Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
My son got a recurve bow last year with 6 fiberglass target point arrows.  Of course, with a small back yard at least 3 of them have sailed over the fence to the neighbor's yard.  So I'm looking for replacement arrows that I won't mind losing more of.  I'd like the following:

• Minimum 30" length - the current arrows are 26", he is already over-drawing by 2", and he's not done growing - he's 14 years old and 6'1"

• Spine for a 30# draw weight

• Inexpensive

Desirable features:

• Wooden construction, so when the neighbor runs over them with his mower it won't be life threatening

• Replaceable points, as I'd like to occasionally replace the points with field tips with grass-catchers

• Did I mention inexpensive?

I'm looking for brand and store recommendations.  I get C&R discounts at various places (Brownells's, etc) and am a Sportsman's Guide club member.

And if I sound like I don't know what I'm doing, I don't - rifle hunter here, only ever shot a bow in cub scouts.  So be gentle if I'm asking a stupid and or contradictory questions.

Thanks
R2.0
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
For a 30lb bow I would seriously look into making my own from dowels.

You can use pistol brass for blunt tips.

Better yet, teach HIM to make his own.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Consideration was given to such a plan.

But.....

His Mom wants to take him out for archery practice (don't ask me, I have no clue) and requested I procure arrows.  And like a doofus I said yes.  And piling them on top of his other projects would be counterproductive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you will find a wooden shaft with replaceable points cheap.

There are some fiberglass arrows on amazon for under $30 a dozen, that may be you cheapest option.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Free shipping thing from Sportsman's guide today, so I ordered the following:

• Goat Tuff High Performance Glue, 7 grams

• 12 - Pk. PDP® Easy - pull Points, 75 - grain

• 12 - Pk. Saunders Archery® Field Points, 9/32, 65 - grain

• Morrell® NASP Youth Target Replacement Cover

• 12-Pk. of Allen® Eliminator Arrows

They are 32" long, so there should be plenty there.  Biggest issue is that they are graphite and fiberglass, but I can live with that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to point out to the son that projectiles crossing property lines is a felony in some states.  That and he might damage a person that may seek to damage him back physically or financially.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rice:
You might want to point out to the son that projectiles crossing property lines is a felony in some states.  That and he might damage a person that may seek to damage him back physically or financially.
View Quote

Oh, we've had that chat already.  We're also going to rearrange the archery range a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top