Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2014 2:44:08 AM EDT
So I am going to start buying archery deer tags on the years I don't get drawn for deer here in AZ.  Always been a rifle hunter so I have zero experience bow hunting.  I know my state and know I can get shots at deer during the bow seasons here inside 50 yards no problem.  I just don't want to spend a shit load of money on a new compound bow I will only use once every other year or so if I don't have to.

What should I look for or look out for when buying something used?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Try to take this as helpful advice.  If you have ZERO experience bowhunting and only plan to do so every other year, then your ability judge distances correctly, hold steady enough, and possess the correct shooting form to consistently make 50 yard shots with broadheads under field conditions will most certainly not fall into the "no problem" category.

A much more realistic goal would be 25.

Do yourself a solid and get fitted for a bow by someone who has TONS of experience bowhunting.  If you don't want to spend a "shit ton of money," do yourself an even bigger solid and don't pick up bowhunting :)
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You should definitely get fitted for one first. Everyone want to say they have a 29" draw length when in reality most people are in the 27-28 range. Draw length is the most important thing you will need to know. And as far as staying cheep I'm with the poster above this is not a cheep sport. Also plan on practicing more then you shoot your guns just to stay on target. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in AZ are you? Depending on where you are, I can point you to a couple of good shops - two in the east valley, one in Phoenix that are good to deal with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top