Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
Looking to get into archery season this year and get a cross bow. My Father-In-Law has a Ten-Point that is super nice and I really like it. Looking for some advice on what to get and what to stay away with. Any advice is appreciated and I look forward to some helpful guidance. My budget is anywhere from $500-$1000. Thanks in advance!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the one I purchased two years ago...

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/barnett-recruit-compound-crossbow-package-15btturcrtcmpndxxabw/15btturcrtcmpndxxabw
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cviss:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/barnett-recruit-compound-crossbow-package-15btturcrtcmpndxxabw/15btturcrtcmpndxxabw
View Quote
I was looking at one of these at Cabelas today for the same reasons as OP.  What is your opinion/experience with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I was very surprised on the power of it.. I gave up using a bow and only use the crossbow now.. For the money its a great crossbow to see if would like to get into it or not.. and very capable of getting a deer with it it..

I got mine for 199.99 on sale at the time.. i think it was 399.99 when it came out..
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I own a older Horton vision175 . It has taken many deer and will be used for bear this year . While this is a "old" Horton (10yr old), it is still a tack driver . All I have done is change the string 2 years ago.

Horton is now owned by TenPoint , I have yet to handle the new crossbows that they are building but they look nicer than the older horton crossbows.  If I was to purchase a new crossbow , without a doubt it would be a  Vortec RDX or a Storm RDX.

If you plan to hunt from a ground blind the  uncocked 14.8" wide limbs come in handy , cocked is only 9" wide ...  

If these new Hortons shoulder anything like my 10yr old vision 175 it will be a dream to shoot.  These bows are compact without having the awkward front heavy crossbow feel .
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
No matter which crossbow you go with, make sure you get lighted nocks for it. With my regular compound I could always see where my arrow was going, with a crossbow the arrow is impossible for ME to see in flight without lighted nocks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Ten points are nice bows, shot my buddies last weekend.  But like all compound crossbows will need string replacement  and tuning eventually.  I bought an Excalibur 335 micro recurve crossbow and couldn't be happier, small enough to use in a ground blind, no cams cables or guides to break.  Best price for the kit was from walnut creek archery online.  $750.  Buy some luminocks and broadheads and you're done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I was fortunate enough to get an archery bull elk tag here in AZ this year. I borrowed a Barnett 410 and shot a nice little 5x5 bull with it.

I had a blast archery hunting this year and will be buying a crossbow this year so I can continue hunting. So keep the good ideas coming on what you like in a crossbow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
nice elk...
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]
crossbownation.com will have all the information you need to make an informed decision.  Dave at wyverncreations is a good source of information.  Good prices and he knows what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I went Excalibur for the low maintenance
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cviss:

View Quote
I just picked up a Recruit Terrain yesterday ($199 on closeout) - don't want to put a bunch of money into one until I see how I like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the Whitetail Hunter II.  The GD Wal-Mart deal thread has a complete listing.  AFAIK, most of the Barnetts are being clearance priced.  Expect bolts to go on clearance soon, so keep watching.

I like the WTHII.  It's got a nice trigger, cocks easily and is balanced well.  I also like the grip.  Everything you need is in the package- including the cocking rope and 2 bolts.  Scope is crap though.  It will get the job done, but too much of the sight picture is obscured by the reticle.  It's a loud unit, but don't think it's any more than other competing brands.

Most of the Barnett line is the same thing, with variations on camo being the most obvious.  I'm guessing the cams are the price difference.  I added a sling to mine and am looking for a new scope.  I have a few different bolts and I can tell a difference in the POI between them caused by the fletching and maker, but I can put all of them in a 2" circle at 25 yds. kneeling.  I'll try Blazer vanes soon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in the same boat.  I see a lot and trying to keep it under $600 but I get so many opinions it is tough.

I know Barnett is a good name, and I see a lot of good reviews on the SA Sports Beowoulf and the Centerpoint Sniper 370 is affordable.  This is a hard go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Shot the Terrain yesterday. I was very impressed. Very accurate. Zeroed 2nd line at 30, top line 3/4" low at 20, third line 1/2" high at 40, her it gets a bit off, 4th line was 4" high at 50. I did not try 60. I have no doubt with a solid rest I could hit a deer within an inch at 40yds of where I was aiming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top