Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2014 6:19:10 PM EDT
My wife and I have shot together for years.  We were competitive sporting clays shooters for over a decade.  She's been out of competitive shooting for quite a while, but is accurate with just about anything she picks up.  A few times in the past year she's commented that it would be nice to have a bow so that we could shoot in the backyard.  I've got a good 50 yard shooting lane possible, although it would be about 15 feet downhill.  I've been out of the bow game for 25 years, but I shot a ton with my dad and brother back in the late 80's.

A few weeks ago she said she'd like a bow for Christmas.  I'm not going to let this opportunity pass by.  I'm not going to buy one of the Bass Pro packages, I'd like to buy a bare bow and set it up with accessories she chooses.  Problem is, she's never shot a compound.  I've got no idea about draw length or weight.  I'd like this to be a surprise, so I'm planning on having a bow under the tree, then taking her the following week to a pro shop to get it set up for her.

My wife has ZERO interest in hunting.  Her archery would be target only.  There are a number of indoor and outdoor ranges in the area, and my rifle club also has 3D targets and a walking course.  I'd expect that we'd most likely be target only, although I would like the capability to go up north and hunt with my dad and brother again.

My family has been shooting Mathews for the past while and really enjoys them, so I've been directed towards Mission.  I'm coming down between the Riot and the Flare.  The Craze felt too small - my wife is a tall woman at about 5' 10".  The pro shop told me that bows such as the Craze and Riot traded some arrow speed for the extreme adjustability.  Looking at the specs on the Flare, it appears that my wife is highly likely to fall in the range represented by that bow.  I'm leaning heavily towards the Flare.  Thoughts/comments?

While I was at the pro shop, the owner had me shoot the Mathews NoCam HTR.  Holy hell that bow was smooth.  Completely unlike the old PSE cam bow I used last in 1992.  I do not need a $1000 bow.  I do not need a $1000 bow....
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Bows are like cars. High precedent the first year. Drops quickly after that. I bet you can find a year or 2 old now cheap at BPS or cabelas. Or another option is buying on CL. Just make sure you replace the string if buying on CL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top