Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2017 12:50:42 AM EDT
I decide to get back into archery.  I needed some cheap practice arrows, so I went into Cabela's.  I told the salesman I wanted some cheap practice arrows for a recurve.  He handed me a box of arrows for $100.00 and said tips are extra.   I handed them back and said no thanks and left.    
Was I wrong in thinking that that was way out of line?
I have not pulled a bow in 30 yrs.  The arrows I have are in bad shape.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I buy Easton Carbon Storm arrows at Dunham's for $30 / 6 pack as my practice/target arrows. I've found anything cheaper just isn't worth it. If you're really hard up and know what size and spine you need to can get pre-cuts at china-mart... sorry I mean walmart for $3 - $4 each.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah he's stupid, no more than $60 a box for traditional arrows.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
What length, how heavy, what spine?  Obviously the clerk at Cabelas is not what's you call an expert at archery, go to an archery shop at least you'll get something specific to your bow.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]
We really need to know the draw weight to give advice. A 60# hunting bow needs good arrows. For a 15# fiberglass bow, you can get cheap Chinese arrows off Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I just counted my bows.   I have 5.  I am am starting with the 35 lb recurve.  I picked up cheap walmart arrows to day.   These will work just fine for what I want.   When I move up to my 50lb recurve or my 80 lb longbow I will get the arrows I need for that bow.   My wife will be able to use these arrows as well.   After not pulling a bow for a really long time I am starting out light.  Getting old sucks.   I was sore after only 20 minutes the other day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Me personally, I don't believe in "practice" arrows, be they "cheap" or not. Just like the ammo for my hunting rifles, I "practice" with the same exact arrow/ammo I hunt with. That said, the sales associate could've been much more helpful but that's par for the course at Big Box retailers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Me personally, I don't believe in "practice" arrows, be they "cheap" or not. Just like the ammo for my hunting rifles, I "practice" with the same exact arrow/ammo I hunt with. That said, the sales associate could've been much more helpful but that's par for the course at Big Box retailers.
View Quote
You're either extremely wealthy or you don't shoot much. I got a late start practicing this year due to work and have already gone through 7 arrows in the last 2 months preparing for season. I even split one the other day from 75 yds. That would've been a $70+ loss in arrows this season if I didn't have cheaper practice arrows but instead its only a $45 loss.. I've only split one good one so far since switching over to my hunting sticks and broadheads. YMMV
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top