Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 12/2/2015 5:28:51 AM EDT
Anyone here shoot a "speed bow?"  Any suggestions on bows to check out?  Also for those of you that have recently switched from a standard hunting or target bow to a speed bow what was your experience?

I've been looking at the PSE Full Throttle.  Not really sure what's how on the market right now but I know speed bow technology has come a long way and they actually shoot quite nice now.  I'd really like to close my pin gap up a bit(actually I'm planning on switching over to a single pin for hunting so I really want to close that gap up).

edit:  Also really interested in the APA King Kobra TF but I haven't found an APA dealer in my area.

edit2:  I've been reading that some guys have had issue with cable stretch with the Full Throttle and have had to upgrade to 60x cables.  Can't find anywhere if PSE has addressed that for 2016
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
People have had problems with strings derailing off cams also for 15, not sure if any corrections have been done for 16 models. Check out OB, smooth draw, dead quiet, perfect repeatable and comfortable grip, finishes are crazy nice, top notch warranty, and customer service us beyond excellent!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone here shoot a "speed bow?"  Any suggestions on bows to check out?  Also for those of you that have recently switched from a standard hunting or target bow to a speed bow what was your experience?

I've been looking at the PSE Full Throttle.  Not really sure what's how on the market right now but I know speed bow technology has come a long way and they actually shoot quite nice now.  I'd really like to close my pin gap up a bit(actually I'm planning on switching over to a single pin for hunting so I really want to close that gap up).

edit:  Also really interested in the APA King Kobra TF but I haven't found an APA dealer in my area.

edit2:  I've been reading that some guys have had issue with cable stretch with the Full Throttle and have had to upgrade to 60x cables.  Can't find anywhere if PSE has addressed that for 2016
View Quote

I have a PSE Brute that, while not a true "speed bow." was pretty fast in its day. I find it rather harsh to draw (the peak weight seems to be a lot longer) due to the (more) eccentric cams and the overall draw curve is not nearly as smooth as a "regular" bow. If you can get into an archery shop and take a few shots on a demo, I would recommend that prior to actually buying one. Personally, I much prefer a "regular" bow as shooting the faster bows feels a lot heavier overall. It becomes a workout.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Full Throttle is still pretty harsh to draw IMO...although the last one I drew was in 2014 I think...

I'm not a speed freak though...I'd much rather have an easy to draw bow in the 335-340ibo than a FT.

My Elite E32 is exactly that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Full Throttle is still pretty harsh to draw IMO...although the last one I drew was in 2014 I think...

I'm not a speed freak though...I'd much rather have an easy to draw bow in the 335-340ibo than a FT.

View Quote

I just bought a 15 PSE full throttle off of ebay...don't mind the draw at all.

Paired it with a trophy ridge react....holy shit it's freaking awesome
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're getting lazy is it at all forgiving when you creep?

My only concern with the harsh draw is being drawn down on a deer and having to hold.  Holding isn't a problem but I am worried if I am too focused on the deer and not on holding the bow back the valley might not be forgiving enough to save it from a very violent, loud let down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My only concern with the harsh draw is being drawn down on a deer and having to hold.  Holding isn't a problem but I am worried if I am too focused on the deer and not on holding the bow back the valley might not be forgiving enough to save it from a very violent, loud let down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zero valley on the FT I shot.  Now I know this can be messed with a bit, but speed bows with speed cams are going to take off on you.

One of the big reasons I didn't hunt with it.  I chased speed for a long time and in the end, found it just wasn't worth it in a hunting bow.  I want a bow that's going to hold for several minutes if I have to, draws super smooth, but still has decent power.

My E32 with a 430gr arrow is right at 300 fps.  PLENTY for whitetail with a big mechanical, Elk with a good fixed blade, Moose with a heavier arrow and a good 2 blade.  E32 is NOT a speed bow, however it does draw extremely smooth, no hump to get over, a massive valley you feel like you have to push the bow forward to let down, and is super quiet.  Not trying to pimp Elite...there are lots of bows that match these features, but none of them are 'speed' bows.

Nothing wrong with the FT, and it was fun seeing the numbers on the chrono...but in practice, I sold it pretty quick.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the poster said above me is accurate...very shallow valley

You can get long valley stops for it that helps I hear.

I am coming from a PSE surge which has a similar let off. I like the FT because I can lower the draw weight, which helps tame it a bit, but it is still pretty fast. Has a short brace height but I haven't even noticed.

My only complaint so far is the timing is off and I need to get new strings for it already...I hear it is common with this bow
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top