Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 6:56:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Your property your rules. I've shot them out the bathroom window.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Your setup seems reasonable.

The alternative is to sit in a tree stand mask your smell and wait, exactly what you would do on your deck

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing by my book.  I wouldn't care for it, but that's because I like being in seclusion when I go hunting.

You get all kinds when it comes to what is or isn't ethical when it comes to hunting.

People get all sorts of butt hurt about people hunting from tree stands, especially out west.  Another big one is hunting over bait.  Pay no attention to them.  Hunt how you want to hunt.  The experience is entirely subjective.  Make it as difficult or easy as you fell necessary.  

I took a friend who showed me the ropes out west, hunting back east.  He was one of these "hunting from a tree stand isn't hunting, it's ambushing" types.  I said go ahead and try spot and stalking a nice buck when all the leaves are on the ground.  He spent two days running deer out of the plot of woods I put him in.  By the third day I asked him if he was ready to try it my way.  Put his ass up in a tree stand over a well beaten game trail in between a 60 acre CRP field and a bunch of oak trees and told him not to get down until he sticks a deer or until it gets dark.  He was tagged out by 9 am.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe that's the problem.  The guy is from Denver.  Maybe he has no idea what eastern forests look like?  He wanted to tell me what I don't know about hunting strategy.  I replied that the first strategy is to adapt your method to your terrain. This really seemed to bother him.
View Quote

What a lot of folks don't understand out west when it comes to hunting is the relative small areas people have to hunt and where game will live.

These guys hunt wilderness areas that are hundred thousand acres plus.  There are a few national forest bigger than some of the smaller east coast states out west.  At the same time food is not concentrated.  So animals are pretty nomadic.  Core areas for deer can be really large.  So in order to be successful one has to be mobile and if you blow your chance in one area there is always the next valley over for a chance at an animal.

A good sized farm back east is 1-2 thousand acres.  Most of that is under plow.  So at most you have 100 acres to hunt on a farm that is 1-2 thousand acres big, that isn't continuous cover either.  It's an over grown fence row here, a 20 acre CRP field over there, and a 60 acre wood lot over there, etc...  On top of that the neighboring land often isn't accessible.  So as soon as deer feel pressure they move on to the next wood lot where they won't be molested.  Hunting with the least intrusive method possible is the only way to insure success.

Most people don't have access to a farm that big either.  They have to hunt 20-60 acre farms or family land with maybe 5-10 acres of huntable areas.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like that guy needs to mind his own.

Hunting ethics are usually based in emotion, not logic.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
He is entitled to his opinion - even if he's wrong! I have no problem with you hunting from there. If it's legal I don't care how anyone else hunts - the only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Well it certainly doesn't sound like your breaking any game laws, at least not the ones here so you're ok there.

Ethics can be a subjective issue entirely.   Some subject are easy to say, yea don't do that and most people would agree.  A lot of areas are so much more subjective.  

One ongoing battle I see developing here is the antler restrictions pushed by the QDMA folks.  They're not entirely wrong, they will get bigger bucks doing it their way  BUT the downsides is;
- those guys tie up a lot more area doing it their way (their money, their rules),  
-they strongly preach and sometimes chastise guys that don't buy into their methods especially on what constitutes a good hunt and good buck.  One area they're mellowing on is allowing senior citizen and youth hunters to take deer that they don't allow for regular members; smaller bucks, does, etc. so that they can still harvest game.  I kept discussing this point with some guys pushing for it, reminding them they'll be in their late 60's and 70's some day.  They don't walk, see, or hear as good as they used to and many want game meat because it's a good heart healthy meat.   The youth, they just want some fun and success.  

Well I've gotten off track a bit but yea, it's a perspective thing.  Would I intentionally hunt from the porch? probably not unless my health was an issue.  Is it wrong?  Nope, just not the kind of hunt I want.  That said i have indeed killed deer from the house.  I was all suited up with my bow and walked out the door for the half mile walk to my stand that was 2 ridges away.  Right in my side yard was a large bodied 6 point.  I arrowed him from the deck but he jumped the string noise and I ended up clipping the shoulder blade.  I got the deer but it was a very long track as the arrow only penetrated to one lung due to the hit on the edge of the front shoulder blade bone.  Am I prideful of that hunt?  Not really as it was not an adventure until the tracking part.  Will I let someone bust my balls over it?  Could care less,  I ate venison that winter and I had so little time to hunt then.  A few years later i was house sitting for my dad while he was in Florida.  Next door is a gun club that we had keys to and acted as free caretakers pretty much just keeping an eye on the place.  We could hunt there but when their group was up, we left them alone to enjoy it.  One of bitter cold Sunday they had a big group and were doing drives, they even hit a piece of our property right near the house which kind of irked me just because of being so close to the house.  Anyways they pushed off and away from the house and I, while watching a football game in the living room, saw a deer squeeze out of their drive as they went by.  It crossed over to the treeline between me and the neighbors on the other side.  About an hour goes by, the drivers and hunters had moved off to another chunk,  and that deer circled back, and was recrossing my back field near the house.  I got my slug gun and opened the window and dumped a deer 50 yards behind the house.  Saw it was dead dead, and closed the window and watched the last five minutes of the first half of the football game.  At halftime I went out and put my tag on it and dragged it into the garage and cleaned it while hanging where it was out of the snow and bitter winds.  Easiest deer hunt ever.  no regrets, just venison in the freezer while I was under employed at the time.  

It's up to me to decide what makes a hunt and whether the hunt is the actual goal or the meat.  I broke no laws, I tagged my game, i used the meat fully.  Generally I like and desire more of a hunting experience; scouting, tree stand improvements, food plots (not mine but I helped friends work theirs), a good half mile or so walk and a treestand or ground blind is plenty satisfying.  Not sure I even want to go back to walking 6 miles stalking woods.  Hell it's hard to find 6 miles contiguous to hunt here anymore unless you're in the Adirondaks.  I confess I'm old and I like to get my deer, tag it, and then go get the ATV to cart it out.  

I wouldn't worry about the internet commandos.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't really see the problem. I walk out into my back yard , just out of sight of my house to hunt sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't see a problem with it, hell I'm jealous. I wish I didn't have to wake up at 4-5am and drive 1.5 hours away to hunt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Hunting location I don't see a problem with it.

Distance wise you should stay under 30 for whitetail.  They can hear the shot and move before the arrow arrives at further distances.

Plus from your picture that's not super accurate at 40 yds.  Not bad and plenty good for closer in.  But at 40 you could very likely have the deer move and hit it in a bad spot.

That's why most archery hunters stick to inside 30 yds or closer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#15]
That is not very accurate for 40yds. Make sure you are not gripping your bow at the shot and pulling straight back(sometimes I find myself doing this).
Also concentrate on follow through. (Holding the bow on target after release)

I belive some places have a law about being so far away from a dwelling. If not good luck!

The further you practice the easier the closer shots will be
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Because of my work schedule I sometimes don't get to hunt much more than an hour or two at a time. Last year my hunting season was 1 hour long. I drove out to one of our properties, found a deer and shot it. Is that hunting? No. But it did put valuable meat in the freezer. Funny thing is I did hunt Idaho last season also and passed on 3 nice bucks. I probably would have shot the first buck I saw in ID if I didn't have one in the fridge already. I had a great hunt in ID and came home happy without killing anything. But I was also happy to put game in the freezer close to home.

They are where you find them. You decide what is right for you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He is entitled to his opinion - even if he's wrong! I have no problem with you hunting from there. If it's legal I don't care how anyone else hunts - the only person you have to satisfy is yourself.
View Quote
This.

You putting meat on the table legally, then good for you. The most humane and efficient manner is what is ethical. That turd is just pissed because he has it harder than you. Hunt on, BBQ and make sausages, live off what you harvest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:32:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your property your rules. I've shot them out the bathroom window.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is this reasonably accurate enough to hunt?  Range 40 yards measured. Note that arrows are not consistent.  These are $1 ea closeouts form walmart end of season clearance.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/Shotar/IMG_20150706_195630_zpscf2pqprd.jpg
View Quote
That's not accurate enough to hunt, you want to really close that grouping before you try to take a shot at an animal at that distance. Also 40 yards is really stretching it for whitetail, at that distance there is a good chance of them jumping the string and having either a miss or a bad hit. As to the guy giving you shit for wanting to hunt off your deck, he's a fucking nitwit. Plenty of us dream about being able to do that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
For me, hunting is about getting out into the woods and enjoying the outdoors. That setup looks like an evening on the deck. If you get what you are looking for out of doing it that way, that's what it's about. Everyone gets their enjoyment from different aspects of hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top