Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2012 11:18:06 PM EDT
Is anyone using high end airsoft guns as training tools?
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe it was Gunsite that was using KWA.  
There is a company that makes one so detailed you have to hit the bolt release after inserting magazine to make it fire.
1200-1500 bucks IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 1:51:26 AM EDT
[#2]
1200-1500 bucks? Heck fire! I could buy my 1st real 3 gun rifle for that price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting video on the subject from Travis Haley:
http://youtu.be/GoHA-rhGeG4

Also Keith Garcia I believe has some youtube videos on the subject as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone seen an airsoft shotgun that an be loaded like a traditional shotgun? I have seen several that take an imitation shotgun shell as a magazine, but it doesn't seem that you can load several in, just the one. I don't get as much live fire practice time as I would like and this would be something I could practice with anywhere.

And yes I practice loading with my shotgun, I just want something I could practice other things with as well like follow through, and safety manipulation, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 11:32:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beers78n9] [#7]
I agree with Jesse. Get some dummy shells and practice loading.

But if you are interested, Maruzen M1100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buBfO3qH0RA

Amazon has one left
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man. Thats what I was looking for. A little more expensive than what I thought.....

I already do load quite a bit, but between the kids, the wife, the house and the job I really don't get to the range often...well ever. Really until matches, and then very sporadically between them. And when I'm gone because of my job and can't really take guns with me, I'd like to have some way to practice.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tokyo Marui Hicapa 5.1 is dead on a STI Eagle.  Runs like a raped ape and is very affordable.  I mounted a C-More on mine to mimmick my open pistol (concentrating on it this year instead of 3-Gun) and can say it's paid off.  That couple with dry fire and being blessed to shoot at Rio Solado make progression pretty easy.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 10:28:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_Andersen] [#10]
Originally Posted By uscbigdawg1:
Tokyo Marui Hicapa 5.1 is dead on a STI Eagle.  Runs like a raped ape and is very affordable.  I mounted a C-More on mine to mimmick my open pistol (concentrating on it this year instead of 3-Gun) and can say it's paid off.  That couple with dry fire and being blessed to shoot at Rio Solado make progression pretty easy.

Rich

Rich is right regarding the Tokyo Marui.  I have a couple of those that I used coupled with dry fire to work on pistol speed, shooting, and transitions.  KWA and KSC both make glock replicas that are pretty good, but the Tokyo Marui is by far the best 2011 replica out there.  I tried several other guns before settling on this one.  There are acutally a couple of full metal guns available, but the all plastic design of the TM has more recoil and the slide tracks faster, making it more similar to my competition gun.

I have a combination of homemade stuff and targets from BAMairsoft.com in my garage, and will spend a lot of time on everything from basic dry-fire drills all the way to planning/shooting full stages.  

To me it is a lot more fun than dry fire.  Targets are reacting, your slide is moving and you have to track your front sight, and with the right equipment, everything but recoil control is exactly the same.  I spend a lot of time working on things like movement, target transitions, and positions.  I also always try and end practice with my real gun in dry fire to reinforce everything on that platform.  

Like everyone is saying, i don't think it is too relavant for shotgun training.  I would opt for real range time and practice loading at home for that.  But as far as pisto/rifle goes...game on.

One of the best things about it is that you are still at home, so you can make real progress with minimal impact on family time etc.  I made GM this year in limited division in USPSA and I can tell you that airsoft played a huge part in that accomplishment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
My son uses this for rifle training:  http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/8142-magpul-pts-lm4-gas-blowback-professional-training-rifle-kwa-103-00101.aspx

and this for his pistol training one similar to this:  http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1545-we-hi-capa-5-1-p14-1911-gas-blowback-pistol-gbb-we0350334tm.aspx

Both of his airsoft guns (in gas blow back) offer very good training.  With the benefit of doing it cost effectively in terms of "ammo".  Great training aids in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I've picked up a KWA ATP, some green gas, .30g BB's, and a spare mag. It feels very similar to my Glock that I use in matches, tho idiots to find a way to put a fiber optic sight on it to better match my 3-gun pistol.

I've been using 1/2 IPSC paper stuck to corrogated plastic on the walls to avoid drywall dents. I also made some Kydex knockdown targets by cutting 4"x6" pieces then heating and folding it to a 4"x4" target with angled part as the base. I have a large office, 2 hr lunches, good ventilation, a couple fans running when I shoot, and a lot of fun during lunch after I eat. Recoil is less than a .22, even with the reciprocating slide, but the trigger feels similar to what I'm used to. You can visibly SEE the BB's flying and hitting targets, so I don't even paste the IPSC targets.

In the offseason when I can't shoot, I'm planning to shoot as many indoor pistol matches as possible, shoot a metric ton of airsoft in the office, and work on shotgun reloads as much as possible. With pistol being my weakest skill right now, I'm hoping this really helps!
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently purchased a rifle and pistol to play with, the low end WE brand.  My initial attempts at charging green gas were a joke, with more gas escaping than charging.  After a check with my grandson, I get the impression that perhaps this is the norm, kind of a common problem in the old days with refillable propane lighters. He says the micro rubber O ring seals break so fast that he and his friends use them in bulk?   Since co2 mags are available for my models I plan to order a couple of those to try out until the designers get it right on refill technology.

I just got in some of the expensive reactive targets to shoot at, a star and a spinner, along with lots of the cheaper aluminium knock-downs.  I thought the star was pricey BUT after pricing one for 22LR I decided this was a bargain!

PS: The WE version of the M&P leaks so bad that my usual attempt at filling only allows about two rounds down range!  The rifle does a lot better but BUT still allows a lot of wasted gas to get there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gakracker:
I recently purchased a rifle and pistol to play with, the low end WE brand.  My initial attempts at charging green gas were a joke, with more gas escaping than charging.  After a check with my grandson, I get the impression that perhaps this is the norm, kind of a common problem in the old days with refillable propane lighters. He says the micro rubber O ring seals break so fast that he and his friends use them in bulk?   Since co2 mags are available for my models I plan to order a couple of those to try out until the designers get it right on refill technology.

I just got in some of the expensive reactive targets to shoot at, a star and a spinner, along with lots of the cheaper aluminium knock-downs.  I thought the star was pricey BUT after pricing one for 22LR I decided this was a bargain!

PS: The WE version of the M&P leaks so bad that my usual attempt at filling only allows about two rounds down range!  The rifle does a lot better but BUT still allows a lot of wasted gas to get there.
View Quote

Might be a problem with that brand. My KWA ATP mags take a charge pretty cleanly and usually shoot 3 mags worth without being refilled.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want some pretty slick targets, check these out.
No, I don't work for them, and they were bought on my own dime for practice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pixamite1:
1200-1500 bucks? Heck fire! I could buy my 1st real 3 gun rifle for that price.
View Quote

Except you can't do force on force with real gun.

Airsoft gives that.  You moving and the target moving and shooting back at you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top