Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 2:09:05 PM EDT
Ok, the title is the question - I know more is better....

What would be the minimum?  What is too much - something more it not always better.

Thanks,

Red
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I did find this answer on the Excalibur web page.....

Luckily it only takes about 30 foot lbs to go right through a deer, and after about 240 FPS at normal hunting ranges trajectory is virtually identical as speed increases. Hey, a little more thump sure doesn't hurt, but most of the time it's expended on trees, 'cause you can only go right through! Your hunting success isn't likely to suffer if you don't shoot the meanest bow on the block.
View Quote

Red

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stillcrazy] [#2]
Doesn't take much to kill a deer. Even the slower crossbows deliver enough FPS to pass through on a broadside shot. The advantage of a faster crossbow is there is more margin for error in being off in knowing the exact distance to the deer. Even with the fastest crossbows it's critical for the hunter to be close in knowing the exact range to the animal to deliver a killing shot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
My first crossbow did about 270 fps and I always had passthroughs. My current crossbow does 350fps and no matter how many ribs the arrows go through they always pass through. For killing a deer I can't imagine needing any more speed. I sent an arrow through a deer quartering away, it cut through four ribs going in, vertically through a rib going out and passed through. That bow/arrow/broadhead combination was probably 320 fps. Broadhead was a NAP Killzone COC 100gr.

I find the speed to be more useful for keeping a flatter trajectory but I can't imagine going any higher than I have now. The draw weights get crazy even with the ratcheting cocking aids.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
To kill a deer almost any crossbow will provide enough penetration.  More speed is good for making range estimation a bit less critical.  Near the upper limits speedwise bow problems increase.  String and cable life is shorter also.  It's a personal decision, there's no right or wrong answer.  I like a crossbow that's not at the upper limit of crossbow speeds, mine shoots around 380 FPS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top