away from me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WVHunter1s1k:
In short, always remember; "Follow the arrow."
If the arrow hits high, move your pin up.
View Quote

Exactly, that's the rule of thumb.
Sounds like you have 5 pins. I am sure you could use your 1st pin at 20yds then next 30 till your 5th pin is your 60yd pin. Not that you will ever use it but I am guessing if you went closer your pins would be stacked closer together and then you must remember what pin your to use and make sure you don't shoot with the wrong pin. Maybe a 3 pin sight would have been better to start out with or even a slider sight. But just be conscious of the yardage and what pin your to use.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot a 5 pin sight & a slider sight.
My 5 pin first pin (top) is 20yds, 2nd is 30, 3rd is 40, 4th is 50, and 5th is 60. I shoot 3D with it so I use all the pins. Now in a hunting situation I rarely shoot over 25yds, maybe my longest kill is 30yds. Majority is under 12yds for me.
Now my single pin when I hunt, I run 2 ways. If I want it fixed and never move it, I have it set at 27yds. So I know I am so many inches high under 27yds to 0 and at 40 yds I know how low I am holding dead on that I have 3 inch drop so within the kill zone. Now if I want to make my slider sight mobile, then I use the tapes and slide the sight accordingly to the animal I range him at.

As far as go to places, that is tough. I won't shop at a Cabela's ever. I have a few within 90 minutes to 2 hours from me. I have a Field & Stream and Gander Mountain minutes from my home. Majority of what I buy if from my local archery shop & support him. Service is better than a box store plus so much turnover at the box stores. You will have a guy here and there know what he's doing but rare and if so it's only 1. But then most the time he is working the day shift and gone when everyone comes in after work and you have the younger people working who are there to make some money & get a store discount.
You have to google looking for the best price, nobody has everything at the best price, some do some don't. I will tell you if you buy something off the internet and then take the item someplace to be installed, that is like a slap in the dealers face and you'll be charged accordingly for the work and in the end it would been probably cheaper to have bought the item from the archery or gun shop cause they then wouldn't charge for installing, most do not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You're in Western PA.  Where's your local shop?  I live in Ross and work in Warrendale.  I do all my rifle hunting around Evans City, and the bow will open up the little stand behind my house.  I got tired of all my neighbors pulling the bucks out of my yard while I got skunked up north.

I'm going to run this year just shooting in the yard, 25yds.  Time to build muscle memory.  150-200 shots per week.

For online supply, I was looking for the archery equivalent of a Midway, Brownells, PSA, etc...  Arrows & broadheads & whatnot. The only bow work I need for now is to put on a peep.  Then, maybe a tune in early Sept for Oct hunt.  I've been burned once already when I tried to order a kevlar shooting glove from some place called "Save Outdoor Sports."  Placed the order then then acted like all the fly-by-night magazine suppliers: no email contact, never answer the phone.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Erie.
Shop I go to is Dave's Archery in North East. He will be tuning my new Hoyt Nitrum30. It's nice cause he will also put it on the Hooter Shooter to dial it in. A tune is like $25 bucks.
Honestly, for online stuff I google for what I am looking for if I can't get it at Dave's. Then I will go on eBay. Heck darn near all my electronics come from eBay. Just for my boat, I saved $500 bucks buying my new Humminbird 1198 fish finder off eBay than from a store or internet. Now that was 4 years ago but like I said, I get my electronics and other stuff new off eBay. Electronics esp cause they are replaced so quick by a new generation upgrade by years end.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I went from a 3 pin to a 5 pin recently after getting a new setup.

I set my pins up at 20yds, 30yds and 40 yds... Still haven't gotten around to setting up the other two but frankly I don't trust myself beyond 30-40yds right now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tlawdogg:
Excellent,
Should I move the entire sights up first or mess with the "Aim points" first? The top "Aim points" are barely above the middle "Red" one I was using at that distance.
Thanks!
View Quote

The top most pin is your 20 yard pin. The bottom most on a 5 pin is typically 60 yards.

get your 20 yard pin sighted in.

then your 30, followed by your 40. if by the time you get to the 50 or 60 yd pin and you are bottoming out, you will need to lower the sight cage and start over.

I shoot a single pin, so for me, the process is different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top