Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2015 12:38:05 AM EDT
Holy sweet mother...  I found my next bow.

First the Defiant - Very nice draw.  There is a bit of a hump at the end but nothing at all drastic.  Decent valley.  Very well balanced.  A surprising amount of vibration and shock on the shot though...was not at all impressed there.  I've heard the carbon is a little better but 1,500 dollars vs 1,000 dollars for the aluminum when the carbon version is still 3.8lbs?  Nope...  I really wanted to love this bow as I think it's the best looking mainline bow on the market now.  Especially since I would have been going with the Defiant Turbo which I'm sure has even worse handshock. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice bow and Hoyt fans won't be disappointed but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it without test firing it first(not that I would for any bow but this one especially).

Now the Halon - I've never been a Mathews guy...  Personally I think most of their bows are fuck ugly and I've never really loved anything they've had to offer.  Anything they have that shoots oh so nice also shoots oh so slow....  When I saw an IBO of 345 on the 6" riser Halon I thought hmmm...might be worth a look.  I actually thought the draw on the Halon wasn't as nice as the Hoyt but that's personal preference.  It still has a damn nice draw.  The backwall is almost rock solid.  Probably too solid for guys like my dad that like I little give at the backwall to assist with their backtention release style.  The shot?  Fuck..so quiet...so so quiet for a bow thats shooting close to 350IBO.  And absolutely dead in the hand.  I will absolutely be buying a Halon 6 as my next bow.  They also offer a 5" and 7" riser.  The 5" riser has an IBO of 352 I believe and the 7" is in the 330's.  It also looks damn good in person and at 1099MSRP it's not too horribly priced.  Shooters in Racine, WI had them on the shelve for 999.  The only downside is it is a bit of a pig.  4.8lbs?  Come on Mathews...  It balances very well at full draw but I wouldn't mine them shaving a half a pound off the thing...though I'm sure they would have if they could have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no 'speed freak' but when a draw length of 26.5" a fast IBO really helps me keep the speed tolerable with higher grain hunting arrows.  Then again my buddy has a 27 inch draw length and shoots 200 grain arrows with 75grain tips and has blasted through shoulders with his RPM 360 but I'd be hesitant to throw anything that light at a whitetail..  THEN AGAIN..physics is physics and he's crunched the numbers and his setup is throwing about 66.xxft/lbs of force which is more than enough.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Im going to be trying a halon 5 this winter hopefully. At 25-25.5" draw length it should still give me some speed for a change.  At least more than my 7+" brace height bow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im going to be trying a halon 5 this winter hopefully. At 25-25.5" draw length it should still give me some speed for a change.  At least more than my 7+" brace height bow.
View Quote

The only thing that gets me is, I've shot my dads Heli-m which has a 7" brace height.  It only shoots 2-3fps slower IBO than the Halon 7 and the Halon 7 weighs 1lb more and honestly, they both shot just as nice...

It's still a damn nice bow though!  I'm going to keep shopping around a bit though before I write any checks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's funny you're comparing the two finalists for me as well.  I felt just the opposite and went with the Hoyt 34. I did like the Matthews draw a little better and it felt lighter. However, I thought the Hoyt was smoother and I definitely shot it better.   It was really great to be able to shoot both as it's such a subjective thing.

I love my Hoyt and can't wait for September.  Good luck with yours!
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I decided on getting my first Matthews this spring (been shooting a Hoyt for the past few years).  

I originally came to the shop wanting to look at a Z3 but ended up shooting the Halon 6 and No Cam HTR and No Cam HTX too.

After shooting the latter three, the Z3 was no longer in the running.  Ultimately, I went home with the No Cam HTX just because it's a lighter more compact bow and that's what I'm looking for, primarily for a tree stand bow.

But I had a very hard time choosing between it and the Halon 6.  The Halon 6 is so smooth and shock free, but it does feel like a chunky bow with those thick limbs and pockets.  Other than that it's the same riser in the Halon and HTX.  

After having shot the HTX for the past 2 months now, I love it.   I just slapped a QAD Ultra Rest on it and set center shot to the same mark like in the Matthews catalog.   I've never seen a bow shoot a bare shaft so straight.   Fixed broadheads group exactly with my field points out to 60 yards (farthest I've shot it).

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
i realllly want to try the halon 6 . i have a z7 now and it has done everything i could ask

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant. It had a bit of vibration and the string was loud. But it felt the best to me. Shot a couple hundred arrows through it, had the cams timed and a tune. Now it's super quiet, no vibration at all. I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor. Most likely that's all the bow needs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
last mathews was a no cam... no likey

Halon? me likey
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you had the chance to shoot the Bowtech Reign yet?  I've always shied away  from BT due to the higher than normally reported limb issues, but this year indicates that's all over and done with now.

Every year I try out bows to see if it's worth upgrading from my Switchback XT.  Don't get me wrong, the new bows are definitely nicer, but none have had we wanting to shell out a grand to upgrade.

This year, both my cam bearings were shot, and I was due for a string.  My choice was to spend a couple hundred on my bow to get it up and going again, or sell it for maybe $200 and purchase a new bow.

Well off to the store I went.  Tried the Pro/Carbon Def, Halon, and Wake...again walked out without a new bow, and had new parts on order with the shop instead.

I was back a couple weeks later, and decided to give the Bowtech a whirl...man what a bow!  I told the tech if he had put that in my hand a few weeks back and made me shoot it, he would have made a sale.

So now I'm still shooting my trusty SB XT, but saving pennies for a new Bowtech.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I just shot both bows except I shot the carbon model of the Hoyt.

I mostly agree with your assessment of the draw cycle of both. The Mathews I shot had a 75% cam so there was a bit of a hump in the cycle and a "sprong" when it rolled over. The Mathews is very quiet the shot but only marginally more quiet than the Hoyt. I didn't shoot the Al version of the Hoyt but didn't really find the hand shock of the carbon bow much worse than the Mathews. The deciding factor for me was the weight, 1 lb makes a difference in the mountains. Both bows are great bows and I have owned Mathews for the last 13 years but the Hoyt won me over this time
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I decided to purchase the carbon defiant 34 mainly due to the extremely consistent and smooth draw cycle. I have been pegged during the draw cycle and that is a tough situation. With a hump it is nearly impossible to pause while an animal passes. Hopefully I don't get stuck in that situation again but if I do I stand a chance with this bow.

Oh, did I say it was accurate? This is the first 4 arrows I shot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot the Carbon Defiant and the Halon this evening. Ordered the Carbon Defiant.

The Halon is fucking heavy compared to the Carbon Defiant. Also, the Defiant felt totally dead in my hand when I shot it. Zero vibration, compared to the Halon's feel. My older Mission X4 bow actually felt better than the new Mathews Halon, crazy as that sounds.

I went into the shop completely intending to purchase the Mathews Halon and didn't even consider the Hoyt until I picked up the Halon and felt it's weight. The Halon is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and believe it or not this was actually a consideration for me, superficial as it might be. I really, really wanted to like the Mathews.

Carbon Defiant for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you are going to like that bow. I finally shot mine out to 50yds and even at 50 it is grouping really well. With broad heads at 50 two were touching and one was 11/2" left, all right on the money! This is the first bow I have shot with a stabilizer. I had a 10" one mounted and it really helps at longer ranges. The whole setup was not cheap but the results are well worth it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I stopped by the local Hoyt Dealer and looked at a few Defiants and the Halon 32. Always been a Hoyt guy, I mean like for 25 years :) - in fact I wasn't event going to look at the Halon but figured while I was there...  Anyway I didn't shoot either as I wasn't buying today (roof needs attention thanks to IRMA so got to get that sorted first) but did give then a good once-over and a few pulls.  I looked at the Carbon and Alum models, 31 and 34", plus the Halon.  Guy said Halon was killing everything else sales-wise.  From initial impressions I like the Carbon but the Halon had very smooth pull, and hard wall, and hardly any valley - I see why it is so popular.  It was kinda heavy though, even compared to the Alum Hoyt's.  85% hold is kinda nice, but kinda odd feeling at the same time, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'll likely go back in a few weeks and try to shoot each, and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I fondled a Halon right before season started here this year. I didn't draw it and the shop was way too busy to ask since I wasn't going to buy. I like the way they look but wondered how they shoot. I may have to go shoot one this winter. Nothing wrong with my creed it shoots just fine but always like something new.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
This is probably the least biased bow thread I've read on the internet.  Very refreshing.  I've always been a Mathews guy, starting with a Q2 followed by the Monster 7 I've been shooting for the past 5 or 6 years.  I've been considering a new bow for next year, and the Pro Defiant and Halon 32 are at the top.  I've shot the Halon and was very impressed.  The Hoyt will really have to shine to get me to switch brands.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I stopped by the local Hoyt Dealer and looked at a few Defiants and the Halon 32. Always been a Hoyt guy, I mean like for 25 years :) - in fact I wasn't event going to look at the Halon but figured while I was there...  Anyway I didn't shoot either as I wasn't buying today (roof needs attention thanks to IRMA so got to get that sorted first) but did give then a good once-over and a few pulls.  I looked at the Carbon and Alum models, 31 and 34", plus the Halon.  Guy said Halon was killing everything else sales-wise.  From initial impressions I like the Carbon but the Halon had very smooth pull, and hard wall, and hardly any valley - I see why it is so popular.  It was kinda heavy though, even compared to the Alum Hoyt's.  85% hold is kinda nice, but kinda odd feeling at the same time, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'll likely go back in a few weeks and try to shoot each, and go from there.
View Quote
So I went back, looked at the new Hoyt RX line, nice bows but nothing earth-shattering over the Defiant line imo... There are a few changes, but I wasn't on board with the split cables ZT setup, will let some other folks flesh that out first :).  Plus the price increase and a weight increase, and the whole "longer effected ATA" due to cam design is a bunch of bunk as everyone knows by now.  Hoyt is getting a bit greedy as well imo, and this is all coming from a Fanboy.  I thought about a Defiant as they were of course on sale now but due to their #2 cam issues and requirement of custom limb adapters to press... I passed on it as well.  Honestly I'm not sure Hoyt has produced anything better than the '14/'15 Nitrum/Spyder/Factor line to date - those are some solid bows.

So I wound up with the Halon 32.  First Mathews I've owned, but am fantastically pleased with it.  Zero shock, beautiful pull, no sudden peaks and smooth drop into the valley... and I swear the arrow hitting the target is louder than the bow firing.  I know that's not actually possibly, but it sure seems that way lol.  It is a tad heavier as I'm used to shooting a Hoyt Carbon, but not so heavy for my Southern uses - ie truck - range - truck - home - truck - treestand etc :).  Not a lot of distance to hump compared to say out west.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
That's my biggest reservation with the Halon.  There are lighter options out there and a lot of times I'm looking at a 1-3 mile hike into the woods with a hang on stand on my back, backpack hanging off the front, and a bow resting on the backpack.

Although I've been doing it for years with a PSE Brute X for years which is a pig.

I'm just trying to find a reason to not go with the Halon really.  I don't know why but it just doesn't appeal to me.  For years I was dead set on a speed bow being my next setup with a light draw weight for hunting.  My draw length is stupid short(like..26.5") so I was really interested in shit like the PSE Full Throttle or Xpedition Xcentric SD.

The more I think about it the more I realize I need to just grow up and give up on the fascination with speed.  The IBO on the Halon isn't bad at all(granted I'll be nowhere near it with my short little arms ), its just a damn nice shooter.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's my biggest reservation with the Halon.  There are lighter options out there and a lot of times I'm looking at a 1-3 mile hike into the woods with a hang on stand on my back, backpack hanging off the front, and a bow resting on the backpack.

Although I've been doing it for years with a PSE Brute X for years which is a pig.

I'm just trying to find a reason to not go with the Halon really.  I don't know why but it just doesn't appeal to me.  For years I was dead set on a speed bow being my next setup with a light draw weight for hunting.  My draw length is stupid short(like..26.5") so I was really interested in shit like the PSE Full Throttle or Xpedition Xcentric SD.

The more I think about it the more I realize I need to just grow up and give up on the fascination with speed.  The IBO on the Halon isn't bad at all(granted I'll be nowhere near it with my short little arms ), its just a damn nice shooter.
View Quote
Yeah I've dropped from 70 to 60 and don't miss it one bit lol.   I'm a 28", but run 27.5" mods as Halons are notorious for being 1/2" long.  If purely a hunting rig and covering that distance take a look at the new Triax, everybody is raving over it and it's balanced better than the H32 I've read... plus a bit lighter and shorter ATA.  Heck anything over 280's with a Fixed Blade BH is harder to tune and can get squirrelly as well anyway.  Speed is fun for 3D but for hunting I don't like too much speed to be honest.

Or, just pickup a used Hoyt Carbon Spyder or Carbon Spyder Turbo - you won't be disappointed... makes IBO speed or better, lighter than current Carbon RX, and (imo) better cams.  I'll likely look around for one myself as well :).  '14's have slightly more aggressive Z5 cams, cam easily make 7-10 over IBO.  '15's ZT cams are slightly less aggressive - more "user friendly" I'd say, and they changed to the flex roller guard as well, and will make IBO easily.  So really it's which cams and if you are in the flex roller guard camp or not :).   Either should prob run in the $500-600 range for a nice condition used bow, maybe even a few extras.

A word of caution on Hoyt if you are not familiar, they have a range (usually 2-3") of DL per cam, but outside of that range, it requires cams and string swap, so you don't want that.  So make sure you are in the correct cam, it might be a #1 cam or #2 cam depending on model - For instance the Spyder 30" @  26.5" would be middle of cam #2, but on the longer 34" ATA @ 26.5" would be max on cam #1.  So that would be perfect for you, the 34" Spyder, either year, with #1 cam at 26.5" DL so you get max cam efficiency and best valley due to being at the "top" of the DL range.  Also, the Turbo version of each is a more aggressive and 3/4" less brace height which give you more speed (350 vs 330), but you wind up in middle of the #2 cam for both years so you loose a bit of cam efficiency which will cost some speed and valley.  By going with the Non-Turbo Spyder in 34" you will have max efficiency on #1 cam so the speed difference of standard Spyder vs Spyder Turbo will be lessened to the point of not really being worth it (maybe 10 fps) considering the lower brace height with thicker clothing and colder weather up North, as well as the harder draw cycle, again due to cold up there.  Down here in Florida, not so much an issue :).

I'd suggest the 2014 (better cams that exceed 330 IBO when properly tuned) Carbon Spyder 34" with #1 Cams for your 26.5" DL... Pretty much a perfect fit and you'll get max efficiency out of it.

Anyway, sorry to drone on, typed way more than I intended, but once I start talking shop I just start rambling on lol...
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah I was looking at the Triax.  Seems like it would be a great hunting bow, especially for me.  Humping all sorts of gear miles into the woods and I do a lot of ground blind hunting.

I do shoot a lot of 3d though and I just can't see a 28" ATA bow being that forgiving outside of 40 yards...  I have not shot one yet though but I plan on giving one a try before writing any checks.  Right now I'm strongly leaning towards the Halon 5 or 6(really need to look into how big of a difference there is between the two and, hopefully, give them both a try myself), or possibly the Triax.

I know I like the way the Halon shoots A LOT.  I really want to like the Triax as it would be a great hunting bow but that's just way shorter than I'd feel comfortable with without taking one out the range first.

If I can find a used Carbon Spyder that I could actually test out without buying blind I'll definitely give it a try though.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah that's why I didn't get/wait for the Triax... a 28" bow just isn't what I wanted.  Fine for a dedicated hunting rig probably, but for an all around bow I like a longer ATA.  One last thing re 5/6, I bought a Halon 32 5 first, and took it back the next day and swapped for the 6.  I know plenty of folks like the 5, but here is hardly any room for your wrist in there with that low BH.  Add on some hunting clothing, gloves, etc and it is dang near impossible not to get some contact.  There is actually very little FPS difference between the 5/6, and the 7 for that matter.  I would definitely try to shoot the 5 with some representative clothing on your arm and upper body before buying.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah that's why I didn't get/wait for the Triax... a 28" bow just isn't what I wanted.  Fine for a dedicated hunting rig probably, but for an all around bow I like a longer ATA.  One last thing re 5/6, I bought a Halon 32 5 first, and took it back the next day and swapped for the 6.  I know plenty of folks like the 5, but here is hardly any room for your wrist in there with that low BH.  Add on some hunting clothing, gloves, etc and it is dang near impossible not to get some contact.  There is actually very little FPS difference between the 5/6, and the 7 for that matter.  I would definitely try to shoot the 5 with some representative clothing on your arm and upper body before buying.
View Quote
Big thanks for that heads up!  As I like to bowhunt late season all the way till mid January(when our season ends).  More than a few occasions I've sat out in well below 0 temps up in a tree.  Bet your ass I've got at least 5 layers on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wrapped up late season with my Diamond Edge SB-1 and I’m looking to upgrade for the next season. I’ve shot just about every bow available. All at 27.5-29” length depeneding on what they had and 70#.

Triax felt nice, wasn’t too fond of the string angle but had a nice draw, shot quiet as all get out and was dead in the hand just like reviews say.

The Halon 32 for me had a ridiculously uncomfortable draw. I found it heavy starting out and heavy to hold. At full draw.

The Realm and Realm X surprised me. I really didn’t think to even try them. Smooth draw, solid back wall and shot really well. Still though, the bowtech reputation irked me with the exploding limbs and what not.

Finally the Hoyts. Shot the hyperforce and RX1. Basically the same bows but aluminum can carbon obviously. After shooting all of these bows I kept coming back to these. The draw with these new cams felt so much better than the Mathews. The RX1 for as light as it was shot almost if not as dead as the Triax. It was impressive.

Honestly I went into the shop wanting a Halon 32. They didn’t have one in stock and called me Saturday saying one was in. I was really disappointed in the feel vs the Hoyts. However, I’m happy the Hoyt shoots so well. I do wish they had some of the Pro and Carbon Defiants left in stock because I’d like to pick up a used one. But it looks like my bow for next year will most likely be a Hyperforce.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had the Hoyt Pro Defiant and really liked it. Shot great. A year later tho, I shot an Elite Ritual and sold the Hoyt Pro Defiant. The Hoyt shot great, the Elite just seemed to be in a different class. No vibration or dampeners needed. The let off on mine is 3lbs. It's amazing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are sticking with aluminum riser. Try the realm and realm. Way better IMO. For the same price range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a Mathews Heli-M that felt incredible to shoot. Dead silent. No hand shock. Super sweet, easy draw cycle.

But that 30" axle to axle was too short for me. I discovered that a repeatable anchor was *much* easier at 32" or greater A to A. I ended up going Bowtech with a 32".

I do miss the nice characteristics because they were so sweet with that bow, but I made a promise to always get that longer A to A.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top