Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 7/23/2016 4:14:38 PM EDT
I moved up to the mountains finally and am currently pursuing my off the grid dream lifestyle. Currently on month one. No city power sewer or water. Got a nice 6 mile dirt drive to the house off of the hardball.
Now i am in perfect position to do daily archery practice and get ready for bow season.

I need help picking out a new bow. It will be used for bear and deer.
I prefer something that i can shoot a pretty decent distance for practice. I have around a 400 yard clearing to play with.

Looking for a draw weight from 70-90lbs or more. I have quite significant upper body strength.

Price id like to keep around 2k for bow sights and whatever i need to get practicing including a few dozen arrows to get going.
Thanks

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
archerytalk.com is a great archery forum.  Sort of lost interest over the last couple years.  Should shoot before you buy, although I didn't always follow that advice.  Learn to be your own bow mechanic.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep; try as many as you can, it's mostly all just personal preference. Also 70# will do whatever you need; you may be able to handle 90#'s now but many years down the road your body may pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Im gonna go try a few next time I wander into Redding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
archerytalk.com is a great archery forum.  Sort of lost interest over the last couple years.  Should shoot before you buy, although I didn't always follow that advice.  Learn to be your own bow mechanic.  Good luck.
View Quote

Will do that for sure
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I think with a 2K budget you will be able to outfit yourself nicely.  As said, shoot several bows before you make a decision.  When you shoot one that feels good and you shoot well, then that's it, even though it may not be the flavor of the month.  Mine is going on 5 yrs old and I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest.  Find a archery shop that is interested in setting you up and not selling all the useless accessories.  Also, learn to fletch your own arrows.  I've saved a lot of money doing my own arrows over the years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think with a 2K budget you will be able to outfit yourself nicely.  As said, shoot several bows before you make a decision.  When you shoot one that feels good and you shoot well, then that's it, even though it may not be the flavor of the month.  Mine is going on 5 yrs old and I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest.  Find a archery shop that is interested in setting you up and not selling all the useless accessories.  Also, learn to fletch your own arrows.  I've saved a lot of money doing my own arrows over the years.
View Quote

Thank you. I defiantly will be shooting before buying.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely check out Archerytalk.

Lots of great bows nowadays that are really advanced. I'd say there's not a vast difference in features/quality among the higher end brand-named bows.

My personal opinion only-I'd look at Mathews or Bowtech but that's just my personal preference.  Get whatever suits you best and enjoy.  

Learn to do your own tuning.  You'll need to become self-sufficient.  Purchase a press, an arrow saw, and other implements so you can do your own riggin out in the field.  Also get a DVD or some books on tuning and rigging a bow.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont think you will need over 70lbs with modern bows. My bow is about 7 years old and have no need to replace it so im not up on the latest and greatest. I like long axel to axil target style bow for tournaments and hunting. Ive had most bow companies bow but I prefer bowtech. Hoyt seems to have the best customer service.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top