Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2012 9:06:46 PM EDT
I am on the verge of getting a Z7 and am giving serious consideration to getting a single pin sight to go with the faster bow.  Recommendations?  

I am looking primarily at HHA and Sword's offerings, users opinions welcome.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 3:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VBC] [#1]
I have an HHA OL-5510, which is the 1-5/8" housing, 0.10" pin and 5-feet of fiber optic with the rheostat to adjust the brightness.  It's plenty bright.  Just as bright as a 0.19 pin, but a much finer aiming point.

I LOVE that sight.  I use a 1/4" Fletcher Tru-Peep with it and it hugs the sight housing just right on my 32" axle-to-axle Hoyt at 28.5" drawlength.

Aim small, miss small.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.  The more research I do, the more I lean towards HHAs offerings.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:11:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VBC] [#3]
You're welcome.  The HHAs are the real deal.    Good luck with what you end up getting.

One thing to note though is that if you use a quiver that is attached to the sight mounting plate, the slider/dial type single pins, like the HHA, will require two spacers to mount your quiver (they're included with the sight).  This will cause the quiver to stick out from the bow about a 1/2" further than it normally would.  

If you mainly shoot with quiver off bow, then this is no big deal.  But if you prefer to shoot with quiver on bow, then it'll throw off the balance of the bow a little more.

I used to shoot with quiver off bow when I got into my stand, but I had my quiver fall out of the stand last season, so no more of that.   Quiver stays on bow.

To get around the balance and sight clearance issue, I put a fixed two-piece quiver on my bow that attaches to the top and bottom of the riser.  This allows me to mount the quiver up close to the bow to keep it balanced.  The side benefit of shooting with quiver on is that it also acts like a stabilizer on the bow.

They also make the Tight Spot quiver and others that mount to the sight plate and can be adjusted up close to the bow.  Those might be an option too.  Just have to be mindful of the slider or dial clearance on the sight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know, I never thought about the quiver being interfered with by the slider.

If I am in the blind, I shoot with it off.  In the treestand or stalking, I use it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, thats always been my gripe about bow hunting, the clogged sight picture......
Now that I am on the verge of getting a Z7 or a HeliM, I think a single pin with little change in drop will be the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
*Update*

I purchased a Sword Centurian for my HeliM, love it!
The thing is rock solid, the slider is excellent, and I can shoot tight groups at 50!

Guys, if you have never tried a single pin sight and are considering it, I highly recommend the Centurian!
I cant imagine shooting WITH a multipin now!
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
*Update*

I purchased a Sword Centurian for my HeliM, love it!
The thing is rock solid, the slider is excellent, and I can shoot tight groups at 50!

Guys, if you have never tried a single pin sight and are considering it, I highly recommend the Centurian!
I cant imagine shooting WITH a multipin now!

I know they are pricey, but I have a Matthews helim, and I switched to a trigicon single pin and will never go back. I have no issues!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top